Sponsored by: Moser

Ford, Why Not 100k Mile Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 12:17 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,233 Likes on 809 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
That was a hell of a deal for those who keep their cars a long time, a good friend of mine bought one of their cars with that warranty. NON-transferrable limits their liability, and you have to have annual or bi-annual inspections to keep the warranty valid after a certain point.

I think it's marketing genius to have a warranty like that. The overwhelming majority of folks who buy new cars don't keep them that long, and the minute the truck changes ownership the lifetime warranty expires. I'm sure there are some lifetime claims they are still paying out, but I bet they are few and far between.
Even the Hyundai / Kia 10 year / 100K mile power train warranty drops back to normal car warranties if it's traded before the warranty expires. Yes, it is a stroke of marketing genius.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:52 AM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by QwkTrip
Because Hyundai is top notch quality, and they also own Kia, and needed to do something to grow sales in US where nobody wanted a Korean car. Hyundai is a case study of how high quality is profitable. Quality training courses used to study Toyota and now they study Hyundai.

If you recall, Dodge began the 100K mile warranty when they were desperate for sales. They just threw caution to the wind and did it. Remember the lifetime warranty?
Having toured the Korean Hyundai and Hyundai steel plants and living in Korea they are some of the hardest working folks on this planet and quality is truly Job 1 in their thinking.

If you ever get an opportunity to do business with Koreans do it, they won't screw you, but they do drive a hard bargain and leave no money on the table, but they deliver...

I have wondered why Ford did not go the distance on a 100k warranty on the new 6.7 engine.

I cannot speak for Ford and do not know anyone at the engineering level. But I can imagine the round table discussions. I will put on my engineering hat (retired now) and approach this. The phase I engine was not only brand new but a ground up design using all new technology to produce a engine in the diesel format. WOW what a gamble and its paid off for Ford. That said the new and improved engine released in '15 should have come with a 100k warranty IMO.

That said I would have recommended a 100k warranty on the engine and its components, but not the powertrain (transfer case, transmission and axle sets). The engine is a strong engine. Probably capable of generating a 1000 lbs of torque + but the rest of the powertrain is not up to the task especially when torque multiplication come into play. I would imagine destroying the drive train would be a simple task with a right foot...so Ford holds back the torque application to keep it alive.

Another factor that comes into play especially in the Superduty trucks is 'use'. Just looking at postings here there are plenty of folks who are using their trucks near capacity, I for one haul on a regular basis over 5000 lbs and just recently it sat in the bed of the truck for over a month (I did lift the weight when it was not being driven).

Get over on some of the RV forums and there plenty of folks who will tell you they are overweight in tow/haul, in fact some will brag on how much they are overloaded! One of my buddies is pulling almost 50k lbs, gawd only knows his pin weight!!!

Plus you have a lot of folks who use their superduty in their business and Ford does not know the end use of the buyer unless a fleet buy under a company name.

Ford would do good to make extended warranty a RPO on the order sheet IMO.

I am now looking at ESP's for my truck since I plan on keeping it for a long time. Any recommendations will be appreciated...

Old 06-01-2015, 04:16 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks
I have wondered why Ford did not go the distance on a 100k warranty on the new 6.7 engine.
Pretty sure they did. There's no 6.7L gas engine to get confused with, and the 2015 Warranty Guide shows a 5-year, 100,000 mile warranty on the Powerstroke engine.

Old 06-01-2015, 06:49 PM
billybobzia
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We own a Hyundai Elantra Touring Wagon.. I bought it for the warranty, at 12,300 miles, the clutch went out. I, and my wife, have been driving manual's all of our lives, in fact, my 13 f150 was the first auto ever,. they fought us tooth and nail saying it was our fault.

After I agreed to go to court, they finally conceded and paid for it. I was pissed, still am. I will not buy another Hyundai. We do still own it because we bought an ESP to 100k. Its has been trouble free mostly, now with 67k. But.. its rides like *****, seems like struts/shocks are going? My wife drives a lot for work so we will probably run it into the ground.. but not happy with my experience..

Whats next? We like having a fuel efficient car and truck, just got a new truck, thinking about a ford focus maybe....

Old 06-01-2015, 06:54 PM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Tom
Pretty sure they did. There's no 6.7L gas engine to get confused with, and the 2015 Warranty Guide shows a 5-year, 100,000 mile warranty on the Powerstroke engine.
I was told when I bought it it was 5/60k, will check my paperwork...you are right its 5/100,000 on the engine!! My sales guy did not know that, he clearly thought "powertrain" meant engine also....

Old 06-01-2015, 06:55 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Ford, Why Not 100k Mile Warranty?

If people want a longer warranty they can certainly purchase one. Not everybody does though...

Old 06-01-2015, 06:57 PM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by billybobzia
We own a Hyundai Elantra Touring Wagon.. I bought it for the warranty, at 12,300 miles, the clutch went out. I, and my wife, have been driving manual's all of our lives, in fact, my 13 f150 was the first auto ever,. they fought us tooth and nail saying it was our fault.

After I agreed to go to court, they finally conceded and paid for it. I was pissed, still am. I will not buy another Hyundai. We do still own it because we bought an ESP to 100k. Its has been trouble free mostly, now with 67k. But.. its rides like *****, seems like struts/shocks are going? My wife drives a lot for work so we will probably run it into the ground.. but not happy with my experience..

Whats next? We like having a fuel efficient car and truck, just got a new truck, thinking about a ford focus maybe....
What exactly went out" Clutch plate, pressure plate, throw out bearing, slave cyl? Lot of stuff in there and clutches don't normally go belly up at 12k miles...

Old 06-01-2015, 07:03 PM
billybobzia
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks
What exactly went out" Clutch plate, pressure plate, throw out bearing, slave cyl? Lot of stuff in there and clutches don't normally go belly up at 12k miles...
I don't exactly know, but $1600 worth of stuff went out.. 300 miles passed bumper to bumper warranty and you don't cover it??

Seriously, I was mad and wasn't going to back down. I have driven numerous cars past 100k without ever replacing a clutch, yet somehow they were convinced I blew this one up (like a hyundai elantra is some sort of race car)..

I hope others have had good experiences, but it left a bad taste in my mouth..

Old 06-01-2015, 09:22 PM
bmuhlbach
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My neighbor lady had a KIA van started issues around 70,000 miles I think dealer worked with them or it was covered under warranty. When she hit 100,000 miles it was in the dealer monthly. A.C, struts,axles and more. They where dropping lots of money.So they traded it in on a new one. A few issues with the new one. He drives most of his stuff into the 300,000 mile range no joke.So for them to trade it must have been junk.He had 4 Windstars one 2003 had 420,000 miles only issue was ac. lines rotted off and abs light was always on. He was A Courier and drove alot.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:17 PM
dilas
Tuned
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Yes I agree that Ford should honor all new vehicles with 100k warranty. This would be a gesture to buyers that they are built to last. I paid over 40k for a new F150 that's a lot of money. Assuring with 100k warranty would make my purchase less painful. Ended up coughing another 1800 for ESP 100k warranty for a peace of mind especially with new EcoBoost technology. Ford is lucky that I bleed blue. Despite others are offering better warranties.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:22 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, a 100K mile warranty would certainly seal the deal for some people on the fence about buying Dodge or Chevy.

Old 06-02-2015, 05:53 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,233 Likes on 809 Posts
My sister bought a new 2014 Hyundai Elantra and passed on the Focus solely because of the warranty. 18K miles on the car and no issues. However, she did try to trade it for a Hyundai SUV as the salesperson said she would be good to go in a year and that turned out to be untruthful. The value of the Elantra plummeted. Not sure how the Focus would have fared in similar circumstances.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:10 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 455 Likes on 332 Posts
Well, I don't think I'm out of line to say that making the warranty any longer would cost Ford some money, and they'd need to pass that on to the customer.
Here's a question, how much would you be willing to pay for a warranty to 100k vs the current warranty? An extra $100? $500?
How much would one of those ESP's cost?

Myself, I'd be interested to know how much of a discount I could get for a much SHORTER warranty. maybe 30,000 miles . . .

Old 06-02-2015, 09:15 AM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Guess I'm part of the problem...I bought the truck because I felt it would last and didn't need an extended warranty. If I wasn't confident about the engineering and production levels, an extended warranty still wouldn't convince me to buy something.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:40 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I never understood the compulsory warranty whining. As a consumer, I'd rather zero warranty and then the real market option to buy one. Why would you want every single vehicle to have 5/100 warranty (20k miles per year), when very few people actually drive that much. It's not "free", it's included in the cost of the vehicle. Yes, it's good marketing, but you can't call yourself a savvy customer and also request vehicles get more warranty than you need. The great thing about market extended warranties is you can build them to your driving style and ownership length and you can even pick the company you buy it from. Heck, I can sell you a Ford warranty for your Chevy if you want. You mention the Koreans and their warranty is shortened when it changes hands, so there is no help in resale, they just assume most people don't keep brand new cars that long.

Quick Reply: Ford, Why Not 100k Mile Warranty?