6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Wanna see pics ON TRUCK of Spyder vs Recon Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 03:14 PM
BlackNM6.0
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sdetweil
the Halo doesn't have any stock wiring..
That's right. That and the LEDs at the bottom of the fixture.

Old 12-28-2014, 03:59 PM
Wizness
Senior User
My buddy has the spyder headlights on his 2014 ram and while they are nice they are very blue/purple. I didn't think they were that bright as well but maybe it was just his specific type he got.

Old 12-28-2014, 04:16 PM
BlackNM6.0
Senior User

They are only slightly brighter than factory but they look way better, IMHO. The only problem is that most bumper/grill guards have a horizontal bar across the headlights which will fall right in front of the headlight since the bulbs are placed in the middle of the fixture.

Old 12-28-2014, 04:21 PM
BlackNM6.0
Senior User

I'm thinking about HIDs for the low beams because I had HIDs in my '05 and liked the brightness of those. Not a priority right now tho.

Old 12-28-2014, 05:12 PM
superdutyon37s
Senior User
Does anyone know if there is enough room to upgrade to HID's with the Recons? I've heard some aftermarket lights the housing isn't deep enough to get HID's as the bulbs are longer than non HID lights

Old 12-28-2014, 10:15 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chad149
Most of the led replacement bulbs don't work well with projectors. If you look at then the LED face sideways to use the reflector housings. Would need to point strait to work with projectors.
Not entirely sure I am buying this...

HIDs emit their light out the sides as does the LED. Most Halogen lights have caps on the ends and also emit their light out the sides.
From what I have read, Projector lights also have reflectors but use a lense to put a tighter focus on the light coming off of the reflectors.
Like this picture below::

Old 12-29-2014, 01:47 AM
Chad149
Lead Driver
Received 507 Likes on 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Big-Foot
Not entirely sure I am buying this...

HIDs emit their light out the sides as does the LED. Most Halogen lights have caps on the ends and also emit their light out the sides.
From what I have read, Projector lights also have reflectors but use a lense to put a tighter focus on the light coming off of the reflectors.
Like this picture below::

True, but keep in mind the common led headlamp bulbs, as viewed from a side angle, the led is only visible from one or two positions. With a Halogen or HID bulb the filament is completely visible from all sides. The reflector in a projector is fairly small, and if not completely illuminated performance will suffer. You may just light up the backside of the shielding or baffling for example.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:09 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Just subscribing as I'm looking at the Spyder lights to maybe get something that will allow me to run 65mph at night without overdriving the @#$% Ford lights, even with the very bright Phillips X-treme vision halogens.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:29 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,086 Likes on 2,220 Posts

Recons. Look cool, low beam light is crap. Brights are good. I have HID's in my low beam that are a dual beam H13 kit. The HID bulb is both a low beam and a high beam that comes on when the brights are activated. I also have the standard halogen silver stars that come on as well for high beams. I love the look, but hate the low beam output. I would recommend a larger projector housing installed in the stock housing if you are wanting better light output.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:44 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,198 Likes on 573 Posts
Black Flame Customs is the way to go for light output. They re-fit your current housings with HID projectors. It's a labor intensive process so it's expensive. However, it's the only way to go if you really want more light from the stock location. I opted for a Rigid light bar instead. I can now help land planes if the power goes out at the airport...LOL...

Old 12-29-2014, 09:23 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,086 Likes on 2,220 Posts
+1 on the auxiliary lighting. I installed the Rigid D2's and they help a ton, but I don't drive around town with them on. I use them in the sticks and they help a ton.

Old 12-29-2014, 04:19 PM
superdutyon37s
Senior User
I contacted Black Flame Customs. I really like how they look. They are closed for the holidays so have to wait for a quote... Any idea of a range for what their lights cost? Are they over a $1,000?

Old 12-30-2014, 06:32 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by superdutyon37s
I contacted Black Flame Customs. I really like how they look. They are closed for the holidays so have to wait for a quote... Any idea of a range for what their lights cost? Are they over a $1,000?

If you dig into the site, you will find that they will retrofit yours for around $275 labor + whatever options you want or sell you replacements for $1250 + upgrades. My guess is that you will not save much by having them retro your existing assemblies. They quote you by the job. It's not a very easy site to navigate(HID Projector Retrofits, Custom Headlight Packages & HID Projector Conversion Service | BlackFlameCustoms.com) and way more then I can spend.

Old 12-30-2014, 06:43 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,198 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by superdutyon37s
Irelands child is right about their site. I contacted them directly when I was considering this. I can't remember the quote but it was highly variable based on options chosen. I told them to do my quote based on the 100% best projectors and best ballasts reusing my existing housings to save money. I believe it was the LS460 projectors and Morimoto XB55 ballasts. I opted out of smoke treatment, halos, and eyebrow LED's to save money. Plus, I wanted max light as opposed to looking like something from the fast and the furious. They get all their parts from The Retrofit Source so if you were highly mechanically inclined, you could order the parts direct and do it yourself. It takes a lot of cutting, leveling, and reassembling though and I personally wouldn't dream of it.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:45 AM
LabCab
Laughing Gas
Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts
Rodney,
So what did they quote you? Like you, I just want the best quality light output, not the fancy effects.
Thanks.
Pat

Quick Reply: Wanna see pics ON TRUCK of Spyder vs Recon Headlights