Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Riff Raff 4/4 on back order

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 03:37 PM
endobear
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Riff Raff 4/4 on back order

I am preparing to take a 3000 mile trip towing the 13,000lb beast and wanted to rebuild the turbo and change out my surging stock compressor wheel.
Stock wheel has no dusting, no in out play and very little side play. I am sick of the constantly having to let off throttle to stop the surging while towing. Also hoping for some lower EGTs.

Liking what Ive been reading on the RR 4/4 but its on back order and I need to be ordering something ASAP. I only have next weekend to get the turbo done, hutch and harpoon plus a few other things.

Whats the next best wheel?

Was tempted to bite the bullet and order the ATS ported housing.

Old 02-26-2015, 04:27 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Should have more ready to go tomorrow, so getting them to you by next weekend won't be a problem.

Old 02-26-2015, 04:55 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good man Clay ! Sounds like the 4/4 is a good seller.

Now since you brought up the ATS ported housing and if you have the cash I would go with the ported housing and the billet RR wheel for the ported housing. You can't get any better than that on a stock GTP38.
Just something to think about??

Old 02-26-2015, 04:55 PM
endobear
Tuned
Thanks Clay.
Ill order it then.

Old 02-26-2015, 05:05 PM
endobear
Tuned
Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
Good man Clay ! Sounds like the 4/4 is a good seller.

Now since you brought the ATS ported housing and if you have the cash I would go with the ported housing and the billet RR wheel for the ported housing. You can't get any better than that on a stock GTP38.
Just something to think about??
Ive been thinking pretty seriously about going with the ATS housing and have been ready to pull the trigger a couple of times. Something always comes up and the 7.3 fun $ fund always gets hit 1st.
I just need to get her happy and ease my mind.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:51 AM
F-250 Super Duty
Laughing Gas

Originally Posted by endobear
Ive been thinking pretty seriously about going with the ATS housing and have been ready to pull the trigger a couple of times. Something always comes up and the 7.3 fun $ fund always gets hit 1st.
I just need to get her happy and ease my mind.
I don't want to take money away from Clay but the wheel and a stock housing with a 1.0 exhaust housing is making me 43 psi for me. That's with 238/100's in too. Buy the housing if you want but you could get other upgrades....

Old 02-27-2015, 09:11 AM
Robert6401
Cargo Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I don't disagree with Mike often, but here's my 2 cents: If your real goal is to eliminate surge, get the ported housing. Save some coin and get the USA housing instead of the ATS, if that helps, but I tried a few different combos in an attempt to cure the exact surge you are describing and the ONLY thing that worked for me was a ported housing. Think of it this way, I would've SAVED money if I had listened to the same advice I'm giving you now and just gone with the ported housing in the beginning. Ultimately, it's your decision, but don't say I didn't warn you, lol.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:17 AM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by F-250 Super Duty
I don't want to take money away from Clay but the wheel and a stock housing with a 1.0 exhaust housing is making me 43 psi for me. That's with 238/100's in too. Buy the housing if you want but you could get other upgrades....
Mike I'll bet you have no problem driving a 1.0 turbine housing with 238/100's
I myself run a 1.0 turbine housing and love it for the fact that I run lower drive pressure when towing. Which helps EGT's for sure. BUT with stock injectors & tuning it is hard to spool up that 1.0 housing. So from my experience I miss having the quick spool with the .84 housing. Now if you want to split the difference there you would land on a ported compressor housing & billet wheel, .84 turbine housing with stock sticks I would think that would be a good daily driver and good at towing too.

Now in my case there is no ported compressor housing to be had for the E99. So I have to go after it differently. I have enough turbo parts that I am going to build a E99 GTP38 with a .84 housing, 360* rebuild kit, T.M. w.g. billet wheel and balanced to have a Bad*** insanely quick spooling turbo for daily driver turbo. This combo would not work well for towing heavy. And since I have to stick with a stock compressor housing I would use RR 6/6 or 7/7 for grins and giggles

Old 02-27-2015, 09:27 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
i wouldnt do the ATS, just from the readings here of them not fitting correctly..

Old 02-27-2015, 09:37 AM
Robert6401
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by timmyboy76
i wouldnt do the ATS, just from the readings here of them not fitting correctly..
I can't speak to the fitment of the ATS, as I went with the less expensive USA housing. BUT, those ATS housings have been around for a while and I only saw a couple of instances where people complained about the fit. I still believe there was more to that story.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:57 AM
endobear
Tuned
Still on the fence. Going to make my decision today.

Hate to do the 4/4 wheel and rebuild now only to spend all that time and money again if I decided to do a ported housing later. I cant stand the surge I get now and from what Im reading a ported housing is the best way to completely eliminate it.

Maybe Ill hold off on the AE and fuel pressure gauge and do the ported housing.

Old 03-01-2015, 03:09 PM
Robert6401
Cargo Master

You are seriously reliving my dilemma from about 3 years ago. It's your money, but I've already told you what I would do if I could do it over again.

Old 03-01-2015, 03:37 PM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
You need to compare the cost of the 4/4 wheel, plus the cost of the ported housing.... And what the heck, a rebuild kit as long as you're in that far....with the cost, and performance of a 38R.

Old 03-01-2015, 04:19 PM
endobear
Tuned
RR is selling the USA housing for more $ than the ATS.
Im not to far from ATS and they are selling the housing with the 4" intake adapter for a little more than RR. Not sure if RR sells the ATS housing w/the 4" intake or not. There site doesnt say.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:16 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by endobear
RR is selling the USA housing for more $ than the ATS.
Im not to far from ATS and they are selling the housing with the 4" intake adapter for a little more than RR. Not sure if RR sells the ATS housing w/the 4" intake or not. There site doesnt say.
I understand your point about getting all you can for your money. But be forewarned like Robert said you could still end up needing the ported housing and the RR billet wheel for the ported housing. Mind you the 4/4 is different then the ported housing RR billet wheel. Now as far as the GTP38R goes it costs about $1300 and a rebuild, ported housing & wheel is $800. The other down side to the 38R is it is NOT rebuildable where once you have a combo that works for the GTP38 it is less than $100 to rebuild. I would hate to see you spend your money twice to fix the same problem. I think if you were a flat lander a 4/4 would fix it but with the weight you tow and in the mountains. Do it once and be done. That's my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Riff Raff 4/4 on back order