6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Bought a Truck without DPF? How to tell if Tuned?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 12:34 PM
TADcanoe
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bought a Truck without DPF? How to tell if Tuned?

First I would like to say hi, as this is my very first truck. I have owned many subarus and even tuned them up to 530whp! Which is a ton for a 4 cylinder.

I purchased a 2008 F350 King Ranch with 143k miles from a Ford Dealer. Dealer gave me a great price with a 100k mile warranty! So it is warrantied to 243k.

But my issue is that I looked under it today, after buying it and just realized that it does not have the giant DPF in the exhaust. I would have wanted to delete it anyway, but because I got a warranty, I wasn't going to touch it. It has stock muffler and tip.

The questions are:

1. How can I tell if it has a chip or tune that makes sure it will run properly without the DPF.

2. If it is properly tuned and I do have warranty issues, will they even cover it? They did sell it to me this way.

3. What else should I look for? EGR delete? Where is it? Or should it be?

You can treat me like a newb because I am, but I do understand cars, but just not this truck, yet. My first Diesel.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:44 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Welcome to FTE!

Yes, 530 hp out of a boxer motor is something to be proud of!

As to your truck, I would assume a tune is installed in it to run properly with the DPF delete. And, coming from a dealer, I would THINK they hooked it up to a computer and scanned it for codes and any recall notices for it while in their possession, but maybe not. Having never owned a new truck before, (or car either for that matter) I always assumed a modified vehicle would void the manufacturers warranty. I would check with the place you bought it to make sure the warranty still applies.

Old 02-15-2015, 02:13 PM
TADcanoe
Freshman User
Yeah, I will have to go and talk to the dealer, or just service department. I am hoping that I can get them to document that the DPF was deleted when I bought it. And the EGR, since I just figured out that there is also no EGR. Truck drive great though, so there must be some sort of tune. I am hoping if they document that I didn't have that stuff on it when I bought the truck, and they sold me a warranty anyway, they had better cover it.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:17 PM
mohle
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As per Ford, there is no warranty if the emissions systems have been tampered with, ie. your DPF and EGR delete. It may be a third party warranty, but I would want everything in writing.
With the DPF and EGR gone, you have to run a tune so as not to trip a check engine light. Now it may be a stock type of tune that just disables these items, but may also be some crazy tune. You may have problems if you ever take the truck to a dealer for service. Most of the computer diagnostics are designed to work with the stock programming and all equipment in place.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:36 PM
TADcanoe
Freshman User
Ok, Thanks. I will get them to put in writing that it is covered with the tune and no DPF, EGR or I will return it to the dealer for my money back. Getting the warranty was the only reason that I bought a truck with this high of mileage.

Old 02-16-2015, 05:33 PM
mohle
More Turbo
Careful with the Ford warranty as well. A lot of people think they are getting an extra couple of years from the time that they purchased their used Ford, when in fact it's from the time that the vehicle was first registered. You may end up paying thousands for the warranty, but only get a couple months instead of a couple of years.

My own truck is deleted and tuned, but I would be very hesitant to buy a used truck like that. Too many guys running hot tunes and just beating the crap out of the vehicles.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:09 AM
jmhatchett
Senior User
And it is my understanding that it is not legal for a dealership to sell a vehicle that is not compliant i.e. DPF and EGR delete. So if they give you any grief you might do some research on this and and have this card in your hand ready to play it if need be!

Old 02-17-2015, 04:46 PM
mohle
More Turbo
Not sure if it's illegal, but rather certain that Ford wouldn't approve. They could lose their dealership over something like that.

Old 02-18-2015, 03:56 PM
fatboytx
Senior User
I think the criteria for most dealers is that it passes a visual inspection, meaning the EGR and DPF are intact. Working, tuner, etc etc are less important. Would they take a truck in trade missing equipment? I think if they knew a wholesaler that would take the truck "as is" they would do it in a heartbeat. They would just pass along the wholesaler $ offer to the seller as the trade in allowance.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:40 PM
dlibson
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mohle
Not sure if it's illegal, but rather certain that Ford wouldn't approve. They could lose their dealership over something like that.
It is quite illegal to sell a vehicle with missing or tampered with emissions systems. Even if you sell it...

Old 02-18-2015, 09:23 PM
mohle
More Turbo
Originally Posted by dlibson
It is quite illegal to sell a vehicle with missing or tampered with emissions systems. Even if you sell it...

I guess that would depend on where you live.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:34 PM
dlibson
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No, it's a federal law actually. While only some states, counties, and so on test it is illegal everywhere.

Old 02-19-2015, 05:32 PM
TADcanoe
Freshman User
Thanks for all the input. Now the Dealer has the truck because I actually bought it the day after it was traded in. They hadn't gone over everything yet and I brought it back for them to do so. The went over it and told be that the valves were bad (coming from the sales person, so he didn't know what was bad about them) and that it was 5k to fix it. He said that because of this, they can't sell me the truck and will give me my money back.

Now, we got a really good deal on the truck and want to keep it, but want the truck fixed. They said that they would fix whatever was wrong with it when I brought it back after purchasing it. Should I just get my money back, or fight them and say that I signed the paperwork and the truck is mine? And that I want it fixed. Can I even do that? Not sure if it worth it, because they are my local dealer and I don't want to have a bad relationship.

Old 02-19-2015, 05:51 PM
mohle
More Turbo
Let them keep it and get your money back. It's probably been beaten pretty bad and you don't want anyone else's problems.

Old 02-19-2015, 05:54 PM
mohle
More Turbo
Originally Posted by dlibson
No, it's a federal law actually. While only some states, counties, and so on test it is illegal everywhere.

Last I checked, it's not illegal in Alberta. Deleted trucks are sold here every day. I can go to the local aftermarket shop and buy a DPF delete right over the counter. We also don't have emissions testing.

Quick Reply: Bought a Truck without DPF? How to tell if Tuned?