Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

To purchase additional warranty coverage of not to purcahse:

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 07:35 PM
RRRSkinner
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Frantz
I don't know them. Not that they are bad, I just don't know them. We use a pretty big company called Resource Automotive.

Skinner, It is a sliding scale. I've never heard anyone say "The factory warranty is perfect as it is", so I did make an assumption that you either wanted less warranty, or more warranty. If that's false, then lucky you, the factory nailed your needs!

They are forced warranties because I have to get it when I buy a new car. Ford, Chevy, and every company has figures to determine how much they will likely spend on warranties. If you think that isn't included in the price of the car, you're being pretty naive. If you think the companies don't error on the side of caution with those numbers which in term generates profit, once again.... Typically when a company extends a warranty beyond the industry norm it's for marketing, either to have a perceived edge over the competition, or to cover up for past sins. Every car that Ford makes has a profit margin. Manufacturing, marketing, warranty repairs, transportation, etc. Ford makes money selling each car. I really don't care if you consider a warranty a set part of the purchase price (as I do), or if you say it's part of marketing only, it still has an avg cost per unit, and we the consumers pay more than that cost when we buy the car.

I'm sure the reason they are forced is because people wouldn't be willing to fork over $40k for a pickup that might have a computer go bad a mile down the road. In this way the warranty would be calculated as part of marketing. A vehicle people don't have to worry about expenses on is value adding. Because many people don't want to pay more for more coverage, but are perfectly content to accept the factory warranty that may or may not fit their lifestyle very well, they simply balance the marketing value with the actual cost. They find a positive position and that's how we ended up with 3/36 and 5/60 as an industry norm. So some of the cost of the factory warranty is absorbed by the marketing value, I'd argue that the MSRP would have to be significantly less in order to justify an higher risk purchase. Ford has simply found a way to justify us paying more for a vehicle because they are assuming risks after the purchase. Hence, more profit, higher purchase price, and my point.

At the end Skinner, it's not that you disagree that gets annoying, it's that you sound like Eric Cartman making fun of Sean Hanity in the dances with smurfs episode of South park. You attack my specific statements (which is fine and healthy), but you do so without substance. Tossing a few phrases you learned in philosophy class doesn't win an argument. Even if I'm wrong about some of it, I'm genuine in my intend, as I'm sure you are. I try to fully explain my understanding to both prove my point but to allow for group refinement of an idea that does affect us all. I do buy cars too, quite a few actually. I don't have the figures of how much profit Ford makes when factoring its warranty compared to when you buy an aftermarket. I do know that the company we deal with offers the same coverage for less than when I price out a Ford backed warranty. There is obviously a profit motive with warranties, but that doesn't mean it's a gouge... you know, unless you're being forced to get one and you don't want it like the built in factory warranty.
This is a good example of a very very flawed statement.

Old 07-07-2015, 01:25 AM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Frantz
Do you have figures to back that up?
That would be an express lane to the unemployment line.

There is no question extended warranty plan is a profit item. Not even going to debate that. The question is whether or not standard warranty is a profit item. Your answer is in the annual business report.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:30 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Everything has a basic warranty, even the new shoes that you bought. A manufacturer has to believe that there could be some probability of a defect(s) in a certain period of initial new ownership.

Additionally the work that Ford pays a dealer to perform has to be cheaper than the work that we would pay a dealer to perform out of pocket. Ford will provide the parts at cost and most likely micromanage the dealer's hourly rate and time it takes to perform the work.

Are all warranties bad? Look at the benefits of a road hazard warranty for a new set of tires. That usually includes lifetime balancing, rotation and flat repair. Tire rotation is a small fee for sure but balancing is about $8.00 per wheel. A flat repair is usually about $20.00 per wheel. Balance and rotate a set of tires every 7500 miles for 50K miles and you've spent a good chunk of money, much more than the initial warranty cost.

I don't see an extended warranty as a waste of money though it may it not be for everyone. I think it's important to shop for coverage if you want one and choose wisely.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:20 AM
RRRSkinner
Senior User
Originally Posted by tseekins
Everything has a basic warranty, even the new shoes that you bought. A manufacturer has to believe that there could be some probability of a defect(s) in a certain period of initial new ownership.

Additionally the work that Ford pays a dealer to perform has to be cheaper than the work that we would pay a dealer to perform out of pocket. Ford will provide the parts at cost and most likely micromanage the dealer's hourly rate and time it takes to perform the work.

Are all warranties bad? Look at the benefits of a road hazard warranty for a new set of tires. That usually includes lifetime balancing, rotation and flat repair. Tire rotation is a small fee for sure but balancing is about $8.00 per wheel. A flat repair is usually about $20.00 per wheel. Balance and rotate a set of tires every 7500 miles for 50K miles and you've spent a good chunk of money, much more than the initial warranty cost.

I don't see an extended warranty as a waste of money though it may it not be for everyone. I think it's important to shop for coverage if you want one and choose wisely.

No. It is not a waste of money. For example, many people tack the cost of an extended warranty onto their loan and many of those same people live paycheck to paycheck and it is a real hardship to come up with even $1000 for a repair. I would urge those people to get the extended warranty.

For many, even expensive repairs--going big of let's say $5000 dollars, they go, well, only 5 vacations next year and they write a check, whip out cash or put it on a card and it doesn't bother them very much. Those people will have even more money in the long run.

My NSHO,

Rick

Old 02-22-2016, 09:40 PM
Tang95gt
New User
My 06/11 crew 4X4 EB max

I have had no power/Trans/etc/etc problems. My heated seat stop working on drivers side. My back-up camera screws-up with remote start. Passenger seatbelt acts fun sometimes. To be honest it has enough power & drive for everything I have done with it. That is all I'm willing to say (it's still under factory warranty)
So, if you were in the market for a 2015 truck and taking in all the research data that has surfaced on the 2009-2014 gen trucks, what would you do?

I think that majority of the previous gen trucks have done quite well. There have been some 5.0L failures, 3.5L failures, a bunch of condensation issues and some transmission issues along the entire series.

It seems that the 3.7L has been the most immune to any issues except for perhaps the 6.2L. The 5.0L and the 3.5L make up the majority of the F-150 sales hands down.

What say you?

Discuss.

Old 02-22-2016, 09:49 PM
Tang95gt
New User
My 06/11 crew 4X4 EB max

I have had no power/Trans/etc/etc problems. My heated seat stop working on drivers side. My back-up camera screws-up with remote start. Passenger seatbelt acts fun sometimes. To be honest it has enough power & drive for everything I have done with it. That is all I'm willing to say (it's still under factory warranty)
So, if you were in the market for a 2015 truck and taking in all the research data that has surfaced on the 2009-2014 gen trucks, what would you do?

I think that majority of the previous gen trucks have done quite well. There have been some 5.0L failures, 3.5L failures, a bunch of condensation issues and some transmission issues along the entire series.

It seems that the 3.7L has been the most immune to any issues except for perhaps the 6.2L. The 5.0L and the 3.5L make up the majority of the F-150 sales hands down.

What say you?

Discuss.