2012 Explorer with electrical issues...I think

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 04:49 PM
Coloradogirl
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 Explorer with electrical issues...I think

Hi everyone I am hoping some of you smart guys can help.

On 12/30 I went out to start my Explorer and it just clicked. I gave it a quick jump fired it up. Now we were to have record breaking cold that night at 27 below so I called my local Ford dealership and told them what happened. They got me right in. They took a look and told me I needed a new battery. I questioned why at only 2 years old why I would already need one. Those temps we had coming are not normal at all. The service guy said IDK sorry but your 300 miles over warrenty for battery. OK I bought a new battery and left.

Over the next 3 days I didnt drive but maybe 4 miles total and on the 4th day went to start Explorer and NOTHING. No bells no gauges heck I couldnt even pop the hatch to get jumper cables. I went to jump it again and instead of the regular clicking when battery isnt quite ready it was RAPID. So rapid in fact I freaked out and pulled the key but the clicking kept going for a few moments. Got it started and took it back to the dealership. I questioned what did they do to arrive at the theroy that I needed a new battery. The service guy swears he checked battery and alternator and starter but I had the keys in my pocket the whole time.

So they take the explorer back after giving me some song and dance that maybe they gave me a bad battery. Two days later they return my car claiming the battery they gave me is fine and their theroy now is that the one they gave me wasnt properly charged so when I went straight home and parked and didnt drive it much it allowed the battery to get so low that my hatch wouldnt even open. They have run a parasitic drain test just to be sure and nothing was out of spec.

I pick up my car drive 3.8 miles remove the key and the car says in battery saver mode start engine or turn ignition off. No key was in the ignition to turn it off. I restart car and by the speedo it flashes check charging system battery low then radio screen goes black. Radio will not come on.

I drive straight back to dealership. I leave it running so service guy can see whats going on. He turns it off and back on and radio screen comes on but now its asking me to pick a trip. Trip was already set and screen cleared before I left dealership. The service guy goes back to the mechanic who worked on it and comes back and tells me to hang out while he goes to find another vechile to see if what I am experiencing is normal. ???? I about come unglued. Manager steps in I tell him whats happened and he gives me a loaner and sends me on my way.

3 days later and NOTHING. They have no clue why its acting this way or what to do. I asked today if they had checked to make sure if something was draining the battery of if the car just thinks it is? Their response was a shake of the head and reference to trying to duplicate the battery save mode instruction to see if its normal???

Sorry for such a long post but I am at my witts end and am afraid that they will shrug hand it back and here we go again. I dont understand how they cant figure it out. Hopefully someone here has had or heard of a similar issue.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:49 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,683 Likes on 1,359 Posts
Parasitic load test is the check they did before to see if something is draining the battery.

These newer cars will do crazy things when the electronics get low voltages from the battery and charging system. Sounds to me like there is a intermittent loose connection or bad cable somewhere, and they can't find it or are not looking. You had a "charging system low" error so I think it's trying to call out for help when it can.