1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

302 pulley system options?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 09:10 AM
filthy6
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
302 pulley system options?

Good morning. I am getting ready to install a 302 roller motor. It has no pulleys on it currently. Right now I'm hopeful that I can get it driving with just the alternator and be happy with no power brakes, steering, or air conditioning. At the same time recognizing that it probably won't be long after I drive it that I will change my mind and start adding all those things. Anyone familiar with a system that would allow me to start with alternator only then add on as I feel the need? In the alternative is there a system set up for all the options that would let me run just the alternator until I was ready to get the extras? Really don't care about the bling but would take it if it provided me the best options. Thanks for any advise.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:39 AM
1LIFE
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 12-28-2014, 09:55 AM
filthy6
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 1LIFE

As it turns out.....a picture is worth a thousand words. I have owned the truck over a year. Hoping no more then a couple of months for engine and trans. Afraid if I try to do power everything and a/c it will end up being my sons truck to finish.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:31 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
In the pre-serpentine belt era, it was common for accessories to all be separate. If you can find the front dress parts from a 70's 302, complete with timing cover and water pump, you could make that work and add what you want, when you want. keep in mind your late model roller motor may be set up for reverse rotation with the serpentine belt, so if you run v-belts, you want to be sure you're turning the pump the correct way.

You may also check with Mustang resto parts sites and see what's available in repro if you can't find what you need in the local junk yards. Old cars are getting harder to find at the recyclers.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:32 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
If you can handle the initial cost, go with a complete package now. Here is the V/A Front Runner system, best package that I have found...you don't have to get the bling if you want to save a few bucks.

Attached Images  
Old 12-28-2014, 12:01 PM
1LIFE
Junior User
If you are interested in complete setup let me know. I have an unused complete Billet Specialties setup boxed up here somewhere that will let go for good price.

Old 12-28-2014, 02:01 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I drive mine up here where its usually 90 to 100 or so degrees in the summer and the windows and cowl vents are sufficient for me (but I enjoy the feel of driving it stock). Your temps run pretty high down there, dont they. I think your on the right track planning ahead.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:12 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
Originally Posted by CharlieLed
If you can handle the initial cost, go with a complete package now. Here is the V/A Front Runner system, best package that I have found...you don't have to get the bling if you want to save a few bucks.
Can you actually get a Vintage air unit without the bling?

Old 12-29-2014, 08:35 PM
OK F1
Mountain Pass
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I can't speak for the alternator only option, but I got a complete front bracket assembly off of a 2000 5.0 explorer (serpentine) for $20 at the pull a part! It requires the short water pump and timing cover (94-95 Mustang style) and a pan mounted dipstick, but my motor came from an explorer anyway.

It seems you can use the right side (pass) bracket as is, since it holds the alternator and carries the tensioner. On the DS you can use an available A/C delete pulley and omit the PS pump altogether. You will, of course, need a shorter belt. The only real reason you have use the DS bracket at all is to maintain the reverse rotation for the water pump, that is, unless you can find a workaround.

Here's a link to the pic of the setup (not mine).

http://classicbroncos.com/tech/wp-co...0/01/Fig_1.jpg

A/C bottom right. PS top right. Alternator top left, tensioner bottom left, idler top middle.

A/C delete:

http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znet...34166/image/2/

I bet you could get brackets, idler, tensioner, and crank pulley for less than $50. Well, that's my low-buck suggestion, but I cannot make any personal guarantee it will work since I am using all accessories. I see no reason it wouldn't. Good luck!

Last edited by OK F1; 12-29-2014 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Add Pics
Old 12-29-2014, 08:38 PM
OK F1
Mountain Pass
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
One more thing!

It will probably be UGLY, but it will be ready for you to add accessories at any time with just a belt change.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:53 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
Originally Posted by 56panelford
Can you actually get a Vintage air unit without the bling?
They make one that is not polished/chrome plated...in fact one option is to have it all blacked out. Seems a shame to have all that nice aluminum hidden under a coat of black but I guess some like it that way. I sprayed mine with Glisten PC to preserve the finish and to make maintenance easier.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:36 PM
johnnydevil55
Senior User
Ford's small blocks are not created equal when it comes to pulleys, be careful mixing and matching and try to get a complete new set or pull everything off a junkyard motor. And make sure you get the right rotation water pump. aftermarket water pumps sometimes do not list if they are standard or reverse. if you need a distributor check out this company, I know guys who've been running with these for a few years now with no problems. White Performance Detail Description

Old 12-30-2014, 05:38 PM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I wrote this a little while back and might be helpful.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ine-drive.html

Old 12-31-2014, 08:54 AM
ADOR
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you like the V-belt style but want a S style belt look at some of the Lincoln town cars. They don't have a tensioner and the water pump is standard rotation, but with S style belt. I took off AC and power steering on mine and just used a shorter belt.

100_1811 by safjist_nipnog, on Flickr

This is before I took the power steering belt off, it tightens up by the alternator. The second belt is for the AC.

Since the bracket was aluminum I cut the power steering parts off then later cleaned them up with a grinder with sand paper head.

100_2071 by safjist_nipnog, on Flickr

Old 12-31-2014, 03:27 PM
ddiaz12
Senior User

This was my setup on my 70's 302 with no AC but PS. I did make an error initially as to which way the pulley's rotated.

Quick Reply: 302 pulley system options?