Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Powerstroke Advantages

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 01:31 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Powerstroke Advantages

What are the advantages of the Powerstroke diesel over the older 7.3 turbo? I'm heavily contemplating buying a Powerstroke in the near future, but I want to make sure and do my homework before I buy one. I have heard that the pre-Powerstroke 7.3's had a lot of problems with glow plugs- is this true? Is there anything about the Powerstroke engine that is prone to fail or that needs to be watched carefully? I would appreciate any info you guys could give me. Thanks.

Old 07-21-2003, 04:58 AM
SouthernDually
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Powerstroke Advantages

I can't really answer your question with a single answer. My suggestion would be to keep reading through the threads and I think that you will find a certian theam around each year. My take on it is that the Powerstrokes are powered up quite a bit and the maint schedule is a little easier. The only weak spot apears to be in the trans, and if your going for a 6 speed then that isn't a concern.. Pitch in guys.

Old 07-21-2003, 05:09 AM
Forrest Nearing
Senior User
Powerstroke Advantages

contemplate a 5.9 Cummins... much stronger engine than the 7.3 internationals! no glow plugs, no Rube-Goldberg injectors, no problems!

check out the picture... GM 6.5 rod, Powerstroke 7.3 rod, and Cummins 5.9 rod:

Old 07-21-2003, 07:11 AM
dakejh
Senior User
Powerstroke Advantages

With the Power Stroke, I have found that it is much easier to manage your Power to Fuel economy. My 99F350 was getting 14mpg to 16mpg. After a power chip, 4in exhaust, and a K&N, I increased my HWY miliage to 22mpg (non towing) and maintained 14 to 16mpg while towing a 11,000lb loaded goosneck. With the 7.3 turbo I could never get more than 16mpg or with towing 12mpg regardless of what mods I could come up with..... I think that has been the best advantage of my Power Stroke..... The Power is nice to have aswell.

Old 07-21-2003, 04:53 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Powerstroke Advantages

SouthernDually, I'm looking at a 96-97 Powerstroke, so I'd be looking at a 5 speed, not a 6. Any problems with the 5 speeds? I'm sure the Cummins is a good engine, but I don't like the truck that the Cummins engines are in. DODGE =Defective On Delivery, Go Easy. Besides that, I've already switched from Chevy to Ford, so another switch might mess up my reputation for good

Old 07-22-2003, 03:40 PM
basstardo
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Powerstroke Advantages

[i]DODGE =Defective On Delivery, Go Easy. [/B]

Anyway, I would go with a Powerstroke that is newer. This is my first diesel, and I won't ever buy a gas engine again. My Uncle had an older 7.3 non-turbo and it was ok. Had plenty of power, but hook up the 5th wheel and it was a dog. Another Uncle of mine has a 2000 PSD, which was the reason I bought mine. The PowerStroke is a great motor and has plenty of power and torque to do whatever you need to do.

Terry

Old 07-22-2003, 04:02 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Powerstroke Advantages

Originally posted by Forrest Nearing
contemplate a 5.9 Cummins... much stronger engine than the 7.3 internationals! no glow plugs, no Rube-Goldberg injectors, no problems!

check out the picture... GM 6.5 rod, Powerstroke 7.3 rod, and Cummins 5.9 rod:

I read a debate on another site over this picture. The Cummins rods are larger, but it was suggested that the Cummins rod is placed forward in the picture, so it appears to be a little larger than it actually is.

Old 07-22-2003, 04:03 PM
garand
New User
Powerstroke Advantages

I do most of my heavy hauling with a '99 Powerstroke, and I love it. The only reason that I don't keep up with traffic with a heavy load (and I can) is because I want to have a large gap between me and the vehicles ahead of me. The whole heavy load doesn't stop as fast thing.

And about the connecting rod on the Cummins vs the Powerstroke; Dodge wants to get as much to the crank as Ford, but they have 6 cylinders to do it with, whereas Ford has 8. That means that each rod in the Cummins HAS to be bigger because it is subjected to more stress. Also, because it is an I-6, the Cummins will NEED a crankshaft that has a bigger diameter, because it will be longer than one for a V-8, which would allow it to flex more if it wasn't bigger. Hence the bigger hole at the end of the rod that mates to the crank.

Old 07-22-2003, 05:00 PM
dakejh
Senior User
Powerstroke Advantages

Bigger Rod,

That is all great, but, engineering for specific applications is what we are talking about. A Power Stroke is designed for Medium/Light duty haulers and pickup trucks. It is designed for power and ecomomy. I would not expect to see a Power Stroke V8 in a bull dozer, but a cummins is the perfect application.

Old 07-22-2003, 05:40 PM
garand
New User
Powerstroke Advantages

Actually I was talking about engineering the parts to stand up to the stresses produced in the engine, which are more dependent on torque than they are the application for which the engine is being used (you can find two very different applications that require the same amount of torque). The same principals would apply when comparing a V-8 in a bulldozer to an I-6 in a dozer. To produce the same amount torque at the crank as a V-8, the I-6 has to have larger connecting rods and a larger crank if you don't want it to break. I am not ******* the 5.9 cummins, it is a good engine. It's the Dodge surrounding it that scares me.

What would seperate the two from which engine is better at what application in many cases is RPM range. Tractors and dozers, and other heavy equipment generally tend to run at a much more constant RPM than engines in light trucks. From this standpoint, I would most likely agree that the cummins would be better in a dozer than a Powerstroke. The Powerstroke, on the otherhand has a wider range of rpms, which would make it more suited to driving where the speed of the vehicle is always changing, like that of a light truck.

Old 07-22-2003, 06:04 PM
theologian
Postmaster
Powerstroke Advantages

I had a 93 7.3 prior to getting my PSD - The none PSD could not tow 11,000 up Vale Pass in Colorado. The powerstroke manages a 17,500 lb trailer on Wolf Creek Pass, without a problem.

Old 07-22-2003, 10:07 PM
dakejh
Senior User
Powerstroke Advantages

One thing to consider is comprable size engines. I have always been told (by uncles, grandfolks) back when I was a pup, that an inline will always have more torque than a comprable V8 at lower, constant RPM's. ie: a 300 inline 6 as compared to a 302 V8. That is why all of our water wells for irrigating were pumped by inline gas or diesel engines. However, fuel consumption was huge. Keeping that in mind, would a Cummins of comprable size to a 444ci Power Stroke be more powerful? A 5.9ltr Cummins is giving up almost 85 cubic inches.

I own and swear by the power stroke. But you have got to give it to cummins 5.9. For its size its great. But it still cannot stand up to a Power Stroke.

Old 07-22-2003, 10:24 PM
SouthernDually
Elder User
Lightbulb Powerstroke Advantages

The cummings engine is a good engine. My real grip with the digger is everything wraped around the engine. Trans problems, electrical problems, brake problems...on and on. I think that you still have to look at the total package. On that side of the house I think the PSD is way ahead. If you don't believe me then just check out the consumer sites. Accross the board you will find that the diggers have a lot more problems than the Fords. I did do the research before I bought and have several friends with the diggers. Except for the styling most of them would rather have the Fords except thy have so much money tied up in thier trucks they can't afford to get out of them..Think about it.

Old 07-23-2003, 12:56 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Powerstroke Advantages

Thanks for the replies guys. Now all I need to do is decide if I want to stick with a gasser or go to a Powerstroke. I think the Powerstroke would be good for what I do, but I'm worried about what happens when an alternator or starter burns out, the glow plugs go bad, the clutch goes out etc. Come on guys, convince me I need a Powerstroke now

Old 07-23-2003, 03:16 AM
SouthernDually
Elder User
Powerstroke Advantages

And nothing like that can happen to a gasser?. no matter what you decide, anything made by man can be broke by man. I'll stick to the PSD. It reliable, strong, and dependable. Enough for me.

Quick Reply: Powerstroke Advantages