1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

88 E 150 351 issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 08:12 PM
cainn82
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
88 E 150 351 issue

So i have been reading the forums for about two weeks now and cant find anything on the issue i'm having.
The van will start and idle but when you give it gas it just wants to die but let off the gas again and it goes right back to idle. I have put a new distributor in it with a new tfi and stator, new cap and rotor, new wires and plugs new coil and ignition switch. I also changed the pcm new fuel filter checked the fuel pump and all relays I did pull codes and the tell me its the map sensor along with code 67, 91,92,93,94,95,96 I just don't know what is the issue and now im stuck.
Anyone have any ideas?

Old 02-22-2015, 11:20 PM
jimandnena
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cainn82
So i have been reading the forums for about two weeks now and cant find anything on the issue i'm having.
The van will start and idle but when you give it gas it just wants to die but let off the gas again and it goes right back to idle. I have put a new distributor in it with a new tfi and stator, new cap and rotor, new wires and plugs new coil and ignition switch. I also changed the pcm new fuel filter checked the fuel pump and all relays I did pull codes and the tell me its the map sensor along with code 67, 91,92,93,94,95,96 I just don't know what is the issue and now im stuck.
Anyone have any ideas?
Check the fuel pressure at the fuel pressure regulator.
Are the codes engine running, engine off, or memory codes?
jim

Old 02-23-2015, 05:32 AM
Wildman25
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
First - Welcome to the Forums

Here's a link to a good comprehensive code explanation, that someone else was kind enough to post for us.

When you pulled the codes, was this on the OEM PCM? or the replacement?
If you pulled code on a new replacement PCM, the codes don't mean anything because the PCM is running in "open loop" until it re-learns after about 50-100 mile on the run.

Sounds like you tossed a lot of new parts at this? Maybe too many?

When you say it idles fine, is this in Park only?
Hows the idle in gear, under load? fine, or it wants to stall?

When it wants to stall, does it "sound" like it's choking, for air, or getting to much fuel or lack of fuel?

I ask because you write that when you give it gas, it wants to stall.

You said you checked out the fuel system? Did you do a pressure test?
Pressure should be 35-45 psi on the gauge, off the fuel rail schrader valve.
Have you checked the fuel pressure regulator? pulled the vacuum line off, to see if any gas comes out of the <acronym title="Page Ranking">PR</acronym>.

If your getting a code for the MAP, change it, I chased a 'no-start' problem, lack of fuel problem, until I changed the MAP, it fired right up.

What condition are the vacuum lines? this is a 27 year old vehicle, and the rubber line Do break down and dry-rot/crack. Bad vacuum lines would normally cause a high idle, But, they would also cause additional air to be sucked into the intake, throwing off the air/fuel mixture.

Old 02-23-2015, 09:15 AM
cainn82
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
88 e 150

Ok i checked fuel pressure at the rail and is cam up at 40 psi or close to and under load stayed at around 45psi i sprayed all the vacume lines and evrything there seemed ok I did not know it took 50 to 100 miles to learn for codes so i have to check that out. and it will idle in all gears including park its when i push the gas pedal down the all the issues start. I did change the mp sensor. the other day i replaced the coil pack on it and forgot to put the plug wire back on and noticed the coil pack was not arcing like it should so i looked for a few thinking i did not hook it back up right and found it was indeed it was put back right i then decided to try agian and i got spark this time hooked it back up and van started right up but would sound like it was not getting enough spark.

Thanks for your help and replies.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:39 PM
Wildman25
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
OK, the next step is to check your sensor's that you did not replace.

Here's a Link for the sensors, make sure you have the correct engine, the 5.8.

From what your writing, it kind of sounds like you could have a problem with the TPS. Here's a direct link to that. Do the test on that, if it's not reading correct, the ECM will not advance the fuel injectors pulses, and your stalling could be a lean mixture.

Also, when you say "coil pack" do you mean just the "Coil" as you stated that your working on a '88, that would just have one main coil, not coil packs as on the '97+ engines, and not on a 351W.

Spraying the vacuum lines is a short cut to finding a vacuum leak, and it does work, But physically inspecting each line for cracks and dry rot is a sure fire way to see what condition the old rubber lines and fitting are in.

And, yes, if you replace the ECM or disconnect the negative battery cable for 20 or more minutes, the ECM will default to 'open loop' until it re-learns the function of each sensor input, so codes will mean nothing until you have some mileage on the vehicle, and not just some run time.