1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

96 E350 Van racing conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 08:43 PM
David40
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blageurt
.....Other than that I would just buy a re-man PCM from these guys and just put it in .....then start to buck around with the wiring....AUTO ECM ELECTRONICS | Welcome to Auto ECM!
Have you read the fine print from those guys? The fact that probably nobody around here is a certified tech voids their warranty right off the bat.

All ECMs must be installed by a certified technician. Improper installation or proper installation misdiagnoses are not covered under our warranty policy. ECM Depot/Auto ECM Electronics assume no liability in paying any labor, auto rental, towing, living expenses, or any others, etc, under any and all circumstances.
  • All R & R units if failed to perform, must be sent back to our facility for testing. ECM Depot (Auto ECM Electronics) will perform a warranty service on the module or replace the module, which ever is most expedient.
  • Any ECM or TCM with damage caused by external electrical problem including faulty wiring, electrical shorts, open shorts, and/or improper installation will void all warranty.
  • Any damage caused to the ECM by collision, water damage, corrosion, rust contamination will void all warranty warranty.
  • We do not refund shipment and/or freight charges to or from our facility.
  • All units repaired under warranty are shipped on regular ground shipment; there will be no second day or next day air warranty shipment unless customer pays for expedited shipment at that time.
  • All shipping is done via UPS, we do not insure any packages, and we are not liable for any unit if lost or damage by UPS. We do not reimburse for shipping cost.
  • We do not take any units in only for the sole purpose of testing it. Units must be diagnosed properly prior to sending it in for repairs; we have the right to repair the unit without getting authorization from customer. If our technicians find nothing is wrong with the unit then we reserve the right to charge a standard test fee.
  • If an alternate problem is found after receipt of our unit, indicating another problem with vehicle other than the control module, a return will not be granted; our units will not be purchased for testing on behalf of the vehicle tech.
  • If original failure of the ECM was due to another issue on the vehicle, and that issue is not remedied before installation of rebuilt unit, warranty will not be provided due to failure of vehicle techs responsibility of correcting the original problem.
  • Returned units must have diagnostic printout, work order printout, or dealer notes providing proof of vehicle diagnostics pointing towards failure of replacement or rebuilt unit. Our technicians will corroborate such information with bench test of unit in order to correct outstanding issue.
  • Any order once placed, must be cancelled within 1 hour after placing the order, if unit was shipped and refused by customer, their is a 25 percent re-stocking fee, plus programming fee, plus shipping charges will not be refunded.
  • All ECMs being sent in for warranty repair must have prior approval from warranty department and must have a claim ticket.
  • Any tampering with our seal automatically voids the warranty.

Old 03-28-2015, 09:28 PM
blageurt
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You must be a Union Guy .....or NEW ...
Well when my truck does not move I could care less about the fine print.....I am just trying to help the OP...I can switch a PCM in 10 minutes......In my 525K and Counting ...experience avec le 7.3 in a VAN....PCM's rarely fail.....when they do ..you need to REPLACE them....That is why I have 4 of them and 7 IDM's.....breathe....

Old 03-29-2015, 07:00 AM
David40
Cross-Country
lol, if I was a Union guy I wouldn't have to worry about money and I wouldn't care. But take what just happened to me: I ordered a PCM for Solo Electronics, put it in, van won't start. Sent it back, got a second one, put it in, van won't start. Under that Auto ECM company's fine print they would have said, "Sorry you are not a certified tech, etc., we think you burned out those new units because you don't know what your doing". At least after two trys Solo gave me a refund in two days.
I've got another one coming from Flagship One so I'll see if they can send me one that actually works.

Old 03-29-2015, 11:14 AM
blageurt
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You are really Unlucky then....that has never happened to me .....I have read similar issues from Auto Computer Exchange but not the one I Listed...It all comes down to quality control I guess....Good Luck

Old 03-30-2015, 07:46 AM
dustybumpers
FTE Legend
Some computers need to be flashed before they will start. Be sure to buy a plug and play computer.
Look on your door or you emissions lable, and get your calibration code. This has to be correct, or it will not run your truck

Old 04-09-2015, 12:59 PM
David40
Cross-Country
Thumbs up

After two tries I gave up on Solo. Ordered one from Flagship up in New York area. They were slammed with orders so it took a week to get it. I knew they would do a better job when they asked for the VIN number so they could program the thing to my particular VIN.
Well I got it, put it in, and my Engine light is off now. I thought something was wrong because the next day I could hardly hold my van back. My idle was way high so that with my foot completely off the gas pedal I could hold 46 MPH like a cruise control. So I'm wondering what the heck this might be, maybe the Throttle Position Sensor. So as I was driving I quickly stomped the pedal and to my shock, it stayed to the floor and my engine raced, I could not stop it. Thinking quickly, turned off the key to kill the engine and coasted onto a side street. I pulled everything apart right there on the side of the road and I found that when I had taken everything apart to run some tests I had taken that large connector mounted on the top the cowl and disconnected it from the mount. That fell onto the throttle linkage and jammed it into the high idle, and then stuck the throttle wide open when I stomped the pedal. I'll try real hard not to make that mistake again.
So for now everything appears to be working. I'll know for sure after a few days of driving around. Thanks to everyone for all the help.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:42 PM
mos68x
Senior User
Man you got my hopes up for nothing lol I was hoping to see another version of the "Farm Truck" from Street Outlaws rolling around on the streets somewhere to throw off some hot rod Mustang or tuner car lol.

Old 04-09-2015, 08:59 PM
David40
Cross-Country
Yeah, that would have been glorious, LOL!!

Old 04-09-2015, 11:52 PM
mos68x
Senior User
Originally Posted by David40
Yeah, that would have been glorious, LOL!!
lol dont tempt me, i might just do it myself since i will be replacing sheet metal with fiberglass lol