Sponsored by:

New member Diesel conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 01:00 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,108 Likes on 2,168 Posts
Originally Posted by kohm
Also I am not for pissing match on which engine is better. My original post was for threads on a Cummins swap into a Ford.

exactly. you asked for opinions for putting a cummins in a ford.
and i tried enlightening you as to the cost issues, and value of what you will have when you are done.

i am simply trying to keep you from doing something you will probably regret doing when you are done with it.
but if you are dead set on spending way too much money for no return, than that is your prerogative.

Old 03-01-2015, 01:09 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by tjc transport
and i tried enlightening you as to the cost issues, and value of what you will have when you are done.

i am simply trying to keep you from doing something you will probably regret doing when you are done with it.
but if you are dead set on spending way too much money for no return, than that is your prerogative.
VERY WELL SAID RIGHT THERE!!!

Old 03-01-2015, 01:57 PM
1972RedNeck
Logistics Pro
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
really? cat has not made an engine for on road use in over 5 years.
Ever heard of a glider?

Old 03-01-2015, 02:00 PM
1972RedNeck
Logistics Pro
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe we should just ask all of the people who have actually done a Cummins conversion if they have "spent way too much money for no return" - because most all of us have been on both sides of the fence where as others seem to just be stuck on one side and refuse to consider anything else.

Old 03-01-2015, 02:16 PM
kohm
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
really? cat has not made an engine for on road use in over 5 years.
Really ? This is only partially true. Cat may not make on road engines for other manufacturers but they make them for their own on road truck line ( I looked it up, nice trucks ) STILL an inline 6, CT13

Old 03-01-2015, 02:57 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Really ? This is only partially true. Cat may not make on road engines for other manufacturers but they make them for their own on road truck line ( I looked it up, nice trucks ) STILL an inline 6, CT13
nope. the engine used in the cat trucks is made by volvo, and has the cat name on the valve cover..

just like the engines in mack trucks. made by volvo with mack on the valve cover.

Old 03-01-2015, 03:14 PM
kohm
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nope. the engine used in the cat trucks is made by volvo, and has the cat name on the valve cover..

Are you sure about Volvo/Cat ? I can only find International / Cat joint. I was mistaken about Caterpillars with drawl from on road engines. It is a shame, the 3406 was a good engine.

just like the engines in mack trucks. made by volvo with mack on the valve cover.
I won't argue about Mack trucks, I only know that they were over built just enough power work horses.

Old 03-01-2015, 05:26 PM
F357
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Very poorly said right there!!!!"

He asked for opinions on putting a Cummins in a Ford, and you started a pissing match about Powerstrokes. Aren't you a moderator? The "enlightening" you tried was entirely incorrect. There is no "cost issue", it would not be much different in cost. Your estimated costs are incorrect for adapters. As for the value when he's done, A pre 99 Ford truck with a Powerstroke is by far the cheapest diesel truck on the market. Nobody wants them. I can show you at least five running/driving rigs on the local craigslist for $1000. Either way when he is done his truck will have little to no value. Not everybody cares about resale value.

There are MANY MANY MANY people who have swapped a Cummins for a Powerstroke and I can't say I've ever heard anybody say they wish they didn't do it, and I don't think you can either. I CAN say I've heard dozens and dozens of people say they wish they never touched a powerstroke.

Furthermore, in doing this swap with a Cummins engine, you will find lots of help and support on the internet from other people that have done it. You will not find lots of support and help from other people that have swapped powerstrokes, because people just don't do that.

Tell me this. If Powerstrokes are better, why can't you buy adapters to mount them into just about any application? A Cummins is a bolt in to almost any vehicle where it will physically fit in the engine bay. The adapters are cheap and sitting on a shelf already. No custom fabrication. No welding. No engineering. Not even any custom wiring. (You can buy complete conversion harnesses if you want) You should also understand that it is very common in the commercial/industrial world to repower things with Cummins engines that never came with them in the first place. No commercial/industrial user would ever repower anything with a Powerstroke. How many Powerstroke generators are there out there in the world?

The only place a Powerstroke excels is making big power. (Hey, at least they got the name right!) They rev faster and higher, and make more high end power. If you want a 1000hp daily driver, you probably want a Powerstroke. Powerstrokes also sound cooler, but that's not how I choose my engine.

Old 03-02-2015, 12:40 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
it will cost at least $3000 for the parts to put the engine in the truck ,then you still have to buy an engine and trans.
for $4500 you can buy a powerstroke truck and just drive it. for $1500 you can buy a truck to use for a donor, and once done sell the parts you do not need for probably $1000

and then when you are done spending way more money that the truck will ever be worth, if yo do decide to sell it you will not get anything for it because no one wants to pay the price you are going to ask to recoup some of the money spent to build it.

Old 03-02-2015, 05:27 PM
F357
Senior User
it will cost at least $3000 for the parts to put the engine in the truck ,then you still have to buy an engine and trans.
for $4500 you can buy a powerstroke truck and just drive it. for $1500 you can buy a truck to use for a donor, and once done sell the parts you do not need for probably $1000

and then when you are done spending way more money that the truck will ever be worth, if yo do decide to sell it you will not get anything for it because no one wants to pay the price you are going to ask to recoup some of the money spent to build it.
Where did he say he can't afford the Cummins swap? Where did he say he's worried about saving the resale value of a 20 year old truck with a blown engine? You are being ridiculous. Not everybody is on welfare. Some people blow money on worthless things just to make themselves happy, and there is nothing wrong with that if you have the cash. The cost to install both would be about the same. You are only guessing on the cost, I would bet that you've never actually done it, or even created a serious spread sheet with all the costs laid out. (I have, so have many others) No, the adapters do not cost $3000. Motor mounts are around $300, trans adapter is around $1000. You don't need much more than that. He doesn't want a truck with a Powerstroke, and I think he's trying to be nice in not telling you to just get lost.

Why don't you go find all the threads where somebody is buying a new $60,000 truck and warn them it will only be worth $20,000 in a few years? Seems a lot stupider than "wasting" a couple grand on a better engine. Go back and read the first post. Nowhere does it say anything about cost.

Old 03-02-2015, 05:57 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
i never said he could not afford to do it. i simply said it will cost a LOT LESS to put in an engine that came in the truck.

he asked for opinions on doing the powerstroke and IDI swap also.
i gave my opinion on doing the ford parts swap.
have i ever done a cummins swap? no. i have no love for what i feel is an inferior engine.
have i priced one? no, i have read enough threads here over the past 10 years to have a pretty good idea what it costs though.

as i said, my stock except for turbo 1988 7.3 IDI runs circles around cummins powered trucks. and gets better fuel mileage too. my stock 02 7.3 powerstroke is like a corvette compared to a cummins powered dodge..
i just don't see what the fascination with those engines is. i have had the misfortune to have to drive enough of them that i know i will never ever own one.

and as far as the people disappointed in doing the swap. i have seen many many swaps that were started and never finished, then sold for pennies on the dollar, and a bunch of others that were sold the same way after finished because they were not what all the hype said they were.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:19 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey here's a crazy idea, let's answer the actual question.
Can anyone direct me to threads about a Cummins swap ? I have a 1994 F250 HD XLT Super Cab 4x4 with 7.5l and E4OD. I quit driving it due to Trans needed rebuild. Unfortunately last winter also found out the hard way the engine had a coolant leak (external ) and block froze/cracked. This was 2nd engine in the truck, first had bad wrist pin. I have plans to recycle the TTB Dana 50 for the Dana 60 mono beam. Any suggestions would be thankful.
I direct you to the search function, top center blue bar, drop down menu, advanced search. In keywords I put "Cummins" then select "search titles only" Bottom right menu "search in forum" select 87-96.
That search gave me this Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - Search Results

Read up, take notes, etc. you've asked some rather basic questions here. You'll need a much better understanding to accomplish a conversion.

For other searches here's a link to advanced search Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - Search Forums

As for suggestions I'm not really going to make many, as I don't know what you want to accomplish. Me I'm a fan of the IDI, certainly for me and IMO for a general use pickup it's a better engine. But I certainly see where a 12V 5.9 has it's place and it's a close second.

As for the D60, easy swap, A LOT of threads on it here, do a search. Hardest part is getting your hands on the donor parts.

On that subject I have one suggestion. You might be better off finding a F350 with a D60 and IDI and swapping all that in. Why, it's easy and cost effective. Odds are to get a D60 and all the parts you need you'll probably be better off buying a donor truck anyway. If you get a donor with an IDI then you have all you need to swap it in. Keep in mind a diesel swap isn't just an engine. Make the IDI a stepping stone, if after having the IDI for a while and you still want a Cummins then it's now an easier swap.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:37 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
A little more...

Just noticed you're in Snohomish, I think all of Snohomish is exempt from smog testing but you need to make sure. There is IIRC no legal way to pass smog with a gas vin and diesel engine.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:50 PM
F357
Senior User
i never said he could not afford to do it. i simply said it will cost a LOT LESS to put in an engine that came in the truck. .
You GUESSED that it will cost less and nothing more. You've made your point, now move along. Why are you a moderator?

FACTUALLY, it would not cost much different to swap a Powerstroke or a Cummins. Take your choice. One engine is simpler and has cheaper parts. It's not the Powerstroke.

Even Ford put the Cummins in their medium duty trucks over the 7.3 or any other Powerstroke. They are simply admitting something here. It also makes the Cummins just as much of a Ford engine as the Powerstroke.

As for running circles around one truck or the other, that is an incredibly stupid statement to make. In stock form Cummins 5.9 and Ford 7.3 are relatively low horsepower and torque. They can both be easily modified to make a lot more. It's not going to be a stock truck either way.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:08 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
so being the fact i am a moderator i am supposed to sit in the back of the bus and keep quiet?
yes, i am a moderator. so what? first and foremost my position here at FTE is to help people see all the different ways to keep their trucks running in the most economical way possible, and to help them do just that as best as i can.
the original poster never once said i don't want to hear about doing a powerstroke or IDI engine swap, this was all done by 2 people in this thread.
the others that chimed in about doing a diesel swap in his gas powered truck actually agreed with me.

whatever, i am done.

Quick Reply: New member Diesel conversion