tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Standard warranty on the 2015's

Warranty - Bumper to Bumper 3 years 36,000 miles
Warranty - Powertrain 5 years 60,000 miles
Warranty - Safety Restraint System 5 years 60,000 miles
Warranty - Aluminum Body Panels 5 years Unlimited miles
Warranty - Corrosion - Sheet Metal (Perforation Only Excluding Aluminum) 5 years Unlimited miles
Warranty - Paint Adhesion 5 years Unlimited miles
Warranty - Roadside Assistance Program 5 years 60,000 miles

I'm pleased to see an unlimited mileage warranty on the aluminum panels and paint adhesion. Hopefully this will settle some folks down.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:10 AM
CuNmUdF250
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I know they don't offer 5/100 on power train because they don't have to but my god it just seems that if they did they could really crush Dodge and GM......when I bought the '13 warranty was a factor to the point that I considered the others but my Ford bias wouldn't allow it

Old 02-08-2015, 05:52 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by CuNmUdF250
I know they don't offer 5/100 on power train because they don't have to but my god it just seems that if they did they could really crush Dodge and GM......when I bought the '13 warranty was a factor to the point that I considered the others but my Ford bias wouldn't allow it
Ford's power train warranty is my single biggest beef with Ford. I feel that it's out dated and arrogant. Ford feels that they are on par with the likes of Honda and Toyota (power train wise) and as such, they do not need to add the extra consumer protection for free.

I wholeheartedly disagree that they are on par with Honda and Toyota with respect to drive train quality and refinement.

Old 02-10-2015, 12:01 AM
j.grif
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I think Ford dealers make a ton of money on extended warranty's, If Ford did upgrade the warranty, dealers would be out a lot of profit, I think that there may be politics between the dealers and corporate that nixes any ideas of increasing warranty, also Ford's sales are pretty good and prices seem high on their cars and trucks, so no reason for Ford to offer it. Maybe the customer should put the onus on the dealers to seal the deal.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:30 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
^^^^^

Excellent post, reps sent.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:48 AM
soundwave
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by tseekins
Ford's power train warranty is my single biggest beef with Ford. I feel that it's out dated and arrogant. Ford feels that they are on par with the likes of Honda and Toyota (power train wise) and as such, they do not need to add the extra consumer protection for free.

I wholeheartedly disagree that they are on par with Honda and Toyota with respect to drive train quality and refinement.
5 years after I bought my '10, I am flooded weekly with calls asking me to buy buy an extended warrenty. The answer is always "no". I'm not sure where these call originate from but someone, ford or otherwise, is making a killing selling these.

That being said, I too wish ford would offer a longer warrenty with no extended cost at time of purchase. It would instill confidence in the consumer and I find that security invaluable.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:06 PM
johnkn
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Remember, the warranty comes with a cost, it's not free or magical. That applies to any warranty on any product. There is real money transferred between the Ford product lines on their P&L to accomidate any warranty.. You want a 100k bumper to bumper warranty, Ford could do it, however the price of the truck would change, and Ford has determined (right or wrong) that the MSRP/selling price vs current warranty is the sweet spot for them and we as consumers.

You could try to negociate your very best deal on the vehicle purchase, and when the dealer accepts it tell the dealer you sign provided they provide an extended warranty at no additional cost. Not as good as automatically coming with the warranty, but worth a try, and you might be apt to at least negociate for the best extended warranty pricing that way. My experience is that extended warranties have some degree of pricing flexibility. Good luck

Old 02-11-2015, 03:52 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by johnkn
Remember, the warranty comes with a cost, it's not free or magical. That applies to any warranty on any product. There is real money transferred between the Ford product lines on their P&L to accomidate any warranty.. You want a 100k bumper to bumper warranty, Ford could do it, however the price of the truck would change, and Ford has determined (right or wrong) that the MSRP/selling price vs current warranty is the sweet spot for them and we as consumers.

You could try to negociate your very best deal on the vehicle purchase, and when the dealer accepts it tell the dealer you sign provided they provide an extended warranty at no additional cost. Not as good as automatically coming with the warranty, but worth a try, and you might be apt to at least negociate for the best extended warranty pricing that way. My experience is that extended warranties have some degree of pricing flexibility. Good luck
GM and Chrysler offer 100K mile power train warranties and their vehicle are no more expensive than Ford. Granted, the power train warranty is somewhat limited but it's better than nothing.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:27 PM
johnkn
Tuned
Originally Posted by tseekins
GM and Chrysler offer 100K mile power train warranties and their vehicle are no more expensive than Ford. Granted, the power train warranty is somewhat limited but it's better than nothing.

But do you really want to drive a GM product?

Hyundia also offers a 100k warranty and many of their vehicles are no more expensive than Ford. It's not the ultimate end user cost by vehicle, it's the net margins by product line and as a company in general, and a longer warranty has an higher internal cost to Ford or any other auto manufacturer. I'm not suggesting that it wouldn't be nice to have a longer warranty on Fords, only that the $ for Ford to internally pay for and deliver a longer warranty has to come from somewhere. Ford and all manufacturers have a target margin they need to make in order to be successful, satisfy shareholders, and remain in business. In order to hit those margins and offer a longer warranty, 1) we give up something on the car, 2) manufacturing, marketing, or sales cost are reduced, or C) we pay more.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:07 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Why would you want a longer factory warranty? This is always added directly to the cost of the truck. You are far better off as a consumer to choose to extend it if you want. This is more so the case with trucks, where many are not primary drivers and keep low miles. If you need a longer warranty buy one, but don't make everyone pay for it. That's guaranteed profits for Ford. Just like companies that give "free maintenance" for a few years.... it sounds good on paper, but you're actually removing the option from the customer.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:29 PM
CuNmUdF250
Posting Guru
Ford trucks sell for more than the competitions which have longer warranty......they do it be because they can.....your not saving a dime buying a Ford truck because it only carries a 5yr 60k warranty......I'm a Ford guy but there's no way around that weak warranty

Old 02-12-2015, 10:12 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
The longer warranty is just part of marketing. Kia and Hyundai did it to help get market share. Heck, AMC did it back in the day. You give a strong warranty to make up for a weaker market share. But I guarantee you that there is a cost associated with every mile of warranty, and it's passed on to the customer in one way or another.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:38 PM
johnkn
Tuned
Not completely unlike the ads you hear about buying a house full of carpet and getting the installation for $1, the money comes from somewhere.

Rest assured that Ford has run the analytics and knows the exact internal cost of the current warranty, the cost of a number of potential extended warranties, and has made the decision that the current warranty is the sweet spot within this segment. The cost of a more robust warranty would have to be passed on to the consumer putting Ford at a pricing disadvantage which may not be overcome by the consumer appeal of a longer warranty.

While I've only owned a few dozen cars I've only purchased an extended warranty one time in my life 10 year ago on a new Viper, and only then because I had the selling dealer install a blower and the dealer would extend the warranty on the modified 800hp car. I felt in that situation it was money well spent, at least I slept better at night. Fortunately never needed it.

I'll be trading in my 2013 Expedition in on a new Platinum 2015 when it arrives in ~2 weeks. Wish me luck that it doesn't expire at 60,003 miles.

Old 02-13-2015, 04:38 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by johnkn
But do you really want to drive a GM product?

Hyundia also offers a 100k warranty and many of their vehicles are no more expensive than Ford. It's not the ultimate end user cost by vehicle, it's the net margins by product line and as a company in general, and a longer warranty has an higher internal cost to Ford or any other auto manufacturer. I'm not suggesting that it wouldn't be nice to have a longer warranty on Fords, only that the $ for Ford to internally pay for and deliver a longer warranty has to come from somewhere. Ford and all manufacturers have a target margin they need to make in order to be successful, satisfy shareholders, and remain in business. In order to hit those margins and offer a longer warranty, 1) we give up something on the car, 2) manufacturing, marketing, or sales cost are reduced, or C) we pay more.
No, I don't want to drive anything but a Ford but Ford is selling their products as expensive or more so than other brands with a stronger warranty program.

I'm not suggesting that Ford go all in and provide a 100K mile B2B warranty for no addition money, I'm merely stating that their power train warranty is weaker than other models in the same price point.

Hyundai and Kia are poor examples to use when comparing them to Ford. They have improved their overall quality exponentially, they actually do back their products and their products can be had for cheaper than the US branded vehicles when comparing equipment on entry level vehicles.

I will be looking heard at Hyundai for my next sedan purchase. Having said that, I just helped my daughter negotiate a nice deal on a 2015 Fusion. I tried to push towards a Hyundai dealer but she wanted to drive a ford like Dad.

Old 02-13-2015, 07:01 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
The Koreans rarely have impressive rebates. Just for kicks I just compared a Fusion to an Sonata on mid trim levels on TrueCar. Not only did Ford start lower, but the savings listed was thousands more. So if you want to buy more warranty then you can, if you prefer to keep the money then you can. Hyundai you have no choice.

Specifically on trucks.... Toyota and Nissan has the same as us for more money and less truck. Ram and GM have 100k powertrain, but only for 5 years. They are both lagging behind Ford badly in engineering and market share. Powertrain is one of the least expensive things to add, so it really is pure marketing. Both GM and Ram only offer 100k for 5 years. 60k covers 12k per year. 100k does 20k per year. When you actually consider how few people get an advantage, compared to putting that cost on everyone to cover it, the warranty won't be a factor for most people.

Quick Reply: Standard warranty on the 2015's