Sponsored by: Moser

Ford, Why Not 100k Mile Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 06:14 PM
capn kirk
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford, Why Not 100k Mile Warranty?

I'm starting to wonder why Dodge, Hyundai, and Kia are willing to cover their power train for 100k miles and 5-10 years while for sticks at 60k/5yr with a pay for extended option. Hyundai and Kia even go 60 bumper-bumper. I know everything comes down to numbers so either Dodge sees a big sales increase by sticking with 100k miles or their numbers show that they don't have the repairs to bite into their margins making the warranty repairs.

If I'm Ford the only reason I can think I keep my warranty at 60k is because my numbers say I lose money fixing too many vehicles, otherwise I'd raise my warranty for marketing and show of pride in my product.

Not saying those makes are better than Ford I'm still a buyer, just a question I wish Ford would answer.

Old 02-13-2015, 06:59 PM
Little General
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It would take a 100,000 mile warranty for me to switch from Ford to one of those brands. I lied, I still wouldn't switch

Old 02-13-2015, 07:28 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Marketing...not needed. Ford is # 1 in truck sales.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:46 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Because Hyundai is top notch quality, and they also own Kia, and needed to do something to grow sales in US where nobody wanted a Korean car. Hyundai is a case study of how high quality is profitable. Quality training courses used to study Toyota and now they study Hyundai.

If you recall, Dodge began the 100K mile warranty when they were desperate for sales. They just threw caution to the wind and did it. Remember the lifetime warranty?

Old 02-13-2015, 11:24 PM
gDMJoe
Laughing Gas
Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
All of the Ford dealers in this area have a 100,000 mile drivetrain warranty on new vehicles beginning a couple/three years ago. *Though haven't read the fine print.

-click- the pic'
Goth 150
< This space intentionally -blank- >

Old 02-14-2015, 04:47 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
I started a similar thread in the 2015 forum. There seems to be plenty of argument as to why Ford doesn't offer this, frankly, I'm not buying a word of it. Too many people are sipping the koolaid.

I don't know if Ford would increase sales or not, it hasn't made GM #1 in truck sales but they're #1 in total volume. Ram and Chrysler sales sure are growing at the expense of Ford and GM though.

Old 02-14-2015, 07:43 AM
capn kirk
Posting Guru
I'm with you tseekins, from a business standpoint longer warranty statistically guarantees you'll spend more money on repairs and they may be happy with their current sales (I doubt they ever are happy to keep sales where they are). I know Dodge used it as a life jacket and it seems to help. I guess Ford look at the predicted loss vs sales increase and they shy away, but I just see that as a bad sign for us. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong, but that says to me Ford doesn't have much faith in their power trains going 100k miles trouble free.

Qwktrip I have noticed that Hyundai and Kia have really shown us something when it comes to quality. 10 years ago I used to think they were scrap now we're leaning towards the Santa Fe for my wife, guess what her biggest nudge towards Hyundai is....

Old 02-14-2015, 12:03 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
I once learned why Toyota doesn't have extra long warranty but I can't recall the details. I think it came down to the simple idea that people believe in the brand and will buy with or without extra long warranty.

The goal of a business is to make money. Longer warranty reduces profits without a step change improvement of quality. And money saved from quality improvements is usually not passed on to the customer - that money goes straight in to increased profits for the business. Extended warranties make a lot of money too. I don't think you'll see warranties change unless somehow market pressure forces it. And even in that case don't fool yourselves.... You'll pay for it in the price of the car. There is no free lunch.

Old 02-14-2015, 05:17 PM
muziclova
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had 1985 Bronco and 1999 Ranger both had over 120.000 miles with no engine
or tranny problems. Ford dose'nt need to have the warranty.
Take care of your truck and it will take care of you.

Old 02-14-2015, 05:34 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by QwkTrip
I once learned why Toyota doesn't have extra long warranty but I can't recall the details. I think it came down to the simple idea that people believe in the brand and will buy with or without extra long warranty.
I sure wish Toyota had a 100,000 powertrain warranty when my wife's rear differential failed at 72,000 miles. Freak occurrence, but even the best brands can have problems.

The goal of a business is to make money. Longer warranty reduces profits without a step change improvement of quality. And money saved from quality improvements is usually not passed on to the customer - that money goes straight in to increased profits for the business. Extended warranties make a lot of money too. I don't think you'll see warranties change unless somehow market pressure forces it. And even in that case don't fool yourselves.... You'll pay for it in the price of the car. There is no free lunch.
Couldn't have said it better.

Old 02-14-2015, 05:45 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Most people , In my area , trade cars so often that warranty rarely comes in to play . The old timers , and poor people like me , buy used anyway . I only see an extended warranty as a gimmick .
On the other hand ... A $65K diesel truck , That should have a 100 to 300K powertrain warranty .
Juts my thoughts ....

Old 02-14-2015, 06:26 PM
capn kirk
Posting Guru
You guys are right on I think about it being a business decision, but that means Fords looking at the line that margin gets ate into because too many vehicles don't have 100k mile power train life.

I buy ford trucks for work and last week had a 2010 150 that a supervisor drives not a hard use truck blow its trans at 99k miles. Bad luck I don't believe that trans is common to blow. I honestly believe regular maintenance should get you to 100k on a work truck or van and there's a possibility of a major repair needed between 100 and 200k miles, but 200k is reasonable mileage to hit on a truck. My old 96 250 lost its trans at 160k that I was expected from what I had heard and didn't bother me too much because I was ready for it. I just feel like ford should be able to say we sell the best work truck, the sales to construction and contractors are big for us, we will go 100k miles or we'll fix it.

Old 02-15-2015, 01:00 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
I know with me and my family (extended included) we have always timed out on warranty before getting anywhere close to mileage limits. My 2011 F-150 just rolled over 30k miles, i still have power train warranty until 2016 and that sits just fine with me.

My Grandmother just bought a brand new Chrysler 300C, it came with a 5year/100k power train warranty. The last Chrysler 300c we got her in 2006 we bought the extended warranty to be covered for 7 years/75k miles bumper to bumper. We ended up never needing any work done to the car in the 9 years she has owned it, it now has 47k miles on it.

Makes no difference to me!

Old 02-15-2015, 09:42 AM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$

If you recall, Dodge began the 100K mile warranty when they were desperate for sales. They just threw caution to the wind and did it. Remember the lifetime warranty?
Right, my sister bought a Durango then, IIRC '07-08? They send her stuff in the mail all the time trying to persuade her to trade it in, and why would she?

Old 02-15-2015, 10:37 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by D8chumley
Right, my sister bought a Durango then, IIRC '07-08? They send her stuff in the mail all the time trying to persuade her to trade it in, and why would she?
That was a hell of a deal for those who keep their cars a long time, a good friend of mine bought one of their cars with that warranty. NON-transferrable limits their liability, and you have to have annual or bi-annual inspections to keep the warranty valid after a certain point.

I think it's marketing genius to have a warranty like that. The overwhelming majority of folks who buy new cars don't keep them that long, and the minute the truck changes ownership the lifetime warranty expires. I'm sure there are some lifetime claims they are still paying out, but I bet they are few and far between.

Quick Reply: Ford, Why Not 100k Mile Warranty?