6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Questions about Hellwig 7271 Big Wig Rear Sway Bar

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 10:07 PM
Shogunles
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions about Hellwig 7271 Big Wig Rear Sway Bar

Hello All. After doing a search on this sway bar, I did not find, exactly, the answer to my question. Although, it did answer the other 2 questions I did have. So, it was helpful.

I am installing this sway bar next week, as my truck did not come with one from the factory. There is a front sway bar though. I just assume it is the smaller diameter one, as it came from the factory installed.

For those of you that installed this particular size sway bar on the rear axle, did you also upgrade to the larger diameter front sway bar as well?

From what I have read on the Hellwig Site, they recommend upgrading the front bar. However, I just wanted to know if this recommendation was for my benefit or the company's! I am installing the Big Bar because we recently upgraded from a TT to a Fiver. As is always recommended being the truck does skip over rough road. Appreciate any input or opinions you may have. Thank you.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:09 AM
mmm635
Senior User
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I did not upgrade the front on mine. My truck has the snow plow package and is a little stiffer up front. That said, my truck handles great and does not wag like it used to before installation.

When I tow, passengers in my truck have told me that it feels like my truck is not pulling anything. It is very stable when towing.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:24 AM
smoky_diesel
Cargo Master
Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts
I did not change the front swaybar when installing the helwig rear. Unloaded, it doesn't ride/handle much different than no sway bar or the factory 5/8" bar. With a 2000lb camper in the bed at over 13' high it makes a huge difference. not sure about a 5th wheel.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:48 AM
stsmark
Mountain Pass
Received 60 Likes on 16 Posts
I also did the rear only and Bilstein 4600's at the same time. The Ford front bar is not as narrow as the rear so I left it to see how things were after the Helwig. My truck did not have a rear bar stock. I was able to install without dropping the Def shield but 35 years of Corporate jet repair I'm used to fasteners in crazy places.
I towed a 30 ft Cyclone Toy Hauler at 12,500 lbs and it's rock solid with passing semis, I run the Helwig in the middle hole.
Both the shocks and bar are worth every penny.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:20 PM
Shogunles
Senior User
Hey thanks for the feedback Fellas. I knew this bar planted the truck better on turns and such. However, I did not know it made a night and day difference with passing semis! I am glad I made this investment, and not upgrading the front bar. I have the snow plow prep, so I assume I have a larger bar anyway. In addition, I have the Bilstein 5100 all around and also the steering stabilizer. Great shocks.

Since I have your ears, at which setting did you install your bars? I was planning on using the middle hole like stsmark. However, I suppose this may be related to how stiff you like your ride. Appreciate the help! Thank you!

Old 02-25-2015, 01:24 PM
Shogunles
Senior User
Originally Posted by stsmark
I also did the rear only and Bilstein 4600's at the same time. The Ford front bar is not as narrow as the rear so I left it to see how things were after the Helwig. My truck did not have a rear bar stock. I was able to install without dropping the Def shield but 35 years of Corporate jet repair I'm used to fasteners in crazy places.
I towed a 30 ft Cyclone Toy Hauler at 12,500 lbs and it's rock solid with passing semis, I run the Helwig in the middle hole.
Both the shocks and bar are worth every penny.
Regarding the install, after reading the manual, it says to remove the plate holding the DEF Shield. Is this what you were referring to?

Old 02-25-2015, 02:24 PM
Leonandlisa
Tuned
I put it in the stiffest setting, the instructions say to do the first setting and work you way up, I just went to the stiffest setting and I have no complaints with the ride loaded or unloaded. It did improve the loaded turning experience, the 5th wheel caused a lot more body roll before the sway bar was installed.

I didn't change anything on the front either.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:58 PM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
Did not change the front, have camper package and front is stiff enough I believe. All my weight is in the bed since I have a slide in camper.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:00 PM
mmm635
Senior User
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I have mine set on the stiffest setting and have no complaints about the ride quality.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:58 PM
Shogunles
Senior User
Thank you everyone. I think I will start with the middle and go from there. Easy enough to change if I want. Much appreciated.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:35 AM
TADcanoe
Freshman User
So for you guys towing a 5th wheel, did you notice a difference before and after? I know that it is completely different, but from tracking 500 hp subarus, you NEVER run a rear sway bar that stiff than a front. You will get overstear like crazy. Not sure if these trucks would have a similar issue empty of not? But I like the idea of adding a rear bar. Any input on ride on and off road empty and towing would be helpful.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:35 AM
TADcanoe
Freshman User
Oh, and where did you order your bar from?

Old 02-26-2015, 08:52 AM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Shogunles
Thank you everyone. I think I will start with the middle and go from there. Easy enough to change if I want. Much appreciated.
I think that is a good idea, I have mine on the middle and will drive it a while before I make a change if I do. I can tell its a firmer ride, but not unpleasantly so. Where it gets harsh real fast is on washboard roads. Its no help there.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:08 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 83 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by TADcanoe
So for you guys towing a 5th wheel, did you notice a difference before and after? I know that it is completely different, but from tracking 500 hp subarus, you NEVER run a rear sway bar that stiff than a front. You will get overstear like crazy. Not sure if these trucks would have a similar issue empty of not? But I like the idea of adding a rear bar. Any input on ride on and off road empty and towing would be helpful.
I am wondering the same thing too. Although my reasoning for wanting one has to do with even tire wear. My outside rear tires wear more than the inside, and from all of the research I've seen, this bar would help to cure that. My pin weight on my 5er is a 3100 pounds, plus the weight of the hitch and my toolbox.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:22 AM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by golfmedik
I am wondering the same thing too. Although my reasoning for wanting one has to do with even tire wear. My outside rear tires wear more than the inside, and from all of the research I've seen, this bar would help to cure that. My pin weight on my 5er is a 3100 pounds, plus the weight of the hitch and my toolbox.
I have a almost 6000 lb camper sitting in the bed of the truck. My prime reason for going big sway is to stabilize that camper. I run Tork Stable loads, Rancho RS 9000XL shocks set on 9 (the firmest setting) and with the camper in the back it really raises my center of gravity. The big sway puts the stable in the truck. I am on the center setting, I may go to the inside setting which would be the firmest, but need some more back road driving time with it.

NOTE: Its the back roads that drive this move to the big sway, not the main highways or I-state.

Outside tire wear: I have heard this before but have not exp it. My '11 dually with OEM BFG's had 39k miles on it at trade-in and the tires looked new, so new the dealer swore I must have replaced the tires. In fact the dealer said he gets dually's in trade with mileage in the 20's and low 30's with tires almost worn out, outside tire wear etc.

Maybe I am a little over the top on tires. I jack my truck up and remove the rears to insure I get +/- .5 lb of air and balance/rotate them every other oil change.

Quick Reply: Questions about Hellwig 7271 Big Wig Rear Sway Bar