Sponsored by:

Noisy front leaf springs - brand new ATS

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 09:57 PM
01FordEx
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Noisy front leaf springs - brand new ATS

Been chasing this for a few weeks and getting fed up. Have a bad metal on metal "creaking" noise from the front at low speeds.

Background - Replaced springs with X code front and modded C code rear from Junior at ATS. Also replaced shocks at the same time. All hardware tightened with weight on suspension. Have rechecked torque on ubolts many times, even loosened and retightened both ends of the shackles, sway bar links, shocks, etc.

Can't get the noise to go away. Hard to pinpoint exactly where it's coming from but you can "feel" the noise in the back half of the front springs.

Any help appreciated...

Old 03-04-2015, 10:00 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Did you hear this noise AT ALL before change?

Is the noise mostly at takeoff and braking?

Old 03-04-2015, 10:10 PM
01FordEx
Tuned
No noise before the swap. It is present at low speeds at all times, not specific to starting or stopping. You can reproduce it by pushing the Ex when parked as well, it's not as pronounced but you can hear it...

Old 03-04-2015, 10:14 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Ok, well that pretty much rules out the body mounts, that drove Me insane on my previous ex.

Unless you twisted the body enough on your install that could of caused position 2 body mount to shift.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:17 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Going to throw this out there - did you grease the bushings and bolts at all before install? How about double checking the leaf springs for the shims that eliminate squeaking?

Old 03-04-2015, 10:20 PM
ATS Junior
SPONSOR
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Give us a call tomorrow. We open at 8:30 and leave at 6:00 EST.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:27 PM
01FordEx
Tuned
Bushings are preinstalled in the springs from ATS, but I am now questioning if the bolts at the shackle were greased before being installed...

Old 03-05-2015, 12:38 AM
A Rodder
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine creaked really bad, more so after a,new,front sway bar and then oem used X codes.

It was the fact that where the hellwig sway end links that fit the frame mount are a sloppy fit. The bolt that bolts the bushing to the frame mount is tight to the link bushing but loose in the frame mount. It was really bad.

I pulled them off, greased the crap out of all of it and tightened the hell out of them. Creaking went away.

Not if, but when it comes back I will weld the bolt to the mount so it can't rattle in it.

Old 03-20-2015, 07:22 PM
01FordEx
Tuned
Still fighting this, driving me nuts!

I have spoken with ATS and they have been more than helpful but are out of ideas. I have greased bolts, loosened and retightened everything I can at this point.

The noise can be "felt" in the rear portion of the driver front spring between the U-bolts and the rear shackle. It feels like the spring steel itself is causing it but I just don't think that's it.

Anyone else have ideas??

Old 03-20-2015, 07:31 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 834 Likes on 573 Posts
May sound silly, but have you tried greasing the springs themselves? I helped a buddy chase down some spring creaks a while back and greasing the leaves quieted it down.
We drove a wedge between the leaves to open up the gap a little then spooned a little grease on the areas that contact each other in normal operation. Don't trust the wedges and use a screwdriver or something to go between the leaves not your fingers!
Good luck!

Old 03-20-2015, 07:43 PM
A Rodder
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I honestly do not think it is your springs I think it is your sway bar bushings where they connect to the frame or the links themselves hitting the frame, try disconnecting the sway bar completely and drive the truck.

Do you have a front sway bar?

Old 03-20-2015, 08:07 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by A Rodder
I honestly do not think it is your springs I think it is your sway bar bushings where they connect to the frame or the links themselves hitting the frame, try disconnecting the sway bar completely and drive the truck.

Do you have a front sway bar?
Yes, if you try this you may also take that shock out too.

If all fails, it may be that during your istallation you twisted the frame/body enough that your body mount at same location your describing may have loosened up.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:32 PM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have seen the Monroe style shocks with the metal shroud get ever so slightly bent and then rub on the shock body. I second the idea of disconnecting the shock for a short test.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:05 PM
Lance Helmert
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Are you missing a shim between any of the leaves in the center of the spring? I agree with the other guys, unbolt everything you can to eliminate it as a noise source. Please take some pictures.

Old 03-21-2015, 03:29 PM
01FordEx
Tuned
Thanks for all the ideas, it is time to start disconnecting items and then test driving. I do have a front swaybar and I have loosened and retightened all the bolts. The links were replaced just before I bought the truck. Links are not touching the frame.

I did notice the front springs look to have only a piece of thin sheet metal between the two leaves at the center pin. With the u bolts tight I would think it would be OK but maybe not. There are isolators at the ends and the springs don't touch. I also opened up the clamp at the rear to eliminate potential rubbing there.

At this point I'm willing to try anything....

Quick Reply: Noisy front leaf springs - brand new ATS