6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Road armor bumper

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 04:56 AM
Czermeno21
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Road armor bumper

Does anyone here have a Road Armor Titan II bumper? If so, can you post some pictures. Also, does anyone have a cold air intake in their truck? If so, can you tell me what brand and if you seen any gains on the performance? Thank you !

Old 02-26-2015, 12:10 PM
jstnromero
Postmaster
I don't have a road armor bumper, but I will lend my .10 on the CAI. The general consensus regarding CAI systems is that they provide little/no gains. In the majority of situations they will provide the same flow as stock and possibly a lower level of filtration. Also, on a gas motor you are more susceptible to MAF sensor issues as the oil in the filter tends to stick to the sensor due to over-oiling.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:39 PM
Czermeno21
New User
Well ,thank you! I was looking to get an intake for my 6.7. I guess I'll just pass on that one.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:18 PM
pilgrimbizket
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I regret throwing an afe oil filter on my obs just because im not sure if im putting the adequate amount of oil. Dry filters are much easier to clean, the dumpster loves them when they get dirty

Old 02-27-2015, 12:58 PM
Firekite
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm not a fan of that bumper (or Road Armor stuff in general). I think it looks ridiculous. But that's just one person's take on it.

The CAI stuff, on the other hand, is essentially snake oil. People who spend money on it swallow the placebo effect fully, which is understandable, as they now have to defend their position or admit that it didn't change anything. Unless it's going above and beyond a different filter and/or location, the temperature differences are negligible within the context of engine performance. Meaning if you're not doing an extreme intercooler add-on with an extreme race tune and changing lots of other stuff on the truck (even fun stuff like fuel pumps), it gets you nothing tangible--especially in something like the 6.7L turbo diesel, which already has enough of that from the factory to make it work optimally for the application. The stock stuff isn't even on the border line--it's still good for a whole lot more power if you wanted to push it harder for racing purposes. Ford didn't tune it for 800hp/1200ft-lbs from the factory. If someone wants to hop up their truck to those levels, it's certainly possible, but your air filter is probably the least of your concerns at that point.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:37 PM
Randy_270
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I can't comment on the bumpers but I can comment on CAI. When I put a CAI on my truck, keep in mind that it was already DPF deleted when I put the intake on, I noticed about 1-2 mpg increase in fuel mileage. Most of you are probably going to argue that I didn't but I hand calculate my mileage. For some reason everyone seems to have different results, but those are my results. Also, I have about 31k miles with the cold air intake and never had a problem.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:21 PM
Firekite
Posting Guru
Ok, theory time. Why do you think a different filter would increase fuel efficiency substantially?

Old 02-27-2015, 09:15 PM
Randy_270
Laughing Gas
Doesn't matter what theory you have, my truck got better fuel mileage running the same fuel on the initial tank when the intake was installed, same route, same speeds, same driving style and I even used the same fuel station for repeated fill ups.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:23 PM
Firekite
Posting Guru
No, you're right, I'm sure. If only ford realized a little different filter would bump up mpg!

Old 02-27-2015, 09:29 PM
Randy_270
Laughing Gas
Its not just a different filter, I also have the lid off and the bottom plug out of my S&B intake so the filter is much more exposed along with a larger intake tube. Like I said, every truck reacts differently to intakes but on the 2010 F150 I had, and my current 2011 F350, I have notices an increase in fuel mileage. Though I installed my intake, exhaust, and tuner at the same time on my F150, I did notice more power and better fuel mileage (not at the same time).

Old 02-27-2015, 09:58 PM
Firekite
Posting Guru
Oh, wait. A larger tube. I take it all back. It's clear the stock truck is just choking for more air so it can be more fuel efficient.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:07 PM
Randy_270
Laughing Gas
Well Firekite, I don't see a point of us continually arguing over this so lets just agree to disagree

To the OP, I did notice a fuel mileage increase. Despite what everyone else says, you can't argue with real world results.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:10 PM
Blapensee
Elder User
honestly i did the CAI, DPF delete, EGR delete, methanol injection and a couple other things. i didn't see an increase in even 1 mpg

Old 02-27-2015, 10:36 PM
Firekite
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Randy_270
Despite what everyone else says, you can't argue with real world results.
You can question unsubstantiated anecdotes.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:56 AM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Czermeno21
Does anyone here have a Road Armor Titan II bumper? If so, can you post some pictures. Also, does anyone have a cold air intake in their truck? If so, can you tell me what brand and if you seen any gains on the performance? Thank you !
CAI is truly a world of look and look hard before you leap.

Perf gains: YES, take it to the bank, NO, the result is a loss in perf and mpg.

PROPERLY engineered and designed you can expect something in the plus column ranging from .5 or a bit more maybe 1.5 mpg. The intake systems on most vehicles are fairly well optimized as its free mpg and in todays world they have looked for all the free gains they can find.

That said they do have some constraints: Routing and sound. Routing speaks for itself. Could you straighten it out, move the intake point and see an increase, probably so, just straightening the pipe and putting your intake point in the grille would give results, but on the other hand you are talking about trying to find a straight shot to the grille in an already crowded engine bay.

I have looked at a lot of systems and found most of them fail even the min engineering application to produce results. Many use thin Alum tubes, some drew intake air from a point above the exhaust manifold, both of these approaches defeat the Cold in the CAI.

Note: I have noticed the intake on my '15 F 350 vs my '11 F 350 is a lot louder when you get serious with the go pedal like passing a car on the highway. I suspect Ford has made some mods to increase the air flow.

Take away: I would be very reluctant to replace my OEM system on m 6.7. My best suggestion is to insure you keep a clean air filter in the system, save your money and put it elsewhere unless you plan on running your truck at the track...

Quick Reply: Road armor bumper