1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Engine acts like I'm running on 5 cylinders!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 03:07 PM
Skyrag
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine acts like I'm running on 5 cylinders!

Hello all! I am new here and could really use some serious help! I have an 2002 f250 Lariat 2wd with 250k, I have an early model Edge programmer that will be upgraded soon. A couple of days ago my check engine light came on and the truck started running like it only had 5 cylinders and could only go 20mph max. I pulled over and turned it off waited for about 10 min. Then I restared it and it ran fine, but the check engine light stayed on. 5 miles later, same thing happened again, luckily I was close to the house and made it home. Next day it started up and drove fine all day, but it was running rough at idle. Day after that I started it up and it immediately started like it was on 5 cylinders. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks, Skyrag.

Old 02-15-2015, 03:13 PM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
More like 4 cylinders... It's time to pop the valve covers and do the "50 cent mod". Do a quick search here and you'll find at least 100 threads on the topic. Good luck.

Old 02-15-2015, 05:08 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,972 Likes on 1,107 Posts
It's time to BUY NEW valve cover gaskets. Once the terminals have gone open and fretting has taken place, the "$0.50 Mod" is just a waste of time since the damage is already done. If you don't replace them now, you'll be back in there again....when? Who knows.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:28 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by cleatus12r
It's time to BUY NEW valve cover gaskets. Once the terminals have gone open and fretting has taken place, the "$0.50 Mod" is just a waste of time since the damage is already done. If you don't replace them now, you'll be back in there again....when? Who knows.
Just the gaskets or the UVCH harness too? I mean if you're worried about a little corrosion on a connector, why not replace it all?

Does that mean the main engine wiring harness too, or can you just splice in pigtails for the outside harness connector?

I understand where you're coming from Cody, but it's not like everything instantly corrodes the second the plug comes loose. If there are burnt or corroded pins or connectors, it's time to start changing parts, but sometimes you can just plug it back in.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:35 PM
Skyrag
Junior User
Thanks For the help guys!

Old 02-15-2015, 07:35 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,972 Likes on 1,107 Posts
Originally Posted by F350-6
Just the gaskets or the UVCH harness too? I mean if you're worried about a little corrosion on a connector, why not replace it all?

Does that mean the main engine wiring harness too, or can you just splice in pigtails for the outside harness connector?

I understand where you're coming from Cody, but it's not like everything instantly corrodes the second the plug comes loose. If there are burnt or corroded pins or connectors, it's time to start changing parts, but sometimes you can just plug it back in.
Harness too.

I'm not talking about corrosion. I'm talking about the erosion and burning that occurs on the terminals themselves called "fretting" that leads to resistance. Resistance equals heat. Heat equals melted connectors.
https://www.google.com/search?q=elec...w=1440&bih=751

As for the external connectors, they seem to be less of a problem since gravity isn't really conducive to their self-extraction but if the external one is the problem then by all means it should get replaced too.

Old 02-15-2015, 07:42 PM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Don't let these dudes scare you outta this forum.

You say it's running...........big plus. If you can get it running again and can walk around and pop the hood.............. Start carefully and with a clear head, while it's running..., wiggle every loom, if all of a sudden...........it flattens out. I say this because I was looking at injectors on my drivers side and it turned out to be electrical, not mechanical. (In my case 2 bad pin connections) If you hear things pick up a bit, log where you wiggled, but keep up the search.

I was told long ago from a mechanic.............All Mechanics love they're probes but not a one covers they're (***) hole.
If you really think you have a bank down. Drop the valve covers and disconnect one bank inside the cover at the UVC and you'll figure out which side of town you live on.

Let us know?!

Denny

Old 02-15-2015, 07:48 PM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Btw, Skyrag and Chris.............you both are in Texas. Just wondering if your not looking over a backyard fence at each others trucks???

Annnnnnnnnnnnnd where the hell is Temperance Michigan??? Googling.

Old 02-15-2015, 07:50 PM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselDenny

Where it's -2 degrees right now and feels like -22........

Old 02-15-2015, 08:11 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by cleatus12r
Harness too.

I'm not talking about corrosion. I'm talking about the erosion and burning that occurs on the terminals themselves called "fretting" that leads to resistance. Resistance equals heat. Heat equals melted connectors.
https://www.google.com/search?q=elec...w=1440&bih=751

As for the external connectors, they seem to be less of a problem since gravity isn't really conducive to their self-extraction but if the external one is the problem then by all means it should get replaced too.
I understand fretting. I understand what you're saying and where you're coming from. I still think you're over reacting.

Btw, Skyrag and Chris.............you both are in Texas. Just wondering if your not looking over a backyard fence at each others trucks???
I'm in what most would consider North Texas, so he's probably a couple of hours or more South of me. Unfortunately my fence isn't that big.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:34 PM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Your Edge should be able to read codes. Those would help but it sounds like the harness under the valve cover has come loose on one side. Search 50 cent mod. While you have the valve covers off, retorque the injector hold down bolts and rockers.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:11 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
UVCH link in my signature. That will likely give you all your answers on what's causing this. While testing, also make sure nothing is shorted to ground.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:29 AM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A bad injector solenoid or chafed wires on the harness to the engine, over the left valve cover can cause the same symptoms.

Old 02-16-2015, 03:32 PM
Skyrag
Junior User

lol, I live north of Austin so I'm a couple of degrees warmer. I will let y'all know what I find. Thanks again everyone!

Old 02-16-2015, 03:54 PM
montanasteve
Senior User
Skyrag, since nobody has mentioned it yet, there are retailers who support this forum, such as Clay at Riffraff Diesel. These guys know our trucks, they have aftermarket "performance" goodies, and they have the OEM stuff that needs to stay OEM (sensors, etc). And their OEM stuff, like the valve cover gaskets and harnesses you may be needing in your near future, is WAY cheaper than from a Ford dealer. Can't recommend Clay enough.

Last edited by montanasteve; 02-16-2015 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Content

Quick Reply: Engine acts like I'm running on 5 cylinders!