Sponsored by: Moser

Cheap Paint Job

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 03:29 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Cool. I guess she's a "keeper", eh?

The question to be answered is will that compressor provide the required CFM of what ever paint gun(s) that will be used. Things still needed.. hoses, couplers, Teflon tape, and an inline water separator/filter.

Back in the day there was a company that made one to use rolls of toilet paper as the absorbent material. Btw, there are different variants of air fittings... they all look like they would work together but sometimes they don't... pick one carefully because it's basically a lifelong commitment.

Finally, Eastwood offers a "concours" paint gun set that might be of consideration.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:28 PM
GaRedneck91
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
Cool. I guess she's a "keeper", eh?

The question to be answered is will that compressor provide the required CFM of what ever paint gun(s) that will be used. Things still needed.. hoses, couplers, Teflon tape, and an inline water separator/filter.

Back in the day there was a company that made one to use rolls of toilet paper as the absorbent material. Btw, there are different variants of air fittings... they all look like they would work together but sometimes they don't... pick one carefully because it's basically a lifelong commitment.

Finally, Eastwood offers a "concours" paint gun set that might be of consideration.
Yeah she a keeper for sure. Hey HIO I I found a cheaper gun that is right at what I need I think. What yall think? Here's the gun and air compressor specs.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:37 PM
77_f250_custom
Senior User
Nice! Are you on the facebook page for our trucks as well? I think I saw a post saying someone's wife had bought them a compressor like this

Old 01-22-2015, 06:59 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
That's the same gun I used to shoot my MTD tractor back on page 1. Use the coupon and that gun is only $10.

Btw, build/fab a gun holder for it cuz it's a pain the azz to keep it propped up!

Old 01-22-2015, 07:03 PM
GaRedneck91
Senior User
Originally Posted by 77_f250_custom
Nice! Are you on the facebook page for our trucks as well? I think I saw a post saying someone's wife had bought them a compressor like this
I am on a few of the facebook pages but yeah that's prolly me.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:09 PM
GaRedneck91
Senior User
That's the same gun I used to shoot my MTD tractor back on page 1. Use the coupon and that gun is only $10.

Btw, build/fab a gun holder for it cuz it's a pain the azz to keep it propped up!
Good Deal. Thanks for the info on the coupon. So now I'm planin on usin that gun. I'm gettin closer and closer to paint and my money spent is goin up and up.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:36 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by GaRedneck91
Good Deal. Thanks for the info on the coupon. So now I'm planin on usin that gun. I'm gettin closer and closer to paint and my money spent is goin up and up.
Welcome to "The Club".

The next thing ya know....
  • You have two MIG welders because it's too much effort to change wire diameter.
  • Every vehicle you see is a potential parts donor.
  • Window shopping consists of walking every row in the salvage yard.
  • Doodles in the margins of paperwork is truck-related.
  • Living spaces in your home have parts stashed away in them.
  • There's a stack of truck-related magazines on the toilet tank.
  • You've evolved (devolved?) into a Harbor Freight commando.
  • The guys at Autozone know you by name AND know what project you're working on.

Hehehehehehe :

Old 01-23-2015, 10:30 AM
GaRedneck91
Senior User
Welcome to "The Club".

• You have two MIG welders because it's too much effort to change wire diameter.
  • The guys at Autozone know you by name AND know what project you're working on.

Hehehehehehe :
That's great HIO. Goin by that list I guess in I am part of "The Club". I went and spent another 40 bucks today on my paint gun and other supplys. I still have more to get I know.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:32 AM
GaRedneck91
Senior User
Here's what I bought today.

Old 01-23-2015, 03:25 PM
Aaron-71
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Welcome to "The Club".

Hehehehehehe :
Subscribed for reference and progress (Also a novice/non-painter).

Nice list HIO, I've definitely got a few of those things checked off.

Great progress on your build tho! Try to enjoy the prep work before paint.

Old 02-20-2015, 07:13 PM
GaRedneck91
Senior User
Update

It's been a while since a update. Not much has changed I've been just sandin and sandin as much as I can but I'm gettin somewhere I think. The bed is in rough shape I wish I could find a new one for cheap but for now I'm just gonna do what I can with it (bondo) and hope for the best. I'm almost completely done with the cab but I still got some work to do on the bed. I believe I will be buying eastwood' s urethane primer surfacer to cover the truck and a can of the epoxy primer to put on my bondo and bare metal spots. I'm really gonna try to finish sanding this weekend and hopefully this week get everything masked up. I really want to get this girl primered. Here's some pictures I took tonight and of the bed that's ate up with cancer.

Bondo

Hopefully my truck will turn out lookin similar to this

Old 02-20-2015, 07:42 PM
GaRedneck91
Senior User
At least that's my game plan for now but It could change. I'm ponderin on spraying the entire truck with epoxy then surfacer then paint. Just gonna cost a little more.

Old 02-20-2015, 07:44 PM
51fordf5
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice work and cool truck. It can be a real pain in the butt doing body work. That HF gun... I wouldn't use it for any real nice paint, but I have one and used it as my primer gun and to shoot paint I don't really care about that much. Should work fine though.

For the water separator... You might want to look at picking up one of these to put on the outlet of your air compressor. Just an added way to ensure you don't get water spraying with your paint.

Shop Kobalt 3/8-in Air Filter at Lowes.com

You might want a mask too, when I was shooting paint on my truck, I was sure glad I had it. It was urethane, but still. Not sure if you chose a primer/paint yet, but I can vouch for eastwood's epoxy as a base and ppg omni polyester primer. Got my actual paint from a guy on ebay who custom mixes ppg paint. With all the hardners, I'd say I have like $400 into my paint job. It was my first paint job, and yours will turn out pretty good if you take your time with it. Keep it up!

Old 02-20-2015, 07:45 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Wow... those are hecka big pits... in fact, they're craters!

Unless all the rust is removed or neutralized, it'll flake, bubble, and lift the filler. It might be good for a couple of years before it rears its ugly head again... 'might as well skim coat the entire panel and block sand your azz off.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:09 PM
GaRedneck91
Senior User
Wow... those are hecka big pits... in fact, they're craters!

Unless all the rust is removed or neutralized, it'll flake, bubble, and lift the filler. It might be good for a couple of years before it rears its ugly head again... 'might as well skim coat the entire panel and block sand your azz off.
Yeah I know I took the rail covers off and the passenger side was fine but the drivers side is ate up. If I spray the truck with epoxy then surfacer will that keep the rust where it is and not get worse? I haven't decided on. Paint yet but since I'm using eastwood ' s primers I was gonna use one of there single stage urethane Red paints.

Quick Reply: Cheap Paint Job