1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**PLEASE, NEED HELP! MY TRUCK GOT STOLEN!**

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 09:39 PM
Chad149
Lead Driver
Received 507 Likes on 171 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
Probably will need a trans service and diagnostics.

Believe or not it maybe totaled.
Michigan does not automatically, like some states, put salvage titles on theft recoveries. Would have to have sufficient damage. I think the op has the option to take their vehicle back or take the check.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:56 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
I'm just amazed that somebody noticed a CL ad or whatever it was and you got it back. It was insured though, right? Depending on how much damage there is, and especially when any damage shows up, one wonders if you'd have come out ahead if it wasn't found. Hm.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:42 AM
bigredf350superduty
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tedster9
I'm just amazed that somebody noticed a CL ad or whatever it was and you got it back. It was insured though, right? Depending on how much damage there is, and especially when any damage shows up, one wonders if you'd have come out ahead if it wasn't found. Hm.
That thought did cross my mind on more than one occasion. Although this is the first time I've ever had something substantial stolen from me, everyday it's gone you're wondering "where could it be" that thought running through your mind 24/7 sucks! Believe me.

Insurance would've stuck it to me if it was never found, the truck was literally mint condition, but the way insurance companies look at it is what they are going for on the open market. We all know what the cherry ones are worth and we all know what the beat down rusted ones are worth, I didn't want to end up in the middle though. Now at least the adjuster can compare apples to apples, instead of taking my word (which they don't) on the condition.

As far as getting it back through placing an ad, I'm blown away too. It felt good to locate it.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:03 AM
Toyman
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Proper documentation and pictures really helps the adjuster be fair to both. There is always the option 'if' they decide it is going to be totaled to buy it back, the key is to make sure that they don't request the title to change it to salvage.

Fingers crossed that it all works out for the best for you! keep us up dated.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:41 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Right, insurance co. only pays the depreciated value. And their argument, is that's the only rate that we're paying. I get that. Remember he said the fluid looks burnt? What if the transmission goes out six months or a year from now? He can't just keep making claims. I would expect the insurance co. wants a one time deal and be done with it too.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:16 AM
the_croz
Freshman User
bigredf350superduty

Just a quick story, My buddy called me a few years ago and told me he went out to breakfast with the Wife one Friday (9am-11am) when he got back home someone had stolen his Weld Rig, 2001 F-450 Fully loaded w/ Lincoln SA-250 weld machine and "all" the tools. His Wife called the Napa, CA. PD and when they entered the VIN # it automatically popped up as having LOJACK which my buddy forgot he opted for when he bought it. The CHP located the truck within 1.5 hours (after activating the LOJACK) at an Oakland, Ca shop. The PD said when they arrived one of the workers had the weld machine hooked to a forklift and almost had it removed. Upon arriving the PD did say they saw a pickup truck leaving which they didn't stop and consequently had all of his grinders and hand tools which he didn't recover. After hearing this HORROR story I immediately called LOJACK and they came to my house and installed the unit ($750.00) Bam.. Done..! I already had the most up to date Viper alarm system. I’ve got about a buck 60 invested in my Rig and anything I can do to keep it where I last parked it is a good investment. I strongly recommend going to your most popular local Stereo shop
(not BestBuy, Frys etc) and have them install a Viper system of your feature choice from basic ($100-150) to the most advanced ($350-500) I know it only stops the petty criminals but it will still slow down the serious ones. The system my local shop installed is for the newer (2015) CANBUS systems and totally integrates with the factory system. I’m very happy you got your baby back. CROZ..

Old 02-07-2015, 11:53 AM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Get a ravelco. The only way for them to get the truck is to tow it. Combine that with lojack your beauty should be good. Glad to hear you got it fixed.

Old 02-07-2015, 01:09 PM
the_croz
Freshman User
The only reason I went with LOJACK is it is the only system that has a direct link to law Enforcement from way back then.. Guidepoint and the likes, you have to talk to they're operator and they in turn talk with the cops. Could be a privacy issue with law enforcement. The alarm system (regardless of brand) have higher end units that will even call your Cell phone if your vehicle is disturbed.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:42 AM
Trucker Kev
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would have recommended lo jack a few years ago too, but something happened to the relationship/contract between the lo jack people and law enforcement. I'm sure it's a money issue with the installation of the equipment in the patrol cars. None of the new CHP cars have the receivers any more. Look around at the ones you see. The lo jack receivers have 4 short (maybe 10") antennas arranged in a square or "X" pattern. It my be different in other areas, but in CA it's getting difficult to find a patrol car with the receiver equipment.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:55 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hope the OP gets his rig back soon!!!!

I wish that Ford would get with the program with Sync like GM has with OnStar.

A friend of my buddy left his Escalade running out in front of a bakery as he ran in to pickup a phone order. He no sooner paid for the goods and saw his truck speeding out of the driveway.
The cops were picking up coffee at Starbucks just next door. He ran in and told the cops what had just happened.
They first gave him the "what in the heck were you thinking in leaving the keys in the truck" speech. Then they got down to business.
They asked him if his truck had OnStar.
Yes.
They got in touch with dispatch and got OnStar on the line.
OnStar was able to help them pin-point the truck as it was moving. They got a cruiser dispatched to follow the truck and when the cruiser was in place, OnStar killed the ignition on the truck and the cops nailed the bad guy..
--
Well this was all as it was related to me at any rate..
If GM can do it, why can't Ford???

Old 02-27-2015, 06:38 PM
bigredf350superduty
New User
Well, here's my update!
The trans is shot, insurance wants to replace with "like kind" with similar mileage (220k) the adjuster has recommended a junk yard tranny?

He uses the term "betterment" a lot, way to go Farm Bureau! God forbid I have a trans that works like my trans did before it was stolen and abused! To this point, nothing has been done as far as repairs, very disappointing to say the least. As much as I wanted to find my truck after it had been stolen, I'm not so certain at this point if recovery was the best outcome for me?

Old 02-27-2015, 06:51 PM
Toyman
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
The only thing I can say to that is let them out it in. Then instantly start to complain about it not shifting the way it did or correctly. Stay on them.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:11 PM
bigredf350superduty
New User
Originally Posted by Toyman
The only thing I can say to that is let them out it in. Then instantly start to complain about it not shifting the way it did or correctly. Stay on them.
I hear you, I have no doubt it will be an issue. I've just never been one to replace anything with cheap or junk yard parts, it never works out in the long run.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:29 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
make them warranty it.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:11 PM
bigredf350superduty
New User
Originally Posted by senix
make them warranty it.
would they?