6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

DEF nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 08:01 PM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,630 Likes on 1,644 Posts
Originally Posted by k7lvo
I was more curious how you rigged the latch/clip that the lock tang slides into.

If anyone wants in that bad they'll just rip the door loose, IMO.
That is very true, but this way at least there will be solid evidence of vandalism! Also.....broken lock/door== do NOT start, call insurance, call FoMoCo to check out fuel system! Cheap fix for potential very expensive repair!

Also, as far as rigging the latch, I just measured how deep the lock needed to reach to catch behind the sheetmetal around the filler caps, inside the door. 5/8 inch depth on mine. Then measured how far forward of the door edge the lock needed to be for the tang to catch said sheetmetal and voila! Door is locked!

Last edited by Desert Don; 01-22-2015 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Add comment
Old 01-22-2015, 11:25 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 3,997 Likes on 1,600 Posts
Originally Posted by Dakster
I hear you on the extra keys... It isn't like cars in the early 80's didn't have locking fuel doors. Tailgate power lock/unlock would be nice too...

Was thinking of an inside locking DEF cap... But at $94... That cabinet lock is looking a lot better.

Ford
Dak.......If I am reading the info right......The Locking DEF cap is for "Large" DEF caps....whatever that is.......F450 and above.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:07 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Sailor_Roy
Dak.......If I am reading the info right......The Locking DEF cap is for "Large" DEF caps....whatever that is.......F450 and above.
correct.. the small locking def cap is still being designed

Old 01-23-2015, 07:09 AM
Adobe 11SD
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 99150
Reading threads like this reminds me that there are people out there that are just plain malicious, and will do bad things to others property just because thiey can.... So, with that........

I dont really like the appearance of it, but, I figure it is better than nothing!
I sanded the face and bezel then painted lock with automotive paint that matched the color of truck. To be fair my truck is adobe and the SS did not stand out quite as much as it does on darker colored trucks.

Old 01-23-2015, 04:43 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by Adobe 11SD
I sanded the face and bezel then painted lock with automotive paint that matched the color of truck. To be fair my truck is adobe and the SS did not stand out quite as much as it does on darker colored trucks.
Hi Randy.........

Does the paint seen to hold-up on the lock ?

Old 01-23-2015, 06:23 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
As the old saying goes, a lock only keeps an honest person honest....And yes, when there is a locking DEF cap, I will get one to go along with the locking filler cap....but the DEF and diesel filler hoses are exposed under the truck....

So, just hope no one is that determined on damaging our trucks they would crawl under them to do something

Old 01-23-2015, 06:28 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Just Strokin
As the old saying goes, a lock only keeps an honest person honest....And yes, when there is a locking DEF cap, I will get one to go along with the locking filler cap....but the DEF and diesel filler hoses are exposed under the truck....

So, just hope no one is that determined on damaging our trucks they would crawl under them to do something
Wow, if we carry it that far I can tell ya, gimme 30sec with a 16mm socket and I could drain all the oil a lot faster than I could mess with the fuel neck.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:45 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by ruschejj
Wow, if we carry it that far I can tell ya, gimme 30sec with a 16mm socket and I could drain all the oil a lot faster than I could mess with the fuel neck.
well...if it were a woman scorned.........what do you think she would do?......

plus, i believe one would notice 10 plus quarts of oil on the ground or pavement.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:49 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
screwdriver punched in the tank

Old 01-23-2015, 08:27 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
Motion sensitive alarm.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:36 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Sniper on the nearby roof top..............

Old 01-23-2015, 09:56 PM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,630 Likes on 1,644 Posts
Originally Posted by Just Strokin
As the old saying goes, a lock only keeps an honest person honest...g
So true, but as I stated earlier, I believe that I now have a real good flag if my truck should get vandalized. If I see the lock jimmied it is time to call insurance before ever starting my truck. Then call Ford and have them clean out all fuel systems.

Old 01-24-2015, 05:33 AM
ct diesel
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm thinking the Sniper is the better answer but the vet center says I can't do that anymore it makes the neighbors nerves.

I'm waiting on the insurance for a answer, but it is taking some time, i assume it's because I gave them a lot of info to digest.

So I washed the truck yesterday and it really look great. It's now covered in snow. I will be playing withe snow blower rather than the truck but that's okay it's Saturday.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:34 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not so sure about a lock just keeping an honest person honest....
I do think it will tend to make a lazy theif look for something easier though...

You guys have really got me thinking about this now.
I'm not the chrome or billet fuel door type...
The lock in the gas door would be the easiest and least expensive. I will be keeping my eyes peeled for one made of stainless steel... That little bit of extra bling isn't going to bother me I don't think...

Old 01-24-2015, 09:06 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Big-Foot
Not so sure about a lock just keeping an honest person honest....
I do think it will tend to make a lazy theif look for something easier though...

You guys have really got me thinking about this now.
I'm not the chrome or billet fuel door type...
The lock in the gas door would be the easiest and least expensive. I will be keeping my eyes peeled for one made of stainless steel... That little bit of extra bling isn't going to bother me I don't think...
Bypassing or breaking a lock shows some intent. A reasonable person would leave a locked door alone unless they have a reason to open it.

Sent from my Telegraph using IB AutoGroup

Quick Reply: DEF nightmare