Sponsored by: DP Tuner

4x4 Go BOOM!!!!!! 4x4 Owners Read!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 05:48 PM
SARDiverDan
Cargo Master
Received 415 Likes on 237 Posts
Originally Posted by hydro man 17
I guess my question at this point is how does one determine what is in the transfer case if it is an unknown. In my case I don't know that the fluid has ever been changed since new. The obvious solution is to just change it out, but I was wondering if an analysis by someone like Blackstone be worth the expense and effort?

I would just change out the fluid if you don't currently know what is in there. You could spend the extra time and money to get the fluid analyzed but if you just change out the fluid its done and over with. I know some folks that never change the fluid and I also know some that change it out every 20k. I think it all depends on how much you use it. It only takes 5-10 minutes to change it.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:19 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
Very interesting thread, I appreciate all of the detailed responses. I have a tough time believing that Mercon V is the cause of the failures. Seems extremely far fetched to me that an insurance company is going to go through the trouble to test the fluid in a transfer case. Even more far fetched that their supposed analysis determined the fluid was completely incompatible.

How the hell would this lab know what's compatible without reverse engineering the entire case?
I agree none of it makes sense, but based on the explanation given by the Ford hotline, it still doesn't make any sense. Sure it's a nice, kinda direct answer to the questions, but it's all just a prepared response.

Why would Ford write on all the bottles not for use in transfer cases unless it was important? It's certainly not because the additives in Mercon V just make that fluid too expensive for the couple of quarts it would take.

The only reason a company puts a warning on a product is to either reduce liability by getting out ahead of those who would use the product wrong, or as a direct result of a loss, usually tied to litigation.

Old 01-28-2015, 01:15 AM
retiredsparky
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Chris, your analysis of the behind the scenes meetings and cost/benefits/bad pr/no pr makes the most sense. Company managers overrule engineers frequently until the lawyers weigh in with their opinion. Those of us with unknown fluid or Mercon V would be wise to spend the few bucks to change out the fluid. It could save a future repair down the road. After all, transmissions and transfer cases are not even close to the same animal in terms of types of forces, wear, fluid dynamics etc.

Old 01-28-2015, 04:25 AM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another blown TC that was posted on the super duty & heavy duty side.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...my-t-case.html

Old 01-28-2015, 07:14 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
I put Amsoil ATF into my transfer case after purchasing the truck. Based on what is posted on the Amsoil site, I believe those of us using Amsoil or another 3rd party lubricant that satisfies MERCON rating should be OK. Does this sound right?

Here is the lubricant rating taken directly from the AMSOIL site.

AMSOIL Signature Series Multi-Vehicle Synthetic ATF is recommended for transmissions, hydraulics, power steering systems and other applications that require any of the following specifications: Ford MERCON®, MERCON® V, ESP-M2C166-H

Old 01-28-2015, 07:43 AM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
I put Amsoil ATF into my transfer case after purchasing the truck. Based on what is posted on the Amsoil site, I believe those of us using Amsoil or another 3rd party lubricant that satisfies MERCON rating should be OK. Does this sound right?

Here is the lubricant rating taken directly from the AMSOIL site.

AMSOIL Signature Series Multi-Vehicle Synthetic ATF is recommended for transmissions, hydraulics, power steering systems and other applications that require any of the following specifications: Ford MERCON®, MERCON® V, ESP-M2C166-H
I'm also running Amsoil and sticking with it. If you are worried about it, pull a sample.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:07 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
Originally Posted by HD Rider
I'm also running Amsoil and sticking with it. If you are worried about it, pull a sample.
I plan to stick with Amsoil, but did not mind having peace of mind as well. Although, I was attempting to answer the question for all of the others that have used a 3rd party lubricant, be it Mobil, penzoil, etc...

Old 01-28-2015, 08:57 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by whitetmw
I noticed the Tech's youtube channel is now private. Hope he didn't get in any trouble over this whole thing. Wasn't my intention.
All of his video's seem to be private now. I had saved the links to some very informative ones that I wished to access for future reference for my other Fords as well. It looks like "the plug has been pulled". I can't access any of them.

Old 01-30-2015, 04:15 PM
whitetmw
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, The plot thickens. My 6 Year Old was home sick today so we did some running around. On the way, I picked up an Oil Filter and went to Jiffy Lube where one of my friends work (he charges me half price $40 for Rotella 15-40).

So, I mention the fluid changes by Ford for the Transaxle. He says Yup, we been doing it for about a year. We got an bulletin from corporate. I say can I see the it? He says sure, we go in and pull up their bulletins from their corporate office and it says:

Discontinue the use of MERCON-V additive in all Ford Transfer Cases. Refer the customer to Ford (Motorcraft Part Number XL-12 Transfer Case Fluid). That was March 2013. DO NOT SUBSTITUTE AT THIS TIME.

Reference communication XXXXXXX, Inform Customers of the new requirements (it is now added to computer base archives for Ford Vehicles), Inform the customer you will be using Dexron II/III Equivalent Base Stock until delivery of Motorcraft XL-12 or equivalent. July 2013

We looked up my truck and it said ATTENTION IN RED LETTERS followed by: XL-12. So they updated their database.

The last communications was November 2013 stating a stock code for Jiffy Lube for ordering and will become available in early 2014.

So, while I had dismissed this, I went a head and had him change it too while I was there for $20.00

Better safe than sorry I guess.

He said he had heard nothing about the issue other than the fluid change. However, the first communication was marked "URGENT".

Old 01-30-2015, 09:40 PM
mattymax
Fleet Mechanic
Received 84 Likes on 46 Posts
I am sticking with Amsoil. I plow with the truck so I plan on changing it out yearly. Only takes a few qts and a few minutes.

Matt

Old 01-31-2015, 06:50 AM
jetdoc
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by scotttahoe
Another blown TC that was posted on the super duty & heavy duty side.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...my-t-case.html
Why would you run 65 mph with the hubs locked in?

Old 01-31-2015, 09:21 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jetdoc
I have many passes over 65 mph while at the track and suffered no transfer case/hub damage. Guess I was lucky.
I used only Dexron III/Mercon in both my transfer case and transmission until I switched to Mobil1 Synthetic Multi Vehicle formula several years ago.
Over 200k miles on the OEM hubs and transfer case without even so much as a seal change.

Old 01-31-2015, 09:56 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by jetdoc
While I certainly don't make it a habit to do that, I have done it before. I will lock the hubs in when it's snowing so I don't have to stop and get out in case I need the 4x4. And there are times I forget to unlock them. I know guys that leave the hubs locked in all winter.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:02 AM
jetdoc
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by mueckster
I have many passes over 65 mph while at the track and suffered no transfer case/hub damage. Guess I was lucky.
I used only Dexron III/Mercon in both my transfer case and transmission until I switched to Mobil1 Synthetic Multi Vehicle formula several years ago.
Over 200k miles on the OEM hubs and transfer case without even so much as a seal change.

I fought with my stock hubs for years. They would workfine(ie sunny warm afternoon) until I needed them to work( cold snowy airport at midnight). I always had to get out and rotate the axle shaft to get them to engage or release. It seems to me that these failures point to something binding in the front axle and the aluminum case is the weak link in the chain that takes impact. I could be wrong but
I doubt fluid type has much to do with this. Just for the record, I run Mobil 1 in mine as well. Change it out every spring, whether it needs it or not!

Old 01-31-2015, 10:08 AM
jetdoc
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by CampSpringsJohn
While I certainly don't make it a habit to do that, I have done it before. I will lock the hubs in when it's snowing so I don't have to stop and get out in case I need the 4x4. And there are times I forget to unlock them. I know guys that leave the hubs locked in all winter.

A weird habit of mine is to look at the front axle shaft u joint spin on oncoming superdutys in traffic. Im not sure on just how much is parasitic drag or hubs that stuck with the owners that are unaware. The first thing I look at on these trucks for a report of poor MPG is a stuck front hub. Very common failure.

Quick Reply: 4x4 Go BOOM!!!!!! 4x4 Owners Read!