6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

NHTSA probing F-Series with 6.7s

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 05:17 PM
4df150
Elder User
Received 305 Likes on 82 Posts
I monitor my ECTs with a SGII. I have had the #4 sensor replace under warranty. Here is the link to that thread.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...y-1st-cel.html

Old 01-20-2015, 07:31 PM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
I don't think they will be able to retrofit existing vehicles, just due to having to run the wires and find a port to plug it into. I would just think that making that addition to the new vehicles as a way of preventing or limiting the issue in the future may be worth it. I think for existing vehicles, a small change to the programming to allow the drivers to get their trucks safely off of the road would be helpful.

Obviously, a root cause failure analysis would be beneficial as well. If they could identify the source of the failures, be it mechanical breakdown of the sensor, or just the way the computer interprets the data, improvements could then be made. Yes, the EPA makes us have this stuff on our trucks, but it is still the responsibility of the engineers to figure out how to make it work. There are lots of other vehicles running down our highways that don't have this problem. If their TI's detect an anomaly, they get a CEL.

If nothing else, it is bad press for Ford when a trauma or cardiac patient dies on the side of the road because a sensor gave a false indication of a DPF fire, or for that matter if a family traveling the mountains on vacation with their 5th wheel die or kill someone else because they lost the ability to effectively steer or brake their rigs.

Reacting for the sake of reacting isn't the solution. A bad answer is a lot of times worse than no answer. I'm sure if they want to badly enough, they can correct this. GM knew for years that they had problems with their ignition switches and chose to ignore it. Look where that got them.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:03 PM
Truckie256
Laughing Gas
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by FordmanNJ
IIRC, This is where Ford Explorers (MY 1996-2001) were known as Exploders since the tires would fail while in operation. I believe there were about dozen or so deaths because of it. Ford and Firestone pointed fingers at one another. Firestone said the tires should have been inflated to the sidewall specs, not to the door sticker specs. Firestone claimed the pressures recommended by Ford was too low. Ford claimed they provided everything to Firestone and Firestone Oked everything. Ford pretty much bucked up had a tire swap program or Explorer owners who had firestone tires during that period. In the end, the Explorer was blacklisted with rental companies such as U haul. I you had a Explorer they would not rent trailers to you. They did revise the policy to the MY 2012 and later. However, my 2005 is a no go with U haul.

That's it in a nut shell. I could be forgetting something of this. Afterall this happened 15 years ago.

Wilderness AT tires I think.... BEST tires I ever owned.. and got them replaced twice... as the re placement tires got replaced too

Old 01-20-2015, 08:18 PM
Truckie256
Laughing Gas
what is the part number of this sensor that leaves you stuck?
and how much is it? I want to get one or 2.. and how difficult a job is it? Plug in? splice in? can it be done on the road side?

Old 01-20-2015, 09:46 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Good luck getting the sensors. They are hard to find.

A programming change and maybe even a recommended "change" interval for them could be established for existing truck. If Ford wanted to be really proactive, they could do the first change out of the sensors on them and before NHTSA mandates they do it. Lifetime warrantying them is probably asking too much.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:57 PM
Truckie256
Laughing Gas
anybody have part number? I will check at work tomorrow or thursday

Old 01-20-2015, 10:03 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here you goooo....

AC3Z-5J213-B
EXH TEMP SENSOR

Best place to get them or any other Ford parts is here:
http://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com

Old 01-20-2015, 10:30 PM
Truckie256
Laughing Gas
Thanks... I will see what my employee price is..... I think I get cost plus 5%

Old 01-21-2015, 05:14 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I think like you do Sam. Less than even 2% of a failure rate is plenty for the bean counters, lawyers, and government to just let this be internet hysteria and nothing more.....

I don't like it either but the numbers just don't line up.

Old 01-21-2015, 05:44 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ruschejj
I think like you do Sam. Less than even 2% of a failure rate is plenty for the bean counters, lawyers, and government to just let this be internet hysteria and nothing more.....

I don't like it either but the numbers just don't line up.
Not a very comforting thought - but probably true...

Still - I feel better being prepared and at least having some awareness as to why my $65k truck is crapping out on me..

Old 01-21-2015, 06:20 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ruschejj
............. Less than even 2% of a failure rate is plenty for the bean counters, lawyers, and government to just let this be internet hysteria and nothing more.........................
If that was the case then GM would never have been forced to change out ignition locks. I doubt it was even that high - 1/2%/number of vehicles sold

Like I said wa-a-a-y back on this thread, there just have to be more incidents reported from here (as well as the other Ford diesel sites) plus a thorough research into the NHTSA data banks to pull out other sudden engine stops.

Next b@#$h - OEM headlights that are out driven at 60mph

Old 01-21-2015, 06:34 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Irelands child
If that was the case then GM would never have been forced to change out ignition locks. I doubt it was even that high - 1/2%/number of vehicles sold

Like I said wa-a-a-y back on this thread, there just have to be more incidents reported from here (as well as the other Ford diesel sites) plus a thorough research into the NHTSA data banks to pull out other sudden engine stops.

GM's problem is that it turned off all power, and they knew about it, and decided not to fix it based on COST.

We don't know why the 'stop safely now' message is presented so harshly.
To me its a panic, last gasp, decision.. But I don't know what the other choices are, and the risks associated with each.

headlights!.. I'm right there with you!.. probably "its a work truck, they don't need no stinkin LED projector headlights!"

Old 01-21-2015, 07:05 AM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
Peterbuilts are work trucks too, and I noticed they have HID or LED projectors - FACTORY!

Old 01-21-2015, 07:19 AM
FordmanNJ
Fleet Mechanic

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Here is more news...

Hey FTE,

Here is more news to add to the conversation.

nhtsa-probes-fords-handling-of-200-000-recalled-super-duty-trucks

This looks like a recap of the first article posted about this issue. Looks like a recall might be in the works. However, this is through the press and not FoMoCo directly. Now a number of actually recalled units is being used. i wonder if Crystal can chime in with any updates in regards to this. It would be nice to see the official reps from Ford give us the updates vs the media.

Good Luck to my fellow 6.7 engine counterparts.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:40 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Irelands child

Well, believe me, I don't want to be right here. My faith in humanity is so low that I assume things like this just get swept under the rug. I'm just sittin at the bar stool next to ya......

Quick Reply: NHTSA probing F-Series with 6.7s