Sponsored by:

"Wandering" What To Do

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 10:22 AM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Wandering" What To Do

Hey guys. Iv had a problem with my X since Iv bought it, and it likes to wander everywhere. I browsed the Tech Folder but the threads I read didn't have the same symptoms as me.

My X likes to wander all over the road no matter whats going on. Pulling a trailer, empty, its all over the place. It almost feels like the steering is loose on it. Your constantly turning the wheel side to side it keep it centered. Yesterday we got about 5-6 inches of snow. Not a lot, but enough. It made for quite an experience. If one tire was pushing more snow than the other, itd nearly whip me off the road. My mom drove it without snow on the road and she absolutely hates it because of the steering.

The previous owner said he replaced the ball joints on it so theres one issue gone. I replaced the stabilizer bar end links to fix the clunk. Still likes to go where it wants.

I read a popular mod for wandering Xs was the LandYot Radius Rods, but that guy has since went out of production. Any other ideas? Thanks guys!

Old 02-17-2015, 10:32 AM
Magnus E
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Also check your steering gear. Those tend to get loose and you can either adjust the gear if not completely worn or replace. Reasonably priced replacement can be found at the regular auto parts store, or a little more expensive ($400 range) if you go Ford or RedHead.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:46 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 833 Likes on 572 Posts
Have you tried the free mod yet?

Adjust tire pressures front/rear, some members have reported a large decrease in wandering with 50-55 PSI, every EX has it's own personality so trying different pressures may help.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:49 PM
Gene Horr
Senior User
As I've said on another thread the best thing is to just fix all of the worn parts. I was surprised at the items that felt fine when inspected on the vehicle with a load on them but when replaced were noticeably at the end of their life.

But I had a chance to play with tire pressure on an 800 mile trip this weekend. I had been running 55 PSI for years without any problems. I increased it to 65 PSI for this trip. Total vehicle weight was very close to 9000#.

There was a very noticeable difference at highway speeds. It wasn't wander though I can see how it could feel like it. The very slight tendency for the steering to self center on small adjustments when the alignment is correct feels like it disappears. So when making small adjustments you have to make a point to remove the slight turn you made in the wheel otherwise the vehicle keeps going in the direction of the correction. Until I adjusted my driving style it did "feel" like the truck was wandering all over the road. But in reality it was going exactly where I directed it to.

Hopefully a front end expert could chime in here but doesn't the slight toe-in setting provide the slight tendency for the wheels to recenter when making small adjustments? If so I wonder whether different alignment settings when running at higher tire pressures could help with this issue.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:54 PM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
I adjusted my tire pressure to 80 psi (IIRC) after buying my X. I always run 80 as that's the recommended pressure, a hair better fuel mileage, and I don't mind the ride.

I may have to check my steering gear to see the wear/adjustment. Having 246,000 miles, it's prolly getting wore

Old 02-17-2015, 02:22 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by El Camino Man
Hey guys. Iv had a problem with my X since Iv bought it, and it likes to wander everywhere. I browsed the Tech Folder but the threads I read didn't have the same symptoms as me.
Wow, I dunno what threads you're reading, but the suspension section is full of threads addressing your exact problem.

I adjusted my tire pressure to 80 psi (IIRC) after buying my X.
Too much pressure, IMO. Lower by 5lb increments and test drive to see where it feels best. You can also do the chalk test on the tires to find the optimum pressure for your tires.

Stewart

Old 02-17-2015, 03:03 PM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
That's the section I read. All the ones I read that said "wandering" we're while towing.

I may have to play with air pressure but I can't see how air pressure will affect handling that much, especially when they all have equal pressure

Old 02-17-2015, 03:26 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
80 PSI isn't the recommended pressure, the recommended pressure is on the door sticker. 80 PSI is the max pressure to get the max load rating on the E load range tires and that load limit in lbs is more than the EX's weight ratings so in a perfect world the Ex shouldn't ever really need 80 PSI in it's load range E tires. Members here have reported that at 80 PSI it felt like they were driving on marbles and resetting pressures down near the Ford recommended numbers worked better for when not towing. Also along with each Ex having it's own personality and quirks that same thought can be applied to various different tire makes and styles. Try 50 front and 55 rear or 55 front and 60 rear and see how that feels.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:43 PM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
Theres a better answer! Thank you Tom. So is the general consensus tire pressure or will it more likely be a front end issue?

Old 02-17-2015, 03:51 PM
Lance Helmert
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I would inspect everything, steering box, tie rods, drag link, ball joints, wheel bearings. The previous owner may have gotten cheap ball joints, done them a long time ago, or even lied about replacing them. Start with air pressure, it's free.

Old 02-17-2015, 04:06 PM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
Im gonna try air pressure for starters. Like you said, its free lol. And I was correct, my tire pressure was at near 80 psi all the way around. Im gonna start high and work my way down: 65 front, 70 rear. If I feel a difference, Ill let er down more.

Soon as the weather breaks (not anytime soon) Im gonna pull it in the shop and inspect the front end components

Old 02-17-2015, 04:20 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Yes, try the pressure changes first but do plan on going over the front end components to check for any worn parts there. On an Ex wander can come from almost anything or anywhere, front end looseness, tire pressures and even rear springs wrapping and flexing. But always check out all steering parts for wear before moving towards the rear.

Old 02-18-2015, 04:16 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
That's the section I read. All the ones I read that said "wandering" we're while towing.

As stated in every single suspension thread that addresses the steering wander....stated ad nauseam I might add...the culprit for the phenomenon known as Excursion Steering Wander are the OEM springs Ford put on the 4x4 Excursion. Not the springs and towing, just the springs.

The problem exists and presents itself while the Excursion is driven down the road and it's a problem that has never been said to be caused by towing. Is the problem exacerbated when towing? Sure, but short of an improper tow setup, worn parts or parts not performing to spec, Excursion Steering Wander has always been the question who's answer has always been the OEM leaf springs. Not the OEM leaf springs and towing.

I may have to play with air pressure but I can't see how air pressure will affect handling that much, especially when they all have equal pressure
A tire does not keep a static shape with different air pressures. It changes. For example, with too much air pressure, the middle of the tread face will bulge out, reducing the contact patch of the tire. One effect on driving this will have will be to experience what some call tread squirm.

This is one reason I suggested you do the chalk line test.

Stewart

Old 02-18-2015, 07:04 AM
stpete
Senior User
If you carefully read the threads about wander, there are two camps for tire pressure. Those in the 50-55 and those in the over 65. I suspect it has to do with tire brand. Mine works best between 65 and 70. But, it's also 2WD. There's waaaay more info on 4WD.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:59 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Too much pressure, IMO. Lower by 5lb increments and test drive to see where it feels best. You can also do the chalk test on the tires to find the optimum pressure for your tires.

Stewart
Agreed, been there done that...

I run 10 above what's on the door on my '05.

Front 60 psi
Rear 65 psi

Truck still handles well and the ride isn't rough