Sponsored by: DP Tuner

best (cheapest) way to go from Non-limited Slip

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 08:24 PM
carl2591
Fleet Mechanic
Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts
best (cheapest) way to go from Non-limited Slip

best (cheapest) way to go from Non-limited Slip to LS rearend..

got to checking my door label and under AX i see 31.. which tells me i have a 3.73 non-limited slip rearend.

So what is best way to change over to LS.. i have read about getting one at local salvage yard but not sure how that might work not knowing the history of the unit, ie miles, frequency of fluid changes, etc..

I see the summit racing locker is like 600 bucks so that might be out.

need help in trying to figure this out..

EDIT: happen to find this at 4wheelparts.com looks interesting and there is one in my town.. http://tinyurl.com/kcqsv8p any input on this model..??

Old 02-23-2015, 08:59 PM
crop harvester
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
theres clutches that can be worn on salvage LS axles,so to get serious about it a Trutrac locking diff.or similar unit would insure traction to both rear wheels,just My opinion .

Old 02-23-2015, 09:15 PM
whitetmw
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Eaton Truetrac

Old 02-24-2015, 05:06 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I've had the factory limited slip on my truck since I ordered it. I think limited is the best description. I've gotten stuck in tall grass that was damp before when I had a trailer on.

Get a locker.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:14 AM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
I just bought and installed a Limited slip rear axle off ebay. Thought it was a good deal as it was 60k miles and in "perfect" order.

Seems I have a very iffy program going on. Everything looks good but it locks when it wants to.

I would go with a Tru Trac and be done with it.

Denny

Old 02-24-2015, 05:52 AM
whitetmw
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by F350-6
I've had the factory limited slip on my truck since I ordered it. I think limited is the best description. I've gotten stuck in tall grass that was damp before when I had a trailer on.

Get a locker.
The thing about an OEM LSD is it will only engage the clutch pack at about 15 - 20 MPH and 1,500 RPM.

While I do not have a LSD, the best reviews from people I have talked with is the "TRUETRACK". The LOCKER is a different design all together.

However, Many prefer the a "Locker" in the front housing and for off-roading.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:51 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by whitetmw
The thing about an OEM LSD is it will only engage the clutch pack at about 15 - 20 MPH and 1,500 RPM.

While I do not have a LSD, the best reviews from people I have talked with is the "TRUETRACK". The LOCKER is a different design all together.

However, Many prefer the a "Locker" in the front housing and for off-roading.
With a two wheel drive that gets stuck if you sneeze in front of the back tires when off road, spinning it up to 1500 rpm's and 15 mph on the speedo doesn't help any. By then the tires are moving too fast. The trutrack also isn't as much help. Being able to lock the back wheels to get you started is what would be of most use to me seeing as I don't have a front diff.

Maybe the trutrack is more helpful on snow and ice or something, but I imagine most who need that on a regular basis have a 4x4.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:01 AM
bleeds blue
More Turbo
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I debated about rebuilding my LSD, but then decided by the time I have to rebuild it again,
I would have paid for a Tru-Trac. I LOVE my Tru-Trac. My truck hasnt been in 4 wheel drive since I had it installed. That includes climbing muddy mountains in Colorado. I think I was in the area of $700 with install.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:47 AM
cps
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bleeds blue
I debated about rebuilding my LSD, but then decided by the time I have to rebuild it again,
I would have paid for a Tru-Trac. I LOVE my Tru-Trac. My truck hasnt been in 4 wheel drive since I had it installed. That includes climbing muddy mountains in Colorado. I think I was in the area of $700 with install.
I have had 3 lockers ( Detroit) in different vehicles over the years. My experience has shown me that in the snow and ice they are a hand full in 2wd if that is what you have. If you have a four wheel drive and it is IN four wheel drive they are awesome. Just point where you wanted to go. It was an adventure when you hit a icy situation in 2wd as the whole rear end would just break loose, but you need to be prepared for those situations.
My LS in my truck is mostly slip but on the fence as to install a locker as i go hunting alot in the cold and she goes pretty good in 4wd as it is. In 2wd drive it is bunk. the combination of huge torque and no wt on the rear makes spinouts a regular occurance. Gotten real good at feathering the go pedal in those times.
If you have never driven one go in a truck that has one and see what you think.

Old 02-24-2015, 03:37 PM
holeshotwalt
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TrueTrac and forget it!

Old 02-24-2015, 07:08 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,974 Likes on 1,108 Posts
The factory limited slip (or any clutch type of differential resistance mechanism) gives zero ****s about vehicle speed or RPM. The Gov-loc "G80" rear differential is able to sense (thanks to centrifugal force) a wheel speed differential and physically lock the two axle shafts together but this isn't a GM truck forum.

If friction were infinite, the clutches would never allow slippage to occur between the differential carrier and side gears. Two things determine the effectiveness of the limited slip differential: clutch preload and torque differential between each axle shaft (all provided that there is actually friction material left on the plates). The reason that the limited slip action deteriorates over time can be found mixed with the metal powder on the fill plug magnet. The really neat thing about the effects of torque on differential side and spider gears is that the higher the torque load, the more outward pressure the spider gears exert on the side gears - actually INCREASING the clutch pressure holding the side gears to the differential case.

If the statement about speed and RPM were true in the case of our Sterling 10.5" rear ends, I guess I have a unicorn that doesn't adhere to those standards.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:34 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Another interesting thread with great information. My father used to have GM pickups with 'locking' differentials. It seemed like they locked together after about 1 revolution of one wheel spinning and the other not. The only thing I didn't like about those was that the one wheel had to dig you in a little deeper before the other one kicked in.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:03 PM
whitetmw
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by cleatus12r
The factory limited slip (or any clutch type of differential resistance mechanism) gives zero ****s about vehicle speed or RPM. The Gov-loc "G80" rear differential is able to sense (thanks to centrifugal force) a wheel speed differential and physically lock the two axle shafts together but this isn't a GM truck forum.

If friction were infinite, the clutches would never allow slippage to occur between the differential carrier and side gears. Two things determine the effectiveness of the limited slip differential: clutch preload and torque differential between each axle shaft (all provided that there is actually friction material left on the plates). The reason that the limited slip action deteriorates over time can be found mixed with the metal powder on the fill plug magnet. The really neat thing about the effects of torque on differential side and spider gears is that the higher the torque load, the more outward pressure the spider gears exert on the side gears - actually INCREASING the clutch pressure holding the side gears to the differential case.

If the statement about speed and RPM were true in the case of our Sterling 10.5" rear ends, I guess I have a unicorn that doesn't adhere to those standards.

Go feed your Unicorn. You have to have centrifugal force on one wheel to engage the clutches to make friction. If it were a GM Thread, you'd be worthless there as well.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:37 PM
carl2591
Fleet Mechanic
Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts
so now i am confused.. What is the main difference between a locker and limited slip.. I was trying to get to what is OEM install in the diff from factory known as Limited slip.

I understand the locker is better and a bear on ice,, which i plan NOT to be on, but how about just around town with turns and such.. I was wanting something that will be mostly normal driving around town and have better footing when it get a bit slippy out.

edit
i found this at 4 wheelparts and see it a limited slip.. which way to go..?? http://tinyurl.com/nmbw83j

Originally Posted by cps
I have had 3 lockers ( Detroit) in different vehicles over the years. My experience has shown me that in the snow and ice they are a hand full in 2wd if that is what you have. If you have a four wheel drive and it is IN four wheel drive they are awesome. Just point where you wanted to go. It was an adventure when you hit a icy situation in 2wd as the whole rear end would just break loose, but you need to be prepared for those situations.
My LS in my truck is mostly slip but on the fence as to install a locker as i go hunting alot in the cold and she goes pretty good in 4wd as it is. In 2wd drive it is bunk. the combination of huge torque and no wt on the rear makes spinouts a regular occurance. Gotten real good at feathering the go pedal in those times.
If you have never driven one go in a truck that has one and see what you think.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:58 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by carl2591
so now i am confused.. What is the main difference between a locker and limited slip.. I was trying to get to what is OEM install in the diff from factory known as Limited slip.

I understand the locker is better and a bear on ice,, which i plan NOT to be on, but how about just around town with turns and such.. I was wanting something that will be mostly normal driving around town and have better footing when it get a bit slippy out.

Typically a locker is selectable, so it's an open diff unless you say otherwise. A detroit locker is a bit different. Trutrac is a limited slip set up. Ford's OEM limited slip is mostly just limited in what it can do in my opinion, even when you change out the fluid and don't overdo it on the additive.

Here's a link that may offer some additional info for you.
Differentials and Traction Control

Quick Reply: best (cheapest) way to go from Non-limited Slip