Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Remans: Rep or Rap?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 10:23 AM
Machinart
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So am I wrong for not calling out a company I had a bad experience with when I may be in the minority? Or should I be upset with all of the people that recommended them? I was just putting my experience out there and stating what I will do in the future.

Injector swaps are less than fun and even more taxing the second and third time within 5000 miles.

Old 02-08-2015, 10:25 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by tjc transport
...so you claim you had a bad experience, but will not name who it was with.
this reinforces what i said before.
It would be unfortunate if anybody got singled out here. Everybody on my list has a good reputation, and everybody on my list has had a fail that I personally know about... some of them were epic. Does anybody remember the Farmer craze? That all worked until he was inundated with tired injectors - and his rep unraveled.

Old 02-08-2015, 10:26 AM
montanasteve
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subscribing. I have a new set of AC's on the way, upgrading from the reman 175/0's, which have only been in for one year. I'll keep everyone updated on the progress, though it'll be a few weeks until I can get it done.

Old 02-08-2015, 10:28 AM
whitetmw
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"I've Heard"

"I've heard" and "they said" are nowhere. I've looked for them. Often, they end up being liars. If you see them, tell them I'm looking for them.

those videos mean nothing
Unless, your sending YOUR Money.

Old 02-08-2015, 10:35 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
i have heard nothing but good about Rosewood diesel... when the time comes for injectors in the spring, i plan on sending mine to him for reconditioning....
As I mentioned in the opening "salvo" - this gives you the best chance for success with remans, but it is not a lock. Many people don't want the truck parked with the VCs loosely placed on the heads for weeks at a time - so they buy sticks, receive 'em, swap 'em, and return the cores.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:10 AM
whitetmw
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You've got to more than rely on a forum or an advertisement.

Anytime I'm dropping my money on anything, I want to know:

How long have you been in business?
Will you still be in business when I need you?
What businesses do you supply?
How many units do you do?
What's your failure rate?
How many employee's do you have?
What's your turn over rate?
What's your Warranty?
Do you have references, customer comments, etc.?
What's your turn around time?
Who pays for return shipping?
What type of Q&A do you have?
Who are your biggest competitors?

ANY quality shop will not only answer these questions they'll send you the data in the mail or provide you a link to get it.

And, they'll never "try to make the sale" Their work speaks for itself.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:22 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
I witnessed the "Struggles of Stinky"....I gleaned from that, it was worth the $60/stick upcharge for new. So 160/30's from PIS...new AC's with 30% nozzles. I like them.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:28 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I've been here since 2006, and Rosewood was already here. It's not likely that you'll find a guy that's been rebuilding 7.3 injectors for 30 years, but, some companies have been around longer than others. I've had Swamps remans installed in 2 of my trucks, one was a 97, and they are still working great to the guy I traded it to a couple years ago. It has 150cc mini-swamps installed, and over 150,000 miles on them when I traded it. The other truck has swamps factory remans in a e99. They are the 140cc and not 120cc like factory. I put over 100,000 miles on them and they are still running strong. So, for me, I'm 2 for 2 with nothing but positive results with remans. This spring, I'm likely to go with remans in my 02. Just up in the air as to what size.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:48 AM
JT250
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
I agree with Tugly. I have put in 18 reman sticks. If/ when I have to more I am going to ask my builder if I can pay the upgrade to new. I have not ever been complete happy with them. Smokey, loud...etc.

Old 02-08-2015, 12:18 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,108 Likes on 2,168 Posts
Originally Posted by whitetmw
You've got to more than rely on a forum or an advertisement.

Anytime I'm dropping my money on anything, I want to know:

How long have you been in business?
Will you still be in business when I need you?
What businesses do you supply?
How many units do you do?
What's your failure rate?
How many employee's do you have?
What's your turn over rate?
What's your Warranty?
Do you have references, customer comments, etc.?
What's your turn around time?
Who pays for return shipping?
What type of Q&A do you have?
Who are your biggest competitors?

ANY quality shop will not only answer these questions they'll send you the data in the mail or provide you a link to get it.

And, they'll never "try to make the sale" Their work speaks for itself.
exactly what i was talking about.
but i don't care about the " biggest competitors". and i also don't care about bigger and better than stock.
that is the main reason i am going with Rosewood. i want equal to stock.
i have never heard of anyone having an issue with Jims work.

Old 02-08-2015, 02:54 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Something else to consider when replacing sticks. Tuning. Especially if you go from split shots to single shots, the single shots are typically louder. But, tuning can help with that. How many people follow the manufacturers recommendations when it comes to tuning with their reman sticks? Should that be a consideration? Just asking.

Old 02-08-2015, 06:43 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by CampSpringsJohn
Something else to consider when replacing sticks. Tuning. Especially if you go from split shots to single shots, the single shots are typically louder. But, tuning can help with that. How many people follow the manufacturers recommendations when it comes to tuning with their reman sticks? Should that be a consideration? Just asking.
I can speak from experience that tuning makes a big difference, I had different combinations of remans/new and tuners. The tuning played a huge factor in improving driving pleasure with remans, but the new sticks cleared the rest of the nonsense up.

I had a double-whammy when I first swapped sticks, but I didn't really know how miserable the experience was until everything was change out. How could I know before different variations of before and after with a Buck$Zooka barrage?

Old 02-08-2015, 07:29 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CampSpringsJohn
I've been here since 2006, and Rosewood was already here. It's not likely that you'll find a guy that's been rebuilding 7.3 injectors for 30 years, but, some companies have been around longer than others. I've had Swamps remans installed in 2 of my trucks, one was a 97, and they are still working great to the guy I traded it to a couple years ago. It has 150cc mini-swamps installed, and over 150,000 miles on them when I traded it. The other truck has swamps factory remans in a e99. They are the 140cc and not 120cc like factory. I put over 100,000 miles on them and they are still running strong. So, for me, I'm 2 for 2 with nothing but positive results with remans. This spring, I'm likely to go with remans in my 02. Just up in the air as to what size.
Similar experience for me as well. Swamps remained 175's in my F-250 since 2007. Running strong and wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

X2 on Jim at Rosewood. Him and Ryan Casserly (Full Force Diesel) have been doing this since the old Dieselstop days back in 2004/5ish period. They are both thankfully still in business.

Old 02-08-2015, 07:34 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by montanasteve
Subscribing. I have a new set of AC's on the way, upgrading from the reman 175/0's, which have only been in for one year. I'll keep everyone updated on the progress, though it'll be a few weeks until I can get it done.
That in itself is great advertisement for Johnathan, Dave and all the folks at Swamps Diesel. You've been running their injectors for almost a year and they still are willing to work with you!

Old 02-09-2015, 08:36 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by white Buffalo
Similar experience for me as well. Swamps remained 175's in my F-250 since 2007. Running strong and wouldn't hesitate to do it again....
Just playing devil's advocate with a friendly tone here - this is not counter to the point I was making. There was a much better reserve of cores 7-8 years ago. I don't think the fine works that the established rebuilders with reps has grown shoddy. I firmly believe the growing inventory of hyper-aged reman cores have outlived their expiration date.

Going OT to make a point: Commercial aircraft are to be removed from service in the US after 25 years on the airframe. This is not a rule whipped up by some bureaucratic entity - this was a hard-learned lesson after many NTSB reports. Is the FAA saying the planes can't be maintained or repaired? No. The rules are there because the whole airframe has had too much stress in a harsh environment to be trusted beyond a specific set of odds. The airframes are then sold to other countries with less-stringent guidelines, many of them South of our border. They still fly, and I've ridden in many of them - but some of them feel and sound weird in the air. I remember watching the fuselage flex in and out with turbulence on one particular ride. They need to stick a fork in that plane, it's done.

Using my quote "too much stress in a harsh environment to be trusted beyond a specific set of odds", consider a day in the life of an injector: You've got 60 PSI of fuel in your mouth, the cylinder compresses air on your head to between 400 and 1200 PSI, the IDM zaps you in the butt with 120 volts, the HPOP shoves between 500 and 3000 PSI of oil up your ***, your bowls intensify the fuel in your throat to as much as 21,000 PSI, shooting it out your ears and it explodes on your head - repeat, repeat, repeat.... 1000 times per minute at cruise for countless hours, this cycle goes on - then you eventually get pulled for some rejuvenation. Repeat the duty and rejuvenation cycle a couple of times, and I don't care what you're made of - you're gunna finally scream out "Enough already!"

We don't have an entity with engineers and scientists conducting forensics on our injector cores with electron microscopes - we have guys in driveways playing Whack-A-Mole on our time and dime. I'm one of those that has been in the carnival, and I am sharing what I learned from that experience, in conversations, and reading the different forums. A collection point for experiences of all the members is the closest we will ever get to anything like the NTSB.

Quick Reply: Remans: Rep or Rap?