1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Advice needed for a rookie 1950 Ford F2

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 11:18 AM
DocRoche
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice needed for a rookie 1950 Ford F2

Hi group, I apologize 1st if this thread is not where it is supposed to be. I am very impressed with the site but have not yet discovered everything. here in the next week or two my 1950 F2 will be delivered to my garage and I can finally start my dream project. I did find the thread about figuring out what your expectations before you start and decided that I would like to drive me truck before I fully restore with a few upgrade modifications. Being a rookie whose never done this, I have a few questions. Again, I apologize if this has been covered or in the wrong spot.

1. The v8 did not come with a mounted fan. The owner is including a complete set with the 5/8 pulley but it will not be installed. Is there a place for mounting hardware to mount the fan?

2. The seat is also not mounted. I found hardware but does the seat mount to the metal cab floor or is there a mat that separates it?

3. I found this kit The Ultimate 6 - 12 Volt Conversion Kit for 1949-1953 Ford and Mercury | Vintage Auto Garage to convert 6v to 12. I understand i will need to replace some bulbs but is it missing anything visible that I will need to purchase individually?

Again, Im sorry this is so long and possibly not in the right spot. I did purchase the manual on ebay and when it arrives plan on studying it religiously. Just had some starter questions. Im located in NW PA not far from Erie if anyone ever needs help. Hope to start a build thread with pics soon. Thanks for your time.....Doc

Old 02-23-2015, 11:37 AM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome and when you get the truck post pics. You've. One to the right place for help and the guys that know how to help will get to you. Take some time and try to use the search option. The advanced search gets good results just takes a little time to learn how to use it best. Again welcome and have fun

Old 02-23-2015, 11:44 AM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Welcome to FTE, Doc! Always good to have another F2 getting back on the road. Your questions:
So, are you asking about sources for the hardware? I'm a bit confused.
The seat mounts directly to the cab floor. The original style floor mat covers the space between the front seat mount and the firewall.
If you are a complete novice - as was I - starting off with an expensive and somewhat intrusive update wouldn't be my first priority. If the generator is bad or missing, the 12v conversion is popular. The disty change out isn't a required part of the upgrade. That kit looks like more than you may need. It would help if you can provide some sense of the condition and recent history of the engine. Complete? Running?

If you haven't already bought one, a 48-52 Truck Shop Manual is a must. Additionally, many also suggest the CD of the Parts Catalog that has better, and exploded views, of parts and assemblies. This would provide the specs for fan mounting hardware, as an example. Amazon and eBay are your sources.

And you already know about pics...

Old 02-23-2015, 11:51 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Welcome to FTE, the best Ford Truck website in the world wide web!

I have a 54 so I don't know much about 48-52 trucks. But there are lots of guys here with heads full of knowledge. We do have a regular here that goes by the name of Dick who hails from Erie. I am in PA too but about a 3.5 hr drive located in Clinton County on I-80 east.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:18 PM
Skalywag
Elder User
Your fan and generator will mount on the front of the intake manifold, hardware is actually part of the generator and fan assy. Just need the long bolt and flat washer to tie it all together. Hope this helps and good luck with your project.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:43 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Welcome. I see you stated above that the fan provided will not be installed. Are you planning on doing something else, like an electric fan?

I wouldn't totally just rip out the six volt system until I got the engine running. If you dive into a re-wire before you get it running, it may be very hard to troubleshoot. Just my opinion.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:37 PM
DocRoche
Senior User
Thanks for the warm welcome. I will not have the truck for another two weeks but this link shows the pic of my truck.

1950 Ford Pickup - #1771

The complete fan assembly is coming with the truck, I just have to mount it to the engine (thats what I meant by hardware). It is missing the generator which makes me want to swap to the 12v alternator sooner than later. It doesn't come with a bed, but I can wait for that. Right now I just want to get the truck running. I'm sure its missing other things on the engine and if you see something let me know. The manual came today so I have something to study. Better pics will come the day it gets in my driveway. If something sticks out let me know.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:05 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,398 Posts
Before I got crazy spending a bunch of money on 12v conversion parts, generators and fans, or anything else drive train related, I'd see if the engine was any good. It looks like it's not been functional for some time. It could be junk and you may find yourself promptly going to plan B, whatever that may be. Patience is a virtue when starting a project like this. Thoughts and ideas tend to change rapidly at the beginning. Get the truck home and let it talk to you before getting too deep into the planning stage.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:16 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Ok, thanks for the pics. Here would be my to-do list:

Brakes
Carb rebuild
Gas tank/ fuel line / fuel pump rebuild or replace
Rewire
Cooling system flush / hose replace
Tires
Anything cosmetic

You have a solid looking truck. I'm sure it'll live up to your dreams.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:50 PM
DocRoche
Senior User
Thanks for all the advice. Its helping me paint a better picture. I see whats being said about not spending money until you know it turns. But wont I need some form of a generator/alternator for that? The truck wont come with either. Disk brake upgrade was another choice for things to start on. I may do that first. Sorry to run this thread so long. But I love hearing the ideas.

Old 02-23-2015, 03:20 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Disk brakes are nice but nothing wrong with brakes that are on it if they work. You can always turn the engine for a short time with out a generator and fan. Probable want to hand turn it first anyhow.

Old 02-23-2015, 04:03 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
What Dave said.

Old 02-23-2015, 04:15 PM
kego51
New User
Nice find! Some good advice here already.. just throwing my 2 cents in, I'd say given that the carb still has the air cleaner on and the spark plugs are in the heads that not much water should've gotten into the motor. Pull the intake manifold, get any mice nests out of there and then spray valve assemblies with a 50/50 mixture of acetone & transmission fluid. As that's a truck motor, it'll have a nice big clean out on the bottom of the oil pan. If the oil looks milky or light brownish, then there's water in it. After that, I'd put a socket on the crank pulley bolt and gently but firmly
try and get the motor to turn. If it doesn't, spray the acetone/trans fluid down the cylinders and soak for a day or 2. You're lucky as most engines this old are missing carbs or plugs and water has rusted the pistons to the cyl walls. Good Luck!!!

Old 02-23-2015, 04:21 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by DocRoche
Hi group, I apologize 1st if this thread is not where it is supposed to be. I am very impressed with the site but have not yet discovered everything. here in the next week or two my 1950 F2 will be delivered to my garage and I can finally start my dream project. I did find the thread about figuring out what your expectations before you start and decided that I would like to drive me truck before I fully restore with a few upgrade modifications. Being a rookie whose never done this, I have a few questions. Again, I apologize if this has been covered or in the wrong spot.

1. The v8 did not come with a mounted fan. The owner is including a complete set with the 5/8 pulley but it will not be installed. Is there a place for mounting hardware to mount the fan?

2. The seat is also not mounted. I found hardware but does the seat mount to the metal cab floor or is there a mat that separates it?

3. I found this kit The Ultimate 6 - 12 Volt Conversion Kit for 1949-1953 Ford and Mercury | Vintage Auto Garage to convert 6v to 12. I understand i will need to replace some bulbs but is it missing anything visible that I will need to purchase individually?

Again, Im sorry this is so long and possibly not in the right spot. I did purchase the manual on ebay and when it arrives plan on studying it religiously. Just had some starter questions. Im located in NW PA not far from Erie if anyone ever needs help. Hope to start a build thread with pics soon. Thanks for your time.....Doc
Welcome to FTE! You are definitely in the right forum, and have nothing to apologize for. But, we do want to see pics of your truck when you get it.

1. If you're asking about the mounting hardware for the fan, it's listed in the Parts Catalog, which you will definitely want to acquire before you start working on your truck. It's available on disk from HiPoParts 1948-56 Ford Truck Master Parts Catalog CD - HiPo Parts Garage

2. The seat mounts directly to the floor. There is an available stock rubber mat that covers the floor from the front of the seat to the firewall. One source is Classic Haulers, a great company to do business with. 1948-52 Ford F-100 FloMat,stock Rubber 4852

3. Unless you're going to be running additional (not stock) accessories, there is absolutely nothing wrong with leaving the truck 6 volt positive ground.

Old 02-23-2015, 04:57 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Doc - Welcome to FTE - Let me know where you are located
I'm the Dick that Abe mentioned - I'm in Erie - I have a 48 F1 Panel tore down - I also have a 50 F2 that's in the shop getting some work done - I may have some extra parts, I built a new garage last summer - I have most in the garage and was in the process of sorting stuff out when the weather shut me down - My old bones don't work well below 50 degrees or so

Quick Reply: Advice needed for a rookie 1950 Ford F2