1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer won't give me my 08 F350 I purchased

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 10:22 PM
fordman19762003
Cargo Master
Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by TADcanoe
You have a good point, and that is why I brought all of this up in the first place. It does not say to fix whatever valve issue that they are telling me now. However, it gets more complicated because I did buy a 100,000 mile warranty with the truck. And after I got home, with the truck for the one day I had it, I noticed that it has a DPF and EGR delete. So it must also be tuned.

That is where stuff gets tricky. Because if I say that I want to keep the truck and deal with whatever issue myself, or let it break and have the warranty pay for it, they might deny it because it has a tune and EGR/DPF delete.
this might have something to do with it. I didn't think a dealer could legally sell a truck that has the emissions components deleted. I know a lot of dealers won't even work on a truck with that stuff deleted because they can get into big trouble if caught.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:50 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Really sounds like the dealer put itself in a really bad spot. They have several requirements before they can legally sell the truck, most important here it has to be emissions compliant. This means they can not legally sell the truck with the EGR and DPF delete, why they aren't just telling you this IDK. This valve issue thing is clearly BS. On top of that the warranty they sold you very likely requires an inspection, I suspect that isn't much of an issue though. They know they screwed up, that they have to undo the modifications, that this will be expensive, that they'll loose money doing it, and that they are much better off undoing the deal.

My suggestion is to research your local authorities, most likely the county attorney, write a letter/email to the authority but don't send it yet. Then take a copy to the dealer, dealers are fearful of legal authorities, trust me when selling Fords I had a few deals undone just due to that threat. Tell them if they do not honor the deal this letter will be sent and it will only get worse from there.

Make it clear you want the truck as is, have no intention of making a thing out of the EGR and DPF so not to worry about it, and are willing to undo the warranty, it's likely not a good deal anyway, you can get one later on your own if you like. Speak to the highest level person you can but I suggest not the owner or general manager, they have to worry about the dealership as a hole not one deal. But most dealers will have a used car manager that oversees the used sales department, he wants every deal and is generally rather crooked, speak to him.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:52 AM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
Originally Posted by fordman19762003
this might have something to do with it. I didn't think a dealer could legally sell a truck that has the emissions components deleted. I know a lot of dealers won't even work on a truck with that stuff deleted because they can get into big trouble if caught.
This is why you are having issues. If the truck has underdone an EGR and DPF delete, the dealership cannot sell it. That is a violation of federal law.

Old 02-20-2015, 06:48 AM
cabindoc
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm going to suggest a different route. If you bought a car Friday and came back Sunday and said I don't want this car, I want that car, they would say "I'll buy that car from you for $1,000 less then what you paid for it" and take it on trade. This happened to me at a ford dealer. So, If it were me, I would tell the dealer if they want the truck back, to give you all the money back, plus $2000. Then walk away from that dealer and go to another one as this dealer will try to work that $2k out of you on the next deal.

Secondly, I would NOT take the truck as is. If it is a valve issue and you have to pay, you could be looking at a motor @ $10k

Are you feeling lucky??????

Old 02-20-2015, 07:44 AM
High Cetane
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Before I'd be calling my Attorney, I'd be calling "Channel 6 on your side". I doubt the dealership would want your side of the story on the evening news.
If they want out of a negotiated deal, its should cost them something. You didnt create the problem.....

Old 02-20-2015, 08:05 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Problem there, where do you suppose the channel 6 news gets a huge chunk of their advertising revenue?

Old 02-20-2015, 08:06 AM
Glenn Craven
New User
Accidental double-post. Edited version was better.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:09 AM
Glenn Craven
New User
As a former newspaper editor, I agree with the "Channel 6" tactic. (Sure, they get advertising dollars from these businesses, but they aren't necessarily afraid to go after them. Any decent news organization has autonomy from the advertising department.)

There's good advice sprinkled throughout this thread, though.

I'd demand an inspection by an independent diesel shop. Go ahead and offer to pay for that yourself, rather than charging it to the dealer. Let the independent shop's report tell you whether there's a valve problem. (Or any other.) … If not, then the dealer either lied to you about the truck's issues, can't be trusted to maintain the truck anyway (because they don't know what they're doing), or both.

If the diesel shop's inspection comes back clean, stick to your guns and demand the truck be turned back over to you. Further toss around the (not idle) threats of going to the TV news, the Better Business Bureau, whomever. Follow the advice of a previous poster(s) and offer to let them out of the warranty they sold you. OF COURSE you're not going to narc them out over the EGR delete. (BTW, I see EGR-deleted trucks *advertised* for sale by dealers all the time. Do a keyword search for "EGR delete" and "dealers only" at Autotrader.com right now and you'll get 87 hits nationwide. What gives?)

Anyway, they owe you the truck at the price agreed. If it's the truck you want, don't rest until you get anything less. And if you do let them out of anything besides the extended warranty (which as noted, you can buy elsewhere later), there needs to be some compensation for putting you through this hassle. … And if they don't make this right, it should go without saying you'll never be back, and you'll tell everyone you know not to do business there, either.

Good luck!

Old 02-20-2015, 08:15 AM
High Cetane
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tedster9
Problem there, where do you suppose the channel 6 news gets a huge chunk of their advertising revenue?
"Huge Chunk"(?) Not from a single Car dealership, possibly in a different state, thats for sure. Channel 6 is going to be on the air regardless of 1) Ford dealers "chunk".....
And if its a collective chunk between many area dealers, I doubt "Dealer A" would like hearing about "Dealer B's" bad publicity after cutting a check.
If you're thinking its higher up the food chain, I'd bet the conversation between the dealer's principal & the folks at Ford would take less than 30 seconds....

Last edited by High Cetane; 02-20-2015 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Clarification....
Old 02-20-2015, 08:21 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by TADcanoe
You have a good point, and that is why I brought all of this up in the first place. It does not say to fix whatever valve issue that they are telling me now. However, it gets more complicated because I did buy a 100,000 mile warranty with the truck. And after I got home, with the truck for the one day I had it, I noticed that it has a DPF and EGR delete. So it must also be tuned.

That is where stuff gets tricky. Because if I say that I want to keep the truck and deal with whatever issue myself, or let it break and have the warranty pay for it, they might deny it because it has a tune and EGR/DPF delete.
Valve guides (or lack there of) are known to wear prematurely on the 6.4l so I don't doubt it has some valve issues. Especially if it was tuned and ran hard. I wouldn't touch the truck if it were me. A Ford reman and install labor at the dealer is close to $20k for the 6.4l. If you want to keep the truck it would not hurt to have it gone over good at a reputable shop that knows the 6.4l.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:33 AM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I suggest contacting your lawyer, or, find a good lawyer, and get his/her opinion.

IF you took possession of the truck, and have a bill-of-sale with all of the terms spelled out, the dealer (IMNSHO) either owes you a 'repaired and compliant' truck, or, 100% refund with as yet to be specified fees for your time/trouble.

A contract is a contract.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:03 AM
KellyfromVA
Senior User
Personally, I don't like being ripped off, nor do I believe in taking advantage some someone who makes a mistake and is willing to fix it, be that a person nor a business. If the dealer agreed to give your money back and you can walk away, I'd take that option even if you like the truck. Sounds like someone at the dealer made a mistake, it happens. The dealer puts their business at risk for selling you an emissions-altered truck. Trying to shake them down for a bonus amount is dishonest.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:05 AM
mich800
Senior User
I don't know why anyone would suggest throwing money at a lawyer at this point. If this truck is deleted I am sure they are trying to undo the deal because they cannot sell it. Plus no matter what you will NOT have any warranty on the engine. Ford is pretty clear on their stance with tuners and deletes. As far as the local news, if pushed I am sure they will just come clean and explain they were trying to make the buyer whole and maintain a positive customer experience. So at the end of the day you have a high mileage 6.4 with no warranty. If the deal was good enough considering these facts go ahead an pursue closing on this deal. Otherwise you may need to evaluate how good of a deal are you really getting.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:36 AM
High Cetane
Senior User
Originally Posted by KellyfromVA
Personally, I don't like being ripped off, nor do I believe in taking advantage some someone who makes a mistake and is willing to fix it, be that a person nor a business. If the dealer agreed to give your money back and you can walk away, I'd take that option even if you like the truck. Sounds like someone at the dealer made a mistake, it happens. The dealer puts their business at risk for selling you an emissions-altered truck. Trying to shake them down for a bonus amount is dishonest.
I agree with the spirit of this. At the risk of a thread hijack....I submit the following...

The problem is that (most) dealerships are so profit-driven, that making the customer whole & happy is not their initial plan. Not that profit is a dirty word, but (often) their approach towards doing the right thing is akin to, as you say...a" shakedown" as opposed to a mutual deal.

Guy settles on a truck possibly passing on others, invests time, money, stress, etc, negotiates a deal, lives up to his end...and now the other party gets a free pass over their mistake? Be nice if that street was two-way....s'all I'm sayin.....

Old 02-20-2015, 09:44 AM
SDElwood
Hotshot
Received 588 Likes on 319 Posts
They offered you a warranty. You purchased the warranty. The truck needs repairs covered under warranty. Truck gets fixed under warranty. Otherwise just mention that you know a very good lawyer.

Quick Reply: Dealer won't give me my 08 F350 I purchased