Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cherry bomb vs thrush vs homemade

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 06:46 PM
broncoderek
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you're going to call me a dick or a mean person, then take five minutes to read my posts over the years. You're unlikely to find much other than positivity but I'm sure you won't care to take the time.

Sorry guys, I wrote what I wrote earlier because this was perhaps the funniest (in a bad way) thing I've read on-line. Ever.

I like experimenting. I've done plenty of it and some things didn't work out the way I planned.

But there was at least a little logic, a little forethought, a little purpose to all of it.

Crushed glass rattling around inside a steel chamber as a "muffler" makes zero sense even for a 15 year old.

If there's anyone who thinks this idea has some merit, perhaps you need to hand in your tools and drivers liscense and call a taxi.

Old 02-22-2015, 06:55 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by broncoderek

I like experimenting. I've done plenty of it and some things didn't work out the way I planned.
That's the way we learn. This is one of those learning experiences. Sometimes it's fun to just do something off the wall and crazy even if you already know the outcome. As long as nobody gets in trouble or hurt, I say let him go for it. Who knows, it may whistle Stars and Stripes Forever when he fires it up!

Old 02-22-2015, 07:01 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry guys, I wrote what I wrote earlier because this was perhaps the funniest (in a bad way) thing I've read on-line. Ever.
Come on there's funnier, I'd put this top 5 though. Let's see there's the VW or was it Audi owner who tried to port his engine by revving it up and putting sand in the intake. That one has been spread all over the net and copied, I stumbled on the original once I think and IMO it did happen. Here on FTE there was a guy that thought something was wrong with his 4WD cause when he put it in 4WD and turned sharp it hopped and bucked. He had replaced almost the entire 4WD system at huge expense before starting a thread to ask. On Pirate a guy with a Bronco fell hard for the hole HHO thing and spent big bucks building a 460 Bronco to run on water. Those 3 easily beat this one.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:09 PM
ponykilr
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
That's why I bowed out of this one. I love experimenting too, have tried some crazy stuff but always based on sound theory and some science. This just makes no sense except as a joke or something. The purpose of a muffler is to change the tone and/or reduce the sound of exhaust. These boxes full of glass won't do either and will sound about like a straight exhaust pipe.

While I appreciate the effort the OP put into this project, the idea makes no sense to me at all. If it was a troll/joke, he certainly got some attention.

15 is a good age to learn lessons, the best lessons come by doing but the smart lessons come from listening.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:09 PM
steve33444
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But there was at least a little logic, a little forethought, a little purpose to all of it.

Crushed glass rattling around inside a steel chamber as a "muffler" makes zero sense even for a 15 year old.
There is logic and reason to why I did this. There's lots of purpose to. I wanted to hear what it would sound like. Good or bad. I don't expect it to muffle sound at all. I actually wanted to see if it would amplify it since glass does not absorb sound. Also you can't hear the glass rattle around because of how loud it is. honestly I imagine u had a pretty boring youth if everything you ever do in your life has to make sense. Nobody makes it out of life alive so why not have fun with it?

Old 02-22-2015, 07:13 PM
steve33444
Elder User
Originally Posted by ponykilr
That's why I bowed out of this one. I love experimenting too, have tried some crazy stuff but always based on sound theory and some science. This just makes no sense except as a joke or something. The purpose of a muffler is to change the tone and/or reduce the sound of exhaust. These boxes full of glass won't do either and will sound about like a straight exhaust pipe.

While I appreciate the effort the OP put into this project, the idea makes no sense to me at all. If it was a troll/joke, he certainly got some attention.

15 is a good age to learn lessons, the best lessons come by doing but the smart lessons come from listening.
Part of making these was a joke and the other was curiosity to hear what it would sound like and to see if I could do it... but the joke part was because my friends dad is a cop and always teases me and says how illegal my truck is even though it will pass inspection so I wanted to make the loudest dumbest muffler I could imagine and these were it... don't have a dime invested in them either so it's not big deal. Actually they'll go to scrap after this and I'll make money off them

Old 02-22-2015, 07:21 PM
ponykilr
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
In the end, it is your time and your truck to do with what you please.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:40 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by steve33444
What exhaust do you have now?

And thank you I'm always careful see a certain extent haha
good old plain jane stockker!!!

it kinda sounds kackely, so im thinking of redoing it anyways, so now that the leak is there (and can be smelled) I figured its worth doing it as I don't want to get asphyxiated from the CO2, and since its going to be coming off I might as well do it how i want!! im looking for that really deep rumble that most don't think twice about until it pulls the house down and pops a Chevrolet out of the mud with no sweat...though for the mustang im looking at the sound of the red 5.0 foxbody that was posted sounds just right for some reason...

Old 02-22-2015, 07:43 PM
steve33444
Elder User
Originally Posted by Jaime74656
good old plain jane stockker!!!

it kinda sounds kackely, so im thinking of redoing it anyways, so now that the leak is there (and can be smelled) I figured its worth doing it as I don't want to get asphyxiated from the CO2, and since its going to be coming off I might as well do it how i want!!
It actually makes noise stock???? When the exhaust was completely stock on my truck it was the quietest thing.. could barely hear it 10 feet away

Old 02-22-2015, 07:46 PM
fordboy97
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by steve33444

It actually makes noise stock???? When the exhaust was completely stock on my truck it was the quietest thing.. could barely hear it 10 feet away
Mine sounded like an air conditioner when it was stock lol

Old 02-22-2015, 07:48 PM
steve33444
Elder User
Originally Posted by fordboy97
Mine sounded like an air conditioner when it was stock lol
I try to forget about those days

Old 02-22-2015, 07:50 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
well it makes some noise a moderately low rumble with a kakel type sound mixed in... (revised my above post by the way)

Old 02-22-2015, 07:58 PM
steve33444
Elder User
Originally Posted by Jaime74656
well it makes some noise a moderately low rumble with a kakel type sound mixed in... (revised my above post by the way)
You thought that red mustang sounded pretty close to perfect to?

Old 02-22-2015, 10:28 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
well for a Mustang the Mustang sounded perfect, but keep in mind were talking about a video, so the camera most likely had some sort of auto leveling for the mic to keep it from getting too loud, would have to hear it in person but based on the video at this point it did seem perfect for a Mustang, for a truck, would prefer something with lots off low rumble growling that when at idle is low and deep but WOT it sounds like a beast ready to tear the little civics apart....but that is me

Old 02-22-2015, 10:30 PM
1985 Bronco
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How does it sound? I wouldn't put my face anywhere near that exhaust pipe while its running.

Quick Reply: cherry bomb vs thrush vs homemade