Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Diesel Data Dump

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 09:44 PM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
ExPACamper: For me and others like me would you mind labeling the x and y axes in your graphs. I assume that the horizontal axis on both graphs is time. But what is the vertical axis? And what does PerDel mean?

Old 05-02-2015, 04:05 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Tim Hodgson
ExPACamper: For me and others like me would you mind labeling the x and y axes in your graphs. I assume that the horizontal axis on both graphs is time. But what is the vertical axis? And what does PerDel mean?
Hi Tim. I think you confused me with someone with technical knowledge, LOL.

Actually, I know a bit, but no where near the others in this thread about PERDELs, but here's the gist of it (until someone comes along with a better and more complete answer )

The above graphs I made are of a specific test. In this case I used AutoEnginuity to log Cylinder Rotational Velocity (CRV) for each cylinder and initiated a Cylinder Contribution Test (CCT). I ran it a few times to get a bigger log.

PERDEL is PERcent DELta, a measurement of the difference between cylinder performance against the expected performance (of the other cylinders, I think?)

In any case, the closer to ZERO, the better. I read that over 4 is a sign of a problem, which can be bad UCVH, bad injector, injector wear, etc.

So to read my graph above, the x axis is the period of the test and y axis is Percent Delta (PERDEL).

All we're looking for in this test is "Any cylinders reading too high during this test?"

My #8 is too high. I have been throwing a GP#3 code and occasionally others that most likely indicate a UVCH or connection issue. I am replacing both harnesses to be sure, since I'm doing a lot to the top area and will have most of the "stuff" removed that is normally in the way to get to our valve covers ')

I *may* have a worn or bad injector, it may need tensioned, cups, or a good smack with a hammer! LOL!

In my case, it will be good to see this test and graph, then compare it to a future test when I replace the UVCH and add the FRx and HPx, and refurb my fuel system, which should help balance things, provide better fuel flow, eliminate air from the fueling system, and stop the fuel dead heading of cylinder #8 (a known problem-child in our engines).

The graphing project is designed to aid in the interpretation of the logs and tests that are the most helpful in diagnosing problems or overall health of our engines.

There are a number of folks involved who have embarked on this project to aid in the, "Okay, I ran my logging program (AE for example), and have this file full of PID readings. Now what? What does it all mean?"

I'm just a small part, making a spreadsheet and graphing tool to make their job a little easier Automatic graphing, no black belt "Excel-fu" required! Haha!

I had been referencing a good post that explained PERDEL, CRV, and CCT, but can't put my fingers on it right now

Was awakened by the carbon monoxide detector...I unplugged it to put polyurethane on the tongue and groove we installed on that wall and forgot to plug it back in. It was reminding us that it had been running on battery for a couple of days- at 4am!

So hopefully this brief explanation and the terms above get you started learning about PERDELs, there is MUCH more to read and learn about it.

BTW, if you're interested in this project, Tugly and White Buffalo are spearheading it. Not sure who all are involved, but I can't wait to see the results!

Old 05-02-2015, 04:10 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Old 05-02-2015, 09:39 AM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic

ExPACamper and you Other Guys: Kudos to you on your project! A condensed post #62 combined with the information in thread mentioned in #63 would make a great sticky for your D-3 project. The approach of not only getting your truck up to stock performance before modding, but logging its performance to verify that it is up to stock performance, and then logging it after modding would be, in my opinion, the best way to approach modding or even maintaining/repairing our trucks.

For instance, I am curious ExPACamper, if the Frx alone would resolve the PerDel issue with #8?

I know that there are others who know intuitively what the various repairs/mods accomplish/don't accomplish by their extensive experience, but I also know that there must be threads in our forum where members are doing a particular mod relying only on "faith" that it will make their truck "better." An actual scan tool base line before compared with an after repair/mod scan would help me and others learn empirically really what works and what doesn't.

Am I just doing a way lesser version of Clux by "stating the obvious?"

Old 05-02-2015, 11:53 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tim, that is the vision .... Have a tool that will not only help diagnose problems but put the data behind the mod/upgrade. John(ExPACamper) is doing an incredible job putting this program together....I'm just trying to play with it so he can work out any formula tweaks. Occasionally I break out a crayon to help color in the lines.....I'm still trying to figure out how to hand John a beer through the phone....

Hats off to you John.....great work!

Old 05-02-2015, 12:17 PM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic

Tugly, white Buffalo, ExPACamper and Others: * I have no business suggesting a title to something I have had no input in authoring, but to me, 3D could be an appropriate abbrev. for your project because it will allow us a three dimensional graphical vision of the internal operations of our engines. Edit: I see in post #56, Tugly suggested "PID 3D." Right on. (So, this is a case of great minds thinking with my lesser mind eventually catching up. Although, given the visualization enabled by your 3-dimensional graphing, I think "PID 3D" next to a miniature one of those graphs as a logo could be an idea for your home page.)

(OK back to angle grinding/cutting off the stupid 1 7/8" hitch on the jet ski trailer because it does not play well with all our other 2" hitches... Why do I always put the gloves on after I have cut a finger!?!)

* My second use ever of an emoticon. You guys deserve it!

Old 05-02-2015, 08:29 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Thanks, Tim. I also can't wait to see what these really knowledgeable folks do with the info they are collecting! That's where the real rubber will meet the road!

Honestly, so many good folks here and such a group of folks with so much knowledge and experience with these engines, I REALLY APPRECIATE all you guys all do!

Old 06-23-2015, 08:23 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
While this project goes through different stages of stop and go because of personal schedules, there is significant movement right now. The data is being "generified", to hide the personal and tuner information. Some of the data reflects whether it's with a tow tune, an 80 HP tune, a 100 HP tune, or the like - but not who wrote the tune.

The name that's sticking by default is PID 3D. It's a double entendre (I like those) for Diesel Data Depot and for giving another dimension to the data. PID 3D is "buzzy" in our tech world today, and it has the triple rhyme that my alliteration frequently contains - so it's fitting on many levels.

We still have one Herculean task to complete - fill out the vehicle information sheet for each set of data. The data is useful for everybody, and I can pretty much single out the tunes by looking at the numbers - but that's an acquired skill that I don't believe everybody want to attain. What we really need is to have the mods listed for each data set and graph available, so people with similar/identical mod combinations can compare notes.

To that end, I am officially asking for a little help with this task. Many of you have your mods in your signatures, of those - several are not current, many have mods in the profiles but not in the signatures, and there are others with no mods listed anywhere on the forum - but they are in the truck.

I have a questionnaire made up in a spreadsheet, but not everybody has Excel (Costly Microsoft software) or Open Office (free) installed. I'm not sure how to make a PDF with open fields that can be filled out and submitted electronically. I don't know if we can even contact everybody in my list of data - some of this goes back a bit. For those that want to see what the plan is, I have attached the Excel file. It can be opened with older versions of MS Office, Open Office, or just about any spreadsheet.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:05 PM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic

I can't open the file. I have Microsoft Excel. I also have Adobe Acrobat Pro 9 so I should be able to convert it to a field fillable pdf if you can email me the Excel file.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:05 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
I didn't have any trouble and sent back my spreadsheet.

What error are you getting when you try to download?

Old 06-23-2015, 08:24 PM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic

ExPACamper: When I double click on the link it opens an Open/Save/Cancel request at the bottom of the screen which says:

Do you want to open or save attachment.php (34.0 KB) from ford-trucks.com?

This happens regardless of whether or not I already have Microsoft Excel open when I double click.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:23 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
ExPACamper: When I double click on the link it opens an Open/Save/Cancel request at the bottom of the screen which says:

Do you want to open or save attachment.php (34.0 KB) from ford-trucks.com?

This happens regardless of whether or not I already have Microsoft Excel open when I double click.
Right-click it and choose "Save link as"

This will allow you to save it as the .xls file

Old 06-23-2015, 10:36 PM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic

ExPACamper: Nope. When I right click I have the option to "Save Target As" and it still come up as a unreadable to me .php file. If I am the only one having this problem, don't worry about it. However, my offer to create the fields in a .pdf file still stands if someone emails it to me.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:50 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
ExPACamper: Nope. When I right click I have the option to "Save Target As" and it still come up as a unreadable to me .php file. If I am the only one having this problem, don't worry about it. However, my offer to create the fields in a .pdf file still stands if someone emails it to me.
Hmmm....

What browser are you using? Opera? Or maybe a Mac?

I've also tried clicking and double-clicking on the file as you are and I got the .xls in all cases.

It sounds like you are getting bitten by the vBulletin bug (intended as a workaround a long time ago).

Try downloading the .php file, then rename it to sample.xls and open it. See if that works.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:30 PM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic

Lenovo pc. I use IE11 for Ford-Trucks.com but Safari, Maxthon, even Firefox for other sites.

Quick Reply: Diesel Data Dump