1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Radio with Cassette

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 12:23 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
Radio with Cassette

How do you eject the tapes on these radios?

I bought an owners manual but its not in the truck and I cant find it but I got some cheap tapes I got off ebay to see if it works before I use my old tapes but there is no eject button and not sure how you eject.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:38 PM
SVTDriver97
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Got a picture we can go off of?

There's a few different models of cassette players in these trucks, need to know which one you have.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:44 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver

Sure, this is the one I have. Not original to the truck but it is correct for the truck.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:49 PM
SVTDriver97
More Turbo
Hmm, that's a tough one, especially if it's not stock.

Have you tried pushing everything? Because with these, or something similar to them, I recall having to push both the rewind and fast forward buttons at the same time to eject it. That, or, pushing either the left or right **** in.

If none of those work, I would try to push in on the tape to see if that releases it. I know some old tape decks used to work that way, kinda like with some VCR's too.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:50 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
this one here only has one button you slide it to the left or right for Rev or Fwd and press straight in for play. Not sure as I haven't tried putting a tape in yet, the USPS hasn't came yet so I don't have the cheap tapes I got off ebay to try it. Don't want to try some of mine as they were hard to find when they were new and have them destroyed by a tape player that might not even work.

But I got this from a radio shop that claimed it was rebuilt.

Old 01-20-2015, 01:20 PM
bcamill
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When you push the play button straight in, the cassette should eject. It is the same radio that I have and that is how mine works. If it does not work, then it is broken.

Old 01-20-2015, 01:24 PM
SVTDriver97
More Turbo
That's a good idea to use a junk cassettes, don't want to mess up the classics

Old 01-20-2015, 01:55 PM
biggamehunter222
Freshman User
Fwd/Rwd Buttons

I'm pretty sure when you insert the tape the fwd/rwd buttons push out a little bit and you push them in to pop the tape back out

Old 01-20-2015, 04:54 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,683 Likes on 1,359 Posts
Get one of those cassette adapters with the wire coming out of it. It can plug into anything with a earphone jack, like one of those walkman cd players or a mp3 player. You will be surprised how good one of those adapter things sound, I was.

Old 01-20-2015, 05:22 PM
Old Hickory
Laughing Gas
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Just push both buttons on the "rev, play fws" buttons and it will eject. It will also eject
if you turn the key off. At least that is how mine works and it looks just like yours.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:33 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by biggamehunter222
I'm pretty sure when you insert the tape the fwd/rwd buttons push out a little bit and you push them in to pop the tape back out
This is how I remember it, too - those buttons come out another, I dunno, another quarter or half inch or so when the tape is inserted.

If it was rebuilt, there's a pretty good chance in my eyes it will work (they should have replaced the dry-rotted drive belt).

Old 01-20-2015, 07:56 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
I guess its not rebuilt. Unless sitting on the shelf caused it to mess up. The Rev/Play/Fwd button does not pop out anyfurther when you put the tape in. The tape is kind of hard to insert but it does start to play and after about 2 seconds it pops out and stops playing.

It appears that the farther in reel is not spinning resulting in the tape bunching up and causing an auto eject.

So it looks like I will be pulling the radio out and taking it back to that place and pay them to go through it. One thing I know is the volume **** theres a spot where when you hit it the volume does not change then it starts changing again after 1/8 turn further. Then the pushbuttons don't work, I recall they worked when I got it but now they don't. Then theres this tape issue, I want this radio to atleast function like it did when new.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:25 PM
FordPUMan
Senior User
Originally Posted by Franklin2
Get one of those cassette adapters with the wire coming out of it. It can plug into anything with a earphone jack, like one of those walkman cd players or a mp3 player. You will be surprised how good one of those adapter things sound, I was.

I have one and was surprised too.

Old 01-21-2015, 05:21 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,683 Likes on 1,359 Posts
Originally Posted by Rusty_S
I guess its not rebuilt. Unless sitting on the shelf caused it to mess up. The Rev/Play/Fwd button does not pop out anyfurther when you put the tape in. The tape is kind of hard to insert but it does start to play and after about 2 seconds it pops out and stops playing.

It appears that the farther in reel is not spinning resulting in the tape bunching up and causing an auto eject.

So it looks like I will be pulling the radio out and taking it back to that place and pay them to go through it. One thing I know is the volume **** theres a spot where when you hit it the volume does not change then it starts changing again after 1/8 turn further. Then the pushbuttons don't work, I recall they worked when I got it but now they don't. Then theres this tape issue, I want this radio to atleast function like it did when new.
If you have to pay someone else to fix it, you are going to have a lot of money in that old radio. I would cut my losses and get a newer radio, but if having a original radio is that important to you, then good luck.

This one is only around $32.00 and has all I need. It has the aux input on the front to accept all types of players. http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...6MUA-/60-10315

Old 01-21-2015, 05:29 PM
maytag906
Posting Guru

I've got the same radio in my 84. On mine, you push both buttons with the arrows on them, to eject a cassette. The cassette player on mine doesn't work, it will start to play, and then stop. Eject the cassette, and sometimes the radio comes on, sometimes not.

One question I have, on mine, you can push the volume **** in, what does that do?

Quick Reply: Radio with Cassette