6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Disc brake caliper sticking on my 2011 F350

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 11:43 AM
Regulator29
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disc brake caliper sticking on my 2011 F350

Have 50,000 mile on my 2011 F350 6.7 and up until today the truck has been flawless. This is my weekend vehicle and sees very light duty hauling fishing gear to my boat (100 miles hwy) and pulling my 7x12 enclose trailer with goose decoys. On a couple of occasions pulling my 29 CC from marina to my home and back. Took truck in for oil change and tire rotation, service advisor informs me I have 2mm on rear brakes and 3mm on fronts. Not sure why rears have more wear than fronts. Schedule to have brakes done for today and now find out that front right caliper is sticky and they want to replace both front calipers. I cannot believe that a 2011 SD F350 with 50,000 miles and of that mostly highway needs brakes let a lone calipers are going bad. Service manger tried to tell me that brake fluid should be replaced every 2 years, to which I responded that I have Ford perform all scheduled maintenance. He went on to say that this is not scheduled maintenance, wtf bs is he telling me, if it is necessary then it would be scheduled maintenance. Truck gave zero indication of stuck caliper, no sound and no excessive brake dust on wheel.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:52 AM
BlackBeest
More Turbo
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
I hate to "side with the dealer" here, but he may not be making that bit about sticking calipers up.....

My truck at 89k miles was due to replace rears, fronts went another 11k, original pads never changed. As for the rears wearing like they are, I chalk it up to increased ABS technology and other computer improvements that allow for more rear brake bias to be dialed in, take some of the load off the fronts only doing all the work.

There was a member here that typed up just the other day he had almost 200k highway miles on his original brake pads. They are, by all accounts, an excellent product for the application.

For yours to be worn down like that at such a low mileage (and highway miles as you indicated) sure would seem like something's up.

Now, it's a *****ty deal that Ford probably won't step up and look into "fixing" this for you, they'll say it's over the 36k and you're on your own, but knowing what I know about my truck and having read others here, I think you've got grounds for a case escalation. Reach out to Crystal and see if she can help.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:04 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Besides the possibilty of sticky guide pins it is also recommended to flush the brake fluid every 2 to 3 years. Brake fluid is hygroscopic and absorbs moisture. You could have sticking caliper pucks. You could get a rebuild kit for the calipers if you want to do it yourself. The dealer installs new ones to reduce labor cost and for liability reasons.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:24 PM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The rear pads actually hang up and drag with the slightest bit of rust forming on the caliper or the pad. When I installed new pads at +/-65,000 miles, I ground the ear on the pads slightly to give them enough clearance to prevent this problem. If you had a caliper hanging, you would know it in short order. I replaced the front pads not far behind the rears and they were pretty tight in the caliper as well. We'll see what happens to the current set of pads after I have taken preventative measures against the problem.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:57 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,566 Likes on 731 Posts
My front calipers stuck and I ended up replacing front rotor around 70,000 miles if I remember right. So yes it's a common repair.

But it's better than my 2000 F-350 that needed pads and rotors turned every 35,000 miles. They have definitely improved the brakes. Mainly in 2005 when they stepped up to the bigger rotors.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:36 PM
Regulator29
Freshman User
Reached out to Ford customer support to escalate my concerns on the life span of the disc calipers on my 2011 F350 Ps 6.7. Felt that I was heard and person said they would contact service manager to get their view. I was opmistic after the call. Picked up my truck and had a rather bizarre confertation with the mechanic and service manager, was told that Newark,DE was a rather harsh place and puts stress on the truck, guessing they mean stop and go traffic, then it was that I don't drive the truck daily, then it was that it had mud underneath from driving in the farm field pulling decoy trailer to the goose pit. So much for truck tuff job 1 ... Guess Ford has final say, if I'm impressed or questioning my decision on the company I did business with. Local Ford dealer has yet to speak with Ford customer support and I paid the repair bill which was $1249.61 before they discounted $185.46 or the cost of one of the two calipers they replaced.

69CJ - First car I purchased was a #s matching 69 Mach 1 with 428 SCJ C6 med Aqua blue with shaker hood, super clean car that I sold for $3,200 back in 1979. Wish I could go back in time for a " do over".

Old 01-26-2015, 10:58 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Regulator29
Reached out to Ford customer support to escalate my concerns on the life span of the disc calipers on my 2011 F350 Ps 6.7. Felt that I was heard and person said they would contact service manager to get their view. I was opmistic after the call. Picked up my truck and had a rather bizarre confertation with the mechanic and service manager, was told that Newark,DE was a rather harsh place and puts stress on the truck, guessing they mean stop and go traffic, then it was that I don't drive the truck daily, then it was that it had mud underneath from driving in the farm field pulling decoy trailer to the goose pit. So much for truck tuff job 1 ... Guess Ford has final say, if I'm impressed or questioning my decision on the company I did business with. Local Ford dealer has yet to speak with Ford customer support and I paid the repair bill which was $1249.61 before they discounted $185.46 or the cost of one of the two calipers they replaced.

69CJ - First car I purchased was a #s matching 69 Mach 1 with 428 SCJ C6 med Aqua blue with shaker hood, super clean car that I sold for $3,200 back in 1979. Wish I could go back in time for a " do over".
My car is #'s matching and I'm the original owner. Bought while in Nam.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:21 AM
Regulator29
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 69cj
My car is #'s matching and I'm the original owner. Bought while in Nam.
Original owner, that is awesome and makes your CJ a bit more valuable.
And thank you for your service!!!!

Old 01-27-2015, 02:16 PM
FORD-DNA
Senior User
I have a good friend that is a ford mechanic. This past Saturday, he and I attempted to change the brake pads for the FIRST time at 85k on the odometer. The REAR pads def have worn quicker then the front, which seems to be normal from my gatherings on various Powerstroke forums. I also had a issue with front passenger side caliper. Unfortunately the dealership didn't have any calipers in stock so we plan on changing the caliper this coming weekend.

Not sure if it's common or a trend, but I have read about calipers having problems more then a few times.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:43 PM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts
I got news for you friend. My 08 had calipers stick at 22k and then rear ones at 36k Same for this 2011...Front stuck at 25k Rears stuck at 48 k ...
Just the way it is and the service got an earful for nothing but he's used to it I bet.
The pins were fine. It's the design of the twin pistons and the way the ears mount and slide and rust on the caliper. They have changed design in recent years..
Get used to it. It will happen again if you keep the truck. This is the fact's from both issues with my 2008 F350 and now this one. Both bought brand new.

Old 01-27-2015, 04:15 PM
Regulator29
Freshman User
As I said its in Ford's court if they want to retain me as a customer. I have to buy vehicles, but I do not have to buy them from Ford ... I have purchased more Fords then I care to remember and had no plans on changing my loyalties, but no way will I buy a vehicle that I can expect to pay $1200 for brake service every 50,000 miles.

Old 01-27-2015, 04:30 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Y'all have got me ready to tear down my 2015 brakes and check them out. With only 14,500 on the truck I'd like to see how they are starting to wear.

I have noticed a couple things though, compared to the 2011 truck I had:

1) I haven't seen so much brake dust since I drove a 1991 BMW 325i as a daily driver. Only takes two days to have the dark rusty dusty wheels.

2) my fronts tends to squeak, gets worse as they get hotter.

On the 2011 truck I had I installed slotted rotors in the front and also got some softer grippy pads to help gain some stopping power over stock. I will say this, the 2015 does have good stopping power as is but maybe I was spoiled with the slotted rotors I had on my old truck.

Old 01-27-2015, 04:53 PM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts
A mechanic here posted a while back when I had my first caliper issues that all the brands did it. It depended on roads and driving habits.. I've had other brands that did it too.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:12 PM
Regulator29
Freshman User
Originally Posted by capt caper
A mechanic here posted a while back when I had my first caliper issues that all the brands did it. It depended on roads and driving habits.. I've had other brands that did it too.
Why not design and or quality control, been driving the same roads here in Newark, DE for over 30 years and this is the first caliper I've had to replace (well pay Ford to replace)

Old 01-28-2015, 12:10 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Regulator29
Why not design and or quality control, been driving the same roads here in Newark, DE for over 30 years and this is the first caliper I've had to replace (well pay Ford to replace)
FYI, I had my 2005 F-250 for ten years and never once had a brake problem.

Quick Reply: Disc brake caliper sticking on my 2011 F350