Sponsored by: DP Tuner

No start initial finding

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 03:58 PM
meccox
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No start initial finding

Our 01 died a couple nights ago and i have not been able to restart it.
I've checked several items and have one distinct possibility for the cause but would like to confirm.

I notice close to no fuel pressure at the filter bowl. I cracked open one of the copper line fittings at the bowl since i don't have a gauge. Expected to see a healthy squirt of fuel but nothing with the key to ON then to Start.

Opened up the bowl and it was about half full. Tried key ON and level went up only a fraction of an inch. I hear the pump under the driver's seat.

Seems that the pump at the tank is pretty much not functioning but my question is why I'm not even getting an occasional firing with even some fuel in the bowl.

Oil level was fine, ICP did have a minor amount of oil on it, fuses all OK, and i swapped out the CPS with a new one.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Old 02-26-2015, 04:24 PM
jetdoc
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is there fuel in the tank?

Pasadena MD here....

Old 02-26-2015, 04:27 PM
williamg4x4
Mountain Pass

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds to me like a fuel jelling problem. How cold is it there? Do you treat your diesel? It will jell between the tank and the pump If its cold enough.

Old 02-26-2015, 04:41 PM
meccox
Freshman User
Tank is full and I do not treat it. Been in the teens to nearly 40 here

Old 02-26-2015, 05:19 PM
williamg4x4
Mountain Pass

I have had my truck jell up in the cold and what you are describing fits all the symptoms. get it indoors and warmed up. It will take sum time.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:34 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
What year and style truck. Have you done the in tank mods?

Old 02-27-2015, 05:42 AM
meccox
Freshman User
it's a 2001, CC F350. I have not done any tank mods

Old 02-27-2015, 06:16 AM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
The get it some place warm and see if it corrects itself is good advice.

If that doesn't work then you need to check fuel supply. With the pump running and fuel filter cap on you should be able to open the yellow drain valve on the back of the fuel bowl and get a pretty steady stream of fuel out of the drain line that dumps out near the front axle.
There isn't a pump in the tank, only a pickup foot, mixing chambers, screens(which could be clogged), a sending unit for fuel level gauge, and a return line. If your pump under the drivers seat is running but no fuel is getting to the bowl then the screens in the tank are clogged, your sucking air in someplace before the pump, or the pump is shot. You could get a container of clean fuel an run a hose to to the back of the pump and see if it will draw from the container. You'll need a tool to release the fuel line quick disconnect from the back of the pump. They are very cheap and available at any parts store. If it does draw then you have a problem in the tank. If not the pump may be shot.

edit.... keep in mind when you turn the key on but don't start the truck the pump only runs for about 15 secs then shuts off.

edit 2..... also I believe with the cap off the fuel bowl if the filter is lifted up then the plunger in the middle of the bowl is not depressed. This will cut off the fuel supply so you may not get fuel to the bowl with the cap off. I'm pretty sure this is how it works but I'm a little iffy on this so somebody jump in slap me down if I'm wrong

Old 02-27-2015, 07:34 AM
meccox
Freshman User
Paul-
These are great suggestions. I will check this evening.
Thanks

Old 02-27-2015, 05:42 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 801 Likes on 587 Posts
Just further to Paul's excellent advice above, if the yellow drain valve has not been used for a long time it may develop a leak once the stiff old o rings finally have something to do. I'd still use that method to check for fuel flow, but if a small diesel leak develops after you know why. New orings are dirt cheap and a whole OEM valve is reasonable.

The OE connection on the back of the fuel pump is kinda funky, see pic below.

Attached Images  
Old 02-27-2015, 06:59 PM
meccox
Freshman User
Actually I exercise the fuel bowl drain regularly. But the fuel line disconnect will be a new adventure. Haven't been able to do too much this evening since I'm reassembling our VW after its heater core exploded. That was exciting!

Old 03-04-2015, 06:11 PM
meccox
Freshman User
update-still no start

So i finally pulled the supply hose off the pump and thought i noticed a plug of something fall out--wax? Pump appears to be working. Added some 911 to the tank and filter bowl. Managed to break the FPR while tightening the fuel line. Just installed the billet FRP from Diesel O Rings filled the bowl, replaced the filter cap snug, turned key to On and got lots of fuel. Snugged the filter lid and went back to try to start. Did about 4 or 5 15 second attempts. Batteries are good and i think i had at least 10 volts while cranking. No firing. I couldn't see if i was getting white smoke out the tail pipe since it was dark--didn't smell anything though.

Is there a chance the fuel passages are air locked?

Any new ideas?

Thanks so much

Old 03-04-2015, 06:40 PM
williamg4x4
Mountain Pass

10 volts is not enough the ecm needs at least 11 volts or the IDM will not fire the injectors. get them battery's up and it will take sum cranking to get the air out.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:30 AM
meccox
Freshman User
I managed to break the small plastic clip that slides on the fuel line on the tank side of the pump. The line slides over the pump nipple but does that clip need to be replaced? The line appeasr to fit snuggly over the nipple.

Batteries are on the chargers. Should know something more in a bit

Old 03-05-2015, 09:27 AM
meccox
Freshman User
So i had both batteries on chargers and started out at about 13.3. Hooked up AE and got:
IPR Duty Cycle 14%
ICP pressure to 2300 while cranking
Fuel PW 4.19
ICP w KOEO 0

IPR nut is snug

Had a bunch of codes that all cleared including

B1359
P1280
P0472
P0198
P1670
P0603
P0478
P0541

But voltage while cranking at the cig lighter went to 9.2. So I guess i will look and the terminals and maybe bring them in to warm up.

Any other problems evident?

Quick Reply: No start initial finding