6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Help: Fuel in my coolent ford says blown head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 09:13 AM
Big E construction
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
update

Talked to ford this morning with a heavy heart. I have a hole in my head. I am told we can't replace 1 because pressure will be diffrent? So only option is a remanufactured engine for roughly 14,000 I'm told.or both heads for 8,000 with no surety something else in the engine will not fail. I love my 6.0 know what? Maybe buy a new truck. Any suggestions on the most reliable ford diesel for towing my construction trailers with a lot of mileage as I travel all over the east coast remodeling Rite Aid pharmacy's

Old 02-26-2015, 09:44 AM
mustang_309
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Big E construction
Talked to ford this morning with a heavy heart. I have a hole in my head. I am told we can't replace 1 because pressure will be diffrent? So only option is a remanufactured engine for roughly 14,000 I'm told.or both heads for 8,000 with no surety something else in the engine will not fail. I love my 6.0 know what? Maybe buy a new truck. Any suggestions on the most reliable ford diesel for towing my construction trailers with a lot of mileage as I travel all over the east coast remodeling Rite Aid pharmacy's
If in fact that is diesel in your coolant the only source would be a cracked head with almost 100% surety. The base engine ( short block ) in these are rock solid so I don't see any reason you need a rebuilt engine. You will need to replace any hose or oring in the coolant system that the diesel came in contact with and of course the cylinder heads. A good friend of mine just went through this and it ended up costing him around 7500 bucks including OEM remanufactured heads.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:44 AM
fordf150guy
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Our heads are machined flat (or what Ford likes to call flat) so can someone explain to me how replacing 1 head would cause any difference in cylinder pressure (or any other pressure for that matter)?? I agree that it would be deemed good practice to look at the other cylinder head but would it not be cost effective/worth while to send his good (as far as we know) cylinder head to a machine shop for a once over, get new guides, and trued up? Of coarse I understand that he is at a dealer so they are following a Ford recommended guide on steps to take, but I'm just talking real world senario for a sec.

Old 02-26-2015, 02:31 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Valve sealing would be my guess. But without the dome in
the chamber I also don't see how. That being said do a top
side rebuild and new rubber for the cooling system and you
should be good. Might think about studs while your in that far.

If you go with Ford heads give Ed at FICM Repair a yell for pricing.
You very likely will get a nice surprise over the Ford price.
FICMRepair.com - FORD Powerstroke 6.0 FICM Repair, PHP Tuning and Truck Parts

Sean

Old 02-26-2015, 03:39 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by fordf150guy
Our heads are machined flat (or what Ford likes to call flat) so can someone explain to me how replacing 1 head would cause any difference in cylinder pressure (or any other pressure for that matter)?? I agree that it would be deemed good practice to look at the other cylinder head but would it not be cost effective/worth while to send his good (as far as we know) cylinder head to a machine shop for a once over, get new guides, and trued up? Of coarse I understand that he is at a dealer so they are following a Ford recommended guide on steps to take, but I'm just talking real world senario for a sec.
I don't think it would be a pressure issue. If his truck has the pre-commonized heads it may explain why they want to do both. I think only the commonized variety are available and there were many changes. You probably wouldn't want to mix on the same engine. There was some info on mixing them in another ford document but I can't find it right now. It does seem to imply it's ok in this document.

I think I may be the first poster to post a picture of a post in a post

Old 02-26-2015, 04:05 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod
I don't think it would be a pressure issue. If his truck has the pre-commonized heads it may explain why they want to do both. I think only the commonized variety are available and there were many changes. You probably wouldn't want to mix on the same engine. There was some info on mixing them in another ford document but I can't find it right now. It does seem to imply it's ok in this document.

I think I may be the first poster to post a picture of a post in a post
I see your point on that and agree.
Talk about a Frankenstein's Monster. All types of odd parts.

Sean

Old 02-26-2015, 08:42 PM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
I think the the dealer is scaring you into a new truck, should have come by and let me check it

Old 02-26-2015, 09:22 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 80 Posts
I've seen burnt valves with holes in them, cracks n stuff in different places but anybody ever seen damage you would describe as a "hole"? I'm having a hard time visualizing that.

I know it's shaping up to be an expensive repair but if it were me I wouldn't walk away unless the rest of the truck is used up.

Old 02-27-2015, 05:34 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Per4mance
I think the the dealer is scaring you into a new truck, should have come by and let me check it
I think you are correct.

I don't see an issue replacing one head and see absolutely NO reason for a complete motor or short block unless some internal damage has been done that's not readily evident.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:01 AM
Super Duty Service
Former Vendor
There is no freakin way that fuel in the coolant is just cause for a long block!!! With all due respect,, if you are gonna come on here,, at least give us a chance. I would be dragging my truck as far from that dealer as humanly possible. What dealership is it???

It's your truck and you do what you want,, but don't be a 6.0 basher in the future because you listened to a service advisor over the help here. I understand that most people feel that the only trusted place to take you truck to is a dealer,, AND THERE ARE GREAT DEALERS OUT THERE,,,, BUT THIS ONE IS NOT ONE OF THEM!!!!!

Hate it when someone is posting in real time about how they are getting robbed.

I've done many of these failures and replacing one head is an option,,, sending the other off to match recession and a valve grind and seals.

After reading this I'm half tempted to load up the BPD kit and roll out there and fix this truck in the parking lot just to shut that service advisor up!!!! Has anyone else out there bought the cracked head repair tool???

Old 02-27-2015, 07:06 AM
Super Duty Service
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod
I've seen burnt valves with holes in them, cracks n stuff in different places but anybody ever seen damage you would describe as a "hole"? I'm having a hard time visualizing that.

I know it's shaping up to be an expensive repair but if it were me I wouldn't walk away unless the rest of the truck is used up.
Well,,,,, I have seen "holes". Lol. This one had a cracked injector tip. And it was just cause for one head,, and a shortblock. And we reused the other head. That truck gets the snot beat outta it everyday. It's in service as we speak. Here's a "HOLE".

A crack is MUCH DIFFERENT than a "hole". Lol

Old 02-27-2015, 08:41 PM
Big E construction
New User
got my truck back

Well I got the truck back they told me it won't last long.I took your advice and I am going to find a good diesel shop to bring it to. I will be buying a new 6.7 f250 for the new work. Can't take a chance of breaking down while business is good. When I get an accurate diagnosis of what's wrong with it and a fair price I will get the work done. It's a good truck everything else is working great plus a have put 12,000 bucks into it over the last year.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:50 PM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
Your not far from me,I'll do the job.....done right!

Old 02-27-2015, 08:56 PM
Big E construction
New User
let's talk

Originally Posted by Per4mance
Your not far from me,I'll do the job.....done right!
Send me an email to erik@bigeconstruction.com

Old 02-27-2015, 09:07 PM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
I'll do better than that,here's my number 908 202 5089 and my wifes cousin is a part owner at Ford dealership. I'll get you a good deal on a truck.

Quick Reply: Help: Fuel in my coolent ford says blown head gasket