6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Recall 2011-2014 F250-F550 6.7L 14E03

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 08:30 AM
MPD56
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You should always get paper work, this way it is always registered with Ford under your Vin. The procedure takes less then an hour and Ford allows .7 hours for the dealer to do it.
They flash the PCM and TCM, they have to shut off the radio and other things when doing the flash. They don't (shouldn't have) programed any of the audio modules, I assume that they just hit the AM button while shutting off the radio?
I'm not sure if there is a way to check the version of software on your vehicle but there is an "Engineering Mode" procedure that might tell? I'm assuming that for the dealer to get paid they have to submit the paper work to Ford, so most likely they registered it.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:26 PM
SultanGris
Elder User
Originally Posted by marcusu
Does anyone know how to tell if the new flash was actually installed. I had my 2014 in yesterday for this. They said it would be done in under an hour. I didn't stay, and went to get coffee with a buddy instead. When I got back under an hour later, the truck was out by the curb, and the service guy said "You're all set" and sent me on my way with no paperwork at all. All the trip milages/fuel economy memory/settings are the same was before I dropped it off. The only thing that seemed to be changed was the Radio was set to AM static on 87.1 I think. Is there a way to pull up what software is installed and double check? Should I have gotten the letter back or some other proof incase I end up moving to a state that requires proof (California/Maryland). I've had suspicious dealings with this particular service department before on my wifes Ford Flex, which is why I ask.
If the message saying it's in regen stays on longer than half a second it's been flashed. Honestly it should only take about 10-20 min to flash it if they aren't dinking around.

Old 05-19-2015, 10:23 AM
Traveling Man
Senior User
The fuel mileage on my 2012 tanked after the reflash. I was averaging around 18 and now I barely get 15. Another disappointment.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:36 AM
frt2599
Senior User
Originally Posted by marcusu
Does anyone know how to tell if the new flash was actually installed. I had my 2014 in yesterday for this. They said it would be done in under an hour. I didn't stay, and went to get coffee with a buddy instead. When I got back under an hour later, the truck was out by the curb, and the service guy said "You're all set" and sent me on my way with no paperwork at all. All the trip milages/fuel economy memory/settings are the same was before I dropped it off. The only thing that seemed to be changed was the Radio was set to AM static on 87.1 I think. Is there a way to pull up what software is installed and double check? Should I have gotten the letter back or some other proof incase I end up moving to a state that requires proof (California/Maryland). I've had suspicious dealings with this particular service department before on my wifes Ford Flex, which is why I ask.
If you had to toggle the manual shift switch to get the gear indicator back on it's an indicator the TCM was flashed

Old 05-26-2015, 12:29 PM
429martin
Senior User
I keep track of mine after every fill up just to know what mileage I am getting and see where the sweet spot is on the best MPG. I have 13,700 miles on mine now and it shows 15.9 MPG average mostly highway and no towing. I get 15 around town while feathering the peddle. I have no intention of taking my truck in for the recall since I am happy with it and I have no problems.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:38 PM
rtazz17
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok Ive read almost all these posts on reflash.Im getting it done tomorrow.I read in beginning of thread people said this flash stopped the shutdown from the exhaust sensor failures.Then toward the middle of thread it was stated it was unknown if this actually did anything to that at all.Anyone know if it did take care of it? Really that was the only reason I was going in for the reflash.

Old 05-26-2015, 05:08 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by rtazz17
Ok Ive read almost all these posts on reflash.Im getting it done tomorrow.I read in beginning of thread people said this flash stopped the shutdown from the exhaust sensor failures.Then toward the middle of thread it was stated it was unknown if this actually did anything to that at all.Anyone know if it did take care of it? Really that was the only reason I was going in for the reflash.
we have not had any definite info either way. I haven't seen a report here of anyone WITH a shutdown since their recall flash..

Old 05-26-2015, 07:12 PM
rtazz17
Fleet Mechanic

Originally Posted by sdetweil
we have not had any definite info either way. I haven't seen a report here of anyone WITH a shutdown since their recall flash..
Well thats hopeful anyways.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:51 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Currently, we can only assume the truck will continue to shut down when a high temp issue is reported by a sensor since Ford hasn't said this new firmware would modify that. I think they did other things to try and reduce the chance of failure, such as shorter but more frequent regenerations.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:47 AM
rtazz17
Fleet Mechanic

Ok thanks.....

Just got done with the recall.30 min in and out..I dont notice a thing different with it but its only been 50 miles... Ill take it easy on it for a while since I guess its going to relearn my driving habits..I liked how it was before recall and shift points seem the same now,no banging into gear as I read some members state in this thread.Alls good!

Old 05-29-2015, 02:04 PM
Olds69442
Mountain Pass
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
I had my flash done today. Tranny felt different leaving the parking lot. Little clunk on the downshifts. Will post any other notable differences.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:14 PM
Firekite
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It was finally time for an oil change, so while I was at the dealership I had them do the recall flash. No noticeable differences anywhere, other than I had to hit the + button on the shifter to get the forward gear display back. The only thing that was awry was the outside temp sensor was reading 50F when in reality it was in the mid 80's. Service adviser asked his shop foreman who asked what had been done to the truck, and when he heard about the recall flash he said yeah, EVERYTHING gets touched in that flash. They've seen the DEF level issue, for example, but can't remember seeing the exterior temp sensor acting up. After a few miles on the road it seemed to get back up to real temp and read properly anyway.

Service adviser said he was told the flash changed how they did regens to help increase efficiency and EGT sensor life spans. Interestingly, I got a letter in the mail yesterday from Ford saying they're providing a complimentary extension to the original factory warranty to cover EGT sensors for 8 years or 80k miles.

Did anyone else get that letter?

EDIT: Yep, of course there's already a thread on that: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...t-sensors.html

Old 06-02-2015, 09:52 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Olds69442
I had my flash done today. Tranny felt different leaving the parking lot. Little clunk on the downshifts. Will post any other notable differences.
Yes, the flash reset the tranny tables, so its in relearn mode again.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:53 PM
56huck
New User
"Pull over safely"

We're vacationing in Canada with our 2012 F250 with a cab over camper and just over 50k miles. I have not had the recall work done as it's been running fine and I'm concerned about the decreased fuel mileage reported here
Yesterday I got the dreaded "pull over safely" flashing dash notice, and did so (not easy in the Canadian Rockies - not a lot of shoulders). The engine shut down right before I stopped. We looked in the owners manual for guidance on what the problem might be - we didn't find anything. We had cell service so we searched the nearest Ford dealer and called. Luckily the service dept was open on Saturday. The service manager said it was likely an egt sensor and there's also a recall to address this issue. He said he has the egt sensor in stock an can replace it first thing Monday.. He said to let the truck sit for an hour or so to cool down and it should start up and then drive into the town he's in (about 20-miles away). He was right and we drove into town and got a camping spot. We'll be at the dealership when they open in the AM to get the egt sensor replaced (assuming that's the issue) and the recall re flash done.

Old 06-14-2015, 11:26 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Very few have reported mpg loss so I wouldn't worry about that. You also don't have a 2011 which seems to be the factor in lower mpg. That sensor replacement should be quick and it'll be worth the time to have them update the firmware since they'll already have IDS connected.

I have had a severe drop in mpg but I'll never know why. I'm getting high 11's to low 12's now empty. I can't remember a time I even hit 11 mpg towing. I wouldn't hesitate to get it again if I had a newer year truck though.

Quick Reply: Recall 2011-2014 F250-F550 6.7L 14E03