Gloria: OBS build thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 11:49 AM
Krause
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gloria: OBS build thread

Hey Guys,
My name is Andrew, I've swung in from time to time here to post, but mostly have just observed for a long time. A few of you know me from RRE the past couple years, with any luck I'll meet a few more this year.

Anyways, figured I would try to keep a bit of a build thread going. Have been attempting to keep up with the others currently going, great stuff and great ideas! That said, I dont think anything I'll be showing is novel. Most of this is just researching and appreciated from other guy's builds. Bills 'big red' thread was beyond helpful, along with several others who have done S366/equivalents. So without further jabber...

The truck is a 96 Ext cab, again some of you are familiar with this truck from RRE. I guess the only thing novel about this is that this truck runs quite successfully on Veggie oil.

The overview for the build is what many others have done:
-Rosewood 160/80 sticks
-Billet S366 with DIY mount
-Headstuds
-910 Springs
-T500 HPOP
-BTS valve body and likely a racerX torque converter.
-All sorts of maintenance while the motor is out, oil cooler rebuild, orings everywhere, injector cups, blah blah blah..

And the truck is already intercooled with efuel, Hydra with gearhead files at the moment.

Most of this stuff is already waiting for install as this has been in the works for some time. Only thing remaining is the injectors, and the truck just got put away for a few of the winter months. So engine is getting pulled in a few weeks, and everything is getting done.

Arguably to biggest portion of this task is building the mount and uppipes. Cant stress how much Bills thread helped out for this, along with the priceless contributions from a few people who posted on that...

I started with a big piece of angle, like this, 8x8 1/2 inch..

With no plasma cutter or torch to speak of, it was all zipcuts on the trusty Ryobi angle grinder... I had a T4 gasket, along with some of the measurements researched off Bills thread, and was able to lay out the "L bracket" . No pictures of the process but this is the end product.

The turbo holes are not wallowed out quite enough in those ^ pics, but I wanted to mount the turbo first so that I could see exactly where the edges needed to be so I didnt get carried away with the die grinder.

Onto the drill press it went.

And then cutting the threads for studs. I used 7/16'ths NC studs. They are fairly snug in the turbo mounting flange, so I was a bit apprehensive laying the holes out, there isnt a lot of tolerance before one stud prevents turbo from going on..

Studs in

And then with a lot of relief, the turbo slid on. It was a bit tight, one stud needed a bit of coaxing to find the hole, surprising considering all my CNC equipment, bit it went on.

Unfortunately I did not get any pictures making the bottom plate. For that, I did travel to a friends house and was able to use a cutting torch. Essentially I took a stock pedestal and traced the outline onto 1/2 inch plate, adjusted a bit for my liking, and copied the holes as well. Then cut it out.

Once that was done, I got the "L" bracket on the bottom plate where I wanted it on the mockup motor, and tacked the two together so that I could drill press the two together and avoid missing mark by 1/16.

Drilling out the 4 mounting holes for the L bracket

And tapping the bottom plate, 1/2 inch NF in this case.

Once that was done, I was able to mount both plates and get a look at that the turbo was going to look like in place.

That's it for now, currently working on the up pipes. Hopefully some more pictures shortly.

-Andrew

Old 01-14-2015, 12:57 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is a great looking thread, Andrew. I don't think we talked at RRE, but I definitely recognize the truck. You're from north of the border, as well, correct (or am I confusing you with someone else?)

It looks like you've got a some great plans and an excellent start on the project. I can't wait to see it all finished up this summer at RRE.

Keep the progress and the pictures coming!

Old 01-14-2015, 01:00 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 398 Likes on 269 Posts
Hey ,look at that guy! Good deal,I met you at rre last year,you going to trek out again?

The mount looks nice.

Old 01-14-2015, 01:07 PM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That looks like some high quality workmanship right there! Atta-boy!
We love pictures keep 'em rolling in!

Old 01-14-2015, 04:07 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Nice looking truck, and nice work! Should be a fun ride when done!

Old 01-14-2015, 04:33 PM
glovemeister
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Looks good. What is your plan for oil supply/drain? Don't see any holes in your pedestal for it?

Old 01-14-2015, 04:35 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts
Good job, you have skills!!

Old 01-14-2015, 06:09 PM
Krause
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
This is a great looking thread, Andrew. I don't think we talked at RRE, but I definitely recognize the truck. You're from north of the border, as well, correct (or am I confusing you with someone else?)

It looks like you've got a some great plans and an excellent start on the project. I can't wait to see it all finished up this summer at RRE.

Keep the progress and the pictures coming!
Yes that's me, originally for Vancouver Canada, thats where I drove the truck from last year. Yea Im excited to get in on the OBS picture this year!

Originally Posted by fordman67
Hey ,look at that guy! Good deal,I met you at rre last year,you going to trek out again?

The mount looks nice.
You bet, I'll be coming down this year. Im in Hershey PA right now for school, so wont be as big of a trek fortunately.

Originally Posted by cowmilker08
That looks like some high quality workmanship right there! Atta-boy!
We love pictures keep 'em rolling in!
Thank you sir, pictures will continue. Usually I'll get to them in the morning.

Originally Posted by glovemeister
Looks good. What is your plan for oil supply/drain? Don't see any holes in your pedestal for it?
Yes, there is a small hole for supply drilled but its just a pilot hole in the pics, but it's tough to see. I havnt dug out the 1/8 NPT tap yet to see what bit I need to use. So supply is coming out of the plate, return will be down the fuel pump hole.

Originally Posted by oldbird1965
Good job, you have skills!!
Thank you sir, appreciate it.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:06 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Looking good Andrew! Glad my thread was some help to you. Everything I did I owe to all the other guys on here for helping me though. You're doing a great job! And definitely keep the pics coming! Look forward to meeting you at RRE and seeing that sweet looking truck in person!

Old 01-14-2015, 08:19 PM
ccarrier
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
For some reason I'm digging those fender flares

Old 01-14-2015, 08:37 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
I'm diggin your bumper!

Old 01-14-2015, 08:42 PM
ccarrier
Laughing Gas
I love my bumper. I have the rear one too. I got them
To combat dangerous drivers around here. So far they have fended off a Honda pilot. Truck came out scratch free

Old 01-14-2015, 08:45 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Originally Posted by ccarrier
I love my bumper. I have the rear one too. I got them
To combat dangerous drivers around here. So far they have fended off a Honda pilot. Truck came out scratch free
Mine was on the truck when I bought it. Since my wife and I combined have hit 21 deer, I figured that bumper would protect my truck. Two weeks after having it out of the shop for the whole winter, a stupid deer ran into the passenger side rear door!

Old 01-15-2015, 12:14 AM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Good looking truck, subd...

Old 01-15-2015, 07:55 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Krause
Yes that's me, originally for Vancouver Canada, thats where I drove the truck from last year. Yea Im excited to get in on the OBS picture this year!

You bet, I'll be coming down this year. Im in Hershey PA right now for school, so wont be as big of a trek fortunately.

You're not all that far from me then. If you're leaving from Hershey PA and heading to TN for RRE, let me know and we can can link up and roll down there together, provided the timing lines up. I would assume from there you'll be headed down I77.

Quick Reply: Gloria: OBS build thread