Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Current Ball Joint Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 09:06 PM
lfthrdr
Mountain Pass
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
After talking to my buddy who reminded me he has been doing front end work, including suspension and alignments, for the last 25 years, I am going to go with Ford/Motorcraft. So I contacted a dealer and he said there are Ford part #'s and Motorcraft part #'s. I don't understand why things can't be easy!! Here are the part #'s I came up with and he seemed to confirm . . .

Ford part # Upper ball joint--4C3Z-3049-DB (non-greasable)
Motorcraft part # upper ball joint--F6TZ-3V049-BA (he wasn't sure if this was the greasable)

Ford part # Lower ball joint--BC3Z3050B
Motorcraft part # Lower ball joint--2C3Z-3v050-bA

This would lead to the next question of which ones are better? Or does it really matter. My buddy recommended the Motorcraft ones and I trust him.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:15 PM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I always thought the ford numbers were the original parts and when replacements are made they use a motorcraft number. I thought if you tried to order the ford number, it would cross to the motorcraft replacement. But maybe there is a difference??

Old 02-16-2015, 09:18 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 05MilMachine
I always thought the ford numbers were the original parts and when replacements are made they use a motorcraft number. I thought if you tried to order the ford number, it would cross to the motorcraft replacement. But maybe there is a difference??
With a ton of the parts, I always order "brown box" they say ford... Like my front brake pads...

If you just ask for OEM pads you get Motorcraft ( crap in my opinion ).

Old 02-16-2015, 09:33 PM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Do you ask for that at the dealer or search by part number online? Can't believe I never knew this!

Old 02-16-2015, 09:39 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 05MilMachine
Do you ask for that at the dealer or search by part number online? Can't believe I never knew this!
Dealer, dont feel bad I would have never known if it wasn't for all my brake problems on my previous ex around 2011... Now when I plan any repair I call the dealer parts counter and pre order my parts before going in to service. They know me well, ok maybe too well lol.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:25 PM
jpr38057
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lfthrdr
After talking to my buddy who reminded me he has been doing front end work, including suspension and alignments, for the last 25 years, I am going to go with Ford/Motorcraft. So I contacted a dealer and he said there are Ford part #'s and Motorcraft part #'s. I don't understand why things can't be easy!! Here are the part #'s I came up with and he seemed to confirm . . .

Ford part # Upper ball joint--4C3Z-3049-DB (non-greasable)
Motorcraft part # upper ball joint--F6TZ-3V049-BA (he wasn't sure if this was the greasable)

Ford part # Lower ball joint--BC3Z3050B
Motorcraft part # Lower ball joint--2C3Z-3v050-bA

This would lead to the next question of which ones are better? Or does it really matter. My buddy recommended the Motorcraft ones and I trust him.
The V in the part #'s stands for value line.

4C3Z-3049-DB (upper) is greaseable. I have it in stock and looked at it.

BC3Z-3050-B (lower) is not greaseable.

According to my parts look up system, the V #'s aren't available for your truck.

Old 02-17-2015, 02:02 PM
RobRoss
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FWIW, I bought my 05 4x4 V10 Excursion with 87k on it. At that time, I drilled and tapped the lower (original) ball joints and installed a zerk fitting in each one. I now have a 142k on it now and they are still in great shape! My truck wandered at the time and 1st greasing the lower ball joints helped reduce it.

My point is that even if you replace the lowers with non greaseable joints, it's easy to add a zerk to it.

Last edited by RobRoss; 02-17-2015 at 02:03 PM. Reason: added content
Old 02-17-2015, 04:40 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 833 Likes on 572 Posts
Originally Posted by RobRoss
FWIW, I bought my 05 4x4 V10 Excursion with 87k on it. At that time, I drilled and tapped the lower (original) ball joints and installed a zerk fitting in each one. I now have a 142k on it now and they are still in great shape! My truck wandered at the time and 1st greasing the lower ball joints helped reduce it.

My point is that even if you replace the lowers with non greaseable joints, it's easy to add a zerk to it.

I drilled and added zerks to my lowers also at about 70k miles and at 101k now with no issues.

Old 02-18-2015, 04:12 PM
lfthrdr
Mountain Pass
I went ahead and took the advice of my friend at the heavy suspension shop and got the Motorcraft ones, so I will see how they hold up. I had already ordered them before it was pointed out the "V" in the part number stood for value line! That can't be a good thing but I trust the advice given to me. Based on the pictures, it looked like both of them were greasable so I will keep my fingers crossed.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:47 AM
Alex F
Senior User
So, the XRF is not the way to go?

I'm needing to replace mine soon-ish.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:18 AM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Alex F

EVERYBODY is going to give you there OWN opinions !! They just can't help it MANY have used & recommend the XRF with GREAT results reported. I was going to get them as well THEN I found a "BROWN BOX" Ford not M/C Value line delivered for $20 !! Now & just need to find another

Old 02-20-2015, 04:57 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Just put some in

Old 02-21-2015, 01:39 AM
lfthrdr
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Alex F

I never heard anything bad about XRF in my research. However, I went ahead with the Motorcraft ones due to my friend's recommendation and expertise. He is also helping with the install so I wanted to take his advice.

XRF would have been my second choice, especially with the million-mile warranty.

Old 04-18-2015, 02:57 PM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Anyone who stumbles on this thread, I posted where the shop did my uppers only.... If you have it apart, change all four, it does make sense. The lower on my drivers side took a rapid dump over the last month. Vibrations at speed were the tipoff that something was wrong and I was looking for issues with my new X/C springs, but low and behold, pry bar under the tire trick and I can clearly see the lower on the drivers side is quite sloppy loose. So much for the shop saving me some money. At least I have a third vehicle to drive and a 20 ton press, and a separate ball joint press if that doesn't do the trick, so I can attempt to replace the lowers myself this time. Might do new unit bearings while I have it apart since I hate doing things twice.

Old 04-18-2015, 04:02 PM
A Rodder
Posting Guru
This a good thread,

Can you guys confirm, on the lowers that don't have a zerk, cam you drill/tap while they are installed with the wheels mounted.

If I put mine on my lift at work I will try it next week.

I am still experiencing wandering, although less, after doing the Redhead box, x/b codes, bilstein shocks & steering dampener, hellwigs....etc

Quick Reply: Current Ball Joint Question