Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 07:20 PM
Tomahawk
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 68murc
Well done!
Originally Posted by JEFFFAFA
They say "Necessity is the Mother of All invention". Good job Gavin. I'm sure many others will see this in the future. That's one of the beauties of our Kingdom here. (Have you ever been on the Lightning/Harley F150 board? Nothing like here)
Thanks guys!

Jeff - I never stray too far from the Bump, Dent and 6.7 Diesel forums.....it's too scary out there.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:13 PM
Tomahawk
Postmaster
I got the tank straps made.

The 16ga 304 stainless I used is a PITA to bend, I should have used 18ga.

I welded 1/8" tk. stainless tabs to the ends of the straps where they bolted to the frame.

I should have moved the front cross member 1/2" closer to the tank.

The bed is on now so I can cut and connect the lines to the tank. I still need to remove the tank straps and put the heavy walled heat shrink over them.

Old 05-13-2015, 12:18 PM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts
I too am way interested in the sending units, and will be on this, like white on rice. I made a fiberglass 26 gal tank and mounted it (with extra below support), between the rails, and used a marine 6" access port, for access into the fil cap. I have not connected it yet, as am going to use SS 3/8" tubing for a fuel line. Summer project this year. The incab tank will be gone, and a cab organizer, from Dee Zee will replace it.
Meanwhile, nice job Tom, no hatchet job here... oops, pun intended lol..

Baja

Old 05-13-2015, 10:30 PM
Tomahawk
Postmaster
Hi Baja, I used the plumbing from the GM sending unit that fits the tank and the rheostat from 73-84 Ford truck rear tank sending unit. I also lengthened the float arm to give it more travel. Check out posts 1, 13, 36 and 43 in this thread. Let me know if you have and questions, I did a hatchet job putting this thread together.
Thanks for the kind words.
Are you down south now?

Old 05-14-2015, 07:58 AM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
Thanks for the info, and the pathfinding on this project. I am with Jeff on this, as there are lots who will use your system in the future. Thanks for chopping out a trail.. chuckle..
No, I am not down South yet, but soon. I finish refueling this reactor, in Pa. on Sun. After a day off to catch my breath, I will fly to Dallas, then spend some time at our lake house, in Granbury. Plans are to fly to San Diego, load the truck, and head South in the first week of June.

Baja

Old 05-14-2015, 08:50 AM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
Yo buddy, just wanted you to know that I am saving this thread, to my Highboy file, and will refer to it for completing my tank project. You would love my fuel gauge.. it is way way low tech.. picture a 0.5 dia. dowel, with notches for 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 full... My mechanic amigo in Baja, looked at it, and said.. "Muy Mechano". ( Very Mexican). When I get home, I am going to see if I can move my fill pipe & cap to where you have yours.
I am also having the local fiberglass boat shop, make me 4 small hinged doors & trays to fit into the bed, and make lockable tool trays for the area where your fill pipe is. With the tank out of the cab, I am looking at a Dee Zee cab organizer, to store more stuff. Hey, a guy can never have enough stuff, when you are out of reach of AAA. BTW, I am green with envy over your shop, but not your snow & cold.. I found my place in Baja, by tying my snow shove to the front of my truck, and driving South. When someone finally asked "What's that"?.. I bought a house. Figured I was far enough. LMAO..

Old 05-14-2015, 09:12 PM
Tomahawk
Postmaster
Originally Posted by bajafishnut
Thanks for the info, and the pathfinding on this project. I am with Jeff on this, as there are lots who will use your system in the future. Thanks for chopping out a trail.. chuckle..
No, I am not down South yet, but soon. I finish refueling this reactor, in Pa. on Sun. After a day off to catch my breath, I will fly to Dallas, then spend some time at our lake house, in Granbury. Plans are to fly to San Diego, load the truck, and head South in the first week of June.

Baja
That does not sound like fun. I hope everything goes well. I hated working in hot labs, before they let us go we had to leave a P sample. It sucked when they would give us a 5ml liquid scintillation vial, you had to be very accurate.
Yo buddy, just wanted you to know that I am saving this thread, to my Highboy file, and will refer to it for completing my tank project. You would love my fuel gauge.. it is way way low tech.. picture a 0.5 dia. dowel, with notches for 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 full... My mechanic amigo in Baja, looked at it, and said.. "Muy Mechano". ( Very Mexican). When I get home, I am going to see if I can move my fill pipe & cap to where you have yours.
I am also having the local fiberglass boat shop, make me 4 small hinged doors & trays to fit into the bed, and make lockable tool trays for the area where your fill pipe is. With the tank out of the cab, I am looking at a Dee Zee cab organizer, to store more stuff. Hey, a guy can never have enough stuff, when you are out of reach of AAA. BTW, I am green with envy over your shop, but not your snow & cold.. I found my place in Baja, by tying my snow shove to the front of my truck, and driving South. When someone finally asked "What's that"?.. I bought a house. Figured I was far enough. LMAO..
I'm planning on having a good stock of tools and supplies behind my bench seat. Ya can't have too many tools! I bet you have lots of blowing and drifting sunshine down there. Thanks for the kind words!

Old 05-15-2015, 07:32 AM
crazed87bronco
Logistics Pro
Great fuel tank install. Came out nice and clean. I been thinking of using a bronco II or scout tank for some time now. but I to would like to have more then a 20 gallon capacity so I been researching tank dimensions. You long bed guys got it easy my 4x4 is a short bed so having a tank in between the rear rails makes it almost impossible to clear the diff since the axle is right where the tank would be. Your truck is very nice like the color and great install write up on the sending unit will save the next guy lots of time.

Old 05-15-2015, 05:24 PM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
Hey Hawk, its not too bad at some Nuke plants. The 12's are a bit of a struggle, but I've never been a sleep in kind of guy. I'd like to bring up the spare tire subject again, so do you ever think about where you'd put one? My dad had old boxy Land Rovers, with the skinny spare on the hood, and another with one on the front bumper & one on the rear door. The front one folded down, hinged at the bottom, and I used to stand on it to check the oil.

I do not have a spare, as have MT Baja 325x75x17's around, and only a 12.50x16.5 old fatty for a spare, which I do not carry. Its even a BANDAG cold cap, and must be from the 70's. Still holds air and has tread.

My winch is in the bed, behind the cab, with a sturdy gantry up and over the winch, with the fair lead at the top. Have a set of gin poles, (booms), which form an A, but have them stored along side the shop. Don't have much need for them any more. Used to have that ugly old spare on the booms... but now..??? Don't really know where to put it.. I know, I know, the usual place.. ha ha ha.., but really?? any thoughts?

Baja sorry

Old 05-15-2015, 07:00 PM
crazed87bronco
Logistics Pro
I finish refueling this reactor, in Pa. on Sun. After a day off to catch my breath, I will fly to Dallas, then spend some time at our lake house, in Granbury. Plans are to fly to San Diego, load the truck, and head South in the first week of June.

Baja
Hey baja, would you happen to be at 3 mile?

Old 05-16-2015, 08:14 AM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
Nope, I am at Susquehanna, near Berwick, Pa. I like this area, mostly country, lots of trees, simple life, good life around here. 'Bout you?

Baja

Old 05-16-2015, 10:18 AM
crazed87bronco
Logistics Pro
That's a good area to be around. My one place is only about an hour from there. Yea there's Lots of mountains and trees here. I like being in the country nobody around to complain about anything. So you can do almost anything without getting Johnny law after you haha. Back roads are the best. Only bad thing is got to travel a ways to get to any good paying jobs. But I'm fine with that any day over living close to a over populated area.

Old 05-16-2015, 10:23 AM
Tomahawk
Postmaster
Originally Posted by crazed87bronco
Great fuel tank install. Came out nice and clean. I been thinking of using a bronco II or scout tank for some time now. but I to would like to have more then a 20 gallon capacity so I been researching tank dimensions. You long bed guys got it easy my 4x4 is a short bed so having a tank in between the rear rails makes it almost impossible to clear the diff since the axle is right where the tank would be. Your truck is very nice like the color and great install write up on the sending unit will save the next guy lots of time.
Thanks for the complements. I think a 22 gallon '70 Mustang tank would work for you. That's what I'm prolly going to put in my SB F100.

Hey Hawk, its not too bad at some Nuke plants. The 12's are a bit of a struggle, but I've never been a sleep in kind of guy. I'd like to bring up the spare tire subject again, so do you ever think about where you'd put one? My dad had old boxy Land Rovers, with the skinny spare on the hood, and another with one on the front bumper & one on the rear door. The front one folded down, hinged at the bottom, and I used to stand on it to check the oil.

I do not have a spare, as have MT Baja 325x75x17's around, and only a 12.50x16.5 old fatty for a spare, which I do not carry. Its even a BANDAG cold cap, and must be from the 70's. Still holds air and has tread.

My winch is in the bed, behind the cab, with a sturdy gantry up and over the winch, with the fair lead at the top. Have a set of gin poles, (booms), which form an A, but have them stored along side the shop. Don't have much need for them any more. Used to have that ugly old spare on the booms... but now..??? Don't really know where to put it.. I know, I know, the usual place.. ha ha ha.., but really?? any thoughts?
Baja sorry
This won't help you....but

If I was going more that 100 miles from home I like this setup. I think I would add a tool box in the unused space under the tire. I really like the jerrycan holders. Otherwise I prolly just through a spare in the bed or just go without and call AAA or the wife to come rescue me.
I have an idea for you but I need to tink about it a little more.

Time to head to the shop and work on the F100.

Old 05-16-2015, 12:06 PM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
No AAA South of the border. They do have "Green Angles", for tourist rescue, out on the main highway. Once you leave the pavement, you are on your own.. With no spare, the motto is "Don't go farther, than you can walk". Lots of friendly farmers in the outback, so you can usually catch a ride, within a week.
All of the Baja Mil, (the 1000), racers, have special tubing racks, in the back, and haul a spare. Eventually, I'd like to incorporate something into my winch gantry. BTW, my winch is powered by a PTO, on the idler shaft of the Xfer case, so I have 4 speeds in, and 1 out. How cool is that ? The old Spicer #24 is cast steel, not aluminum. Way strong enough to hold a PTO.

Baja

Old 05-17-2015, 04:57 AM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
I like that and will try to incorporate that idea into my gantry.. Hope this photo shows what I am working with.. The photos are a bit old, and all I have on my computer at the moment. The gantry frame, protruding up through the bed, is part of the winch frame, and bolts down onto the top of the frame. No bending the frame that way. Now it is covered with a fiberglass top, kind of like a small capper. I'm thinking that I can use your idea with the spare tire rack and the gantry..

Quick Reply: Tomahawk's Highboy Fuel Tank Installation