1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Bug out my Bullnose

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 10:19 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by SVTDriver97
That's what he said, he could run it on just about anything. Deuce and a half, yeah, that's what he called it. I remembered the deuce part.
Deuce and a half = 2 1/2 (ton truck)

Old 12-22-2014, 10:24 PM
Ranger1980
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nothing Special
Deuce and a half = 2 1/2 (ton truck)
62 mph top speed and 5mpg. Not my first choice for a bov. You can get them and the 5 ton version for pennies from govliquiditation.com. parts are uber expensive and somewhat hard to get. Good thing is they don't break often and usually have under 10k miles on them.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:25 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Maybe we just dropped a small one on North Korea's internet?
I nreed mry trin froil hats nrow .....

Old 12-22-2014, 10:27 PM
Ranger1980
Senior User
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Maybe we just dropped a small one on North Korea's internet?
Don't play games with the country that started the inner web. We will shut you down.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:33 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Ranger1980
62 mph top speed and 5mpg. Not my first choice for a bov. You can get them and the 5 ton version for pennies from govliquiditation.com. parts are uber expensive and somewhat hard to get. Good thing is they don't break often and usually have under 10k miles on them.
A 69 to 73 VW Beetle is about as sound as you can find around here for a bug out vehicle .

Old 12-22-2014, 10:41 PM
Ranger1980
Senior User
Originally Posted by JWC 3
A 69 to 73 VW Beetle is about as sound as you can find around here for a bug out vehicle .
Actually a good choice. Good off road, light,easy to work on good on gas reliable....

Old 12-22-2014, 10:48 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Ranger1980
Actually a good choice. Good off road, light,easy to work on good on gas reliable....
I do agree ! Being an old VW guy ... If I had to chose . I would be hard pressed to choose my 78 F100 in some situations .

Old 12-23-2014, 07:13 AM
SVTDriver97
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JWC 3
HA, 'bug' out vehicle

Old 12-23-2014, 07:30 AM
f100beatertruck
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guys, put the pipe down...

One, the metal body of a car makes a crude faraday cage. Two, EMP relies on wires to build up an electromagnetic surge that takes out the components. There's not enough surface area to do enough damage. An air blast EMP is more likely to inflict harm, but most of the pre-ODBII stuff simply don't have enough surface area to work with. I'll bet a lot of post ODBII will work.

In the case of a solar flare that's going to hit us and cause an EMP we'll know at least 24hrs before hand. Then it's simply a race to shut the system down. Disconnect and isolate all the switch gear and transformers, etc. Once it's passed we start everything back up.

Now, assuming we're dumb enough not to shut everything down, or someone does an air blast emp, what are your refueling plans? A 460 F250 will average 10mpg at best and with the stock capacity of about 38 gallons you have about 380 miles of driving at best before you're walking. How far is your bug out location, how much do you intend to use your truck after you get there and how are you going to deal with all the other idiots stuck on the road and possibly very eager to hitch a ride; whether you want them to or not...

A diesel ranger would be a much better option. Diesel stores better and you can make them multi-fuel much easier. Also, if you want to go full tinfoil on this look into wood gasification systems. I would then use a 300 inline six for my engine of choice.

Old 12-23-2014, 11:14 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
After now owning one, I would suggest the best bug out vehicle might be one of the tiny japanese mini trucks.They are relatively cheap, you can get 4x4, and they are about the size of a golf cart maybe longer with the bed, and can hold 800-1500 lbs in the bed. Mine is carbed and runs great. You can make it to highway speed, but barely. More importantly, they are small you can park them anywhere and weave down little trails or places you cant get with a vehicle, and most importantly they are only about 1400 lbs so easy to get un-stuck, and 1 guy can easily push it. Only downside is only 2 seats, but in an emergency you could just put passengers in the bed.

Old 12-23-2014, 11:21 AM
parkland
Lead Driver

Just a pic I found online.
These things are awesome little 3 cyl engines purr along, some have AC, heat, etc. Way better than a side by side. ours has plates on it and the wife cruises all over lol.

Old 12-23-2014, 11:34 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Dihatsu?

Take the governor off and open the gearbox to remove the top gear lockout.

Those things are scary fast for what they are.

Old 12-23-2014, 12:28 PM
Dorsai
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by f100beatertruck
Guys, put the pipe down...
*checks watch* Just under 20 hours for the first party pooper to show up? That's about 19 hours longer than I expected...not bad.

I doubt anyone here is posting from inside their shielded hunker bunker or anything like that. Just like watching The Walking Dead, Omega Man, or any other apocalyptic entertainment and thinking about what you would do in a similar situation, I suspect this is just a fun exploration of what-if for all involved.
Now, assuming we're dumb enough not to shut everything down, or someone does an air blast emp, what are your refueling plans? A 460 F250 will average 10mpg at best and with the stock capacity of about 38 gallons you have about 380 miles of driving at best before you're walking. How far is your bug out location, how much do you intend to use your truck after you get there and how are you going to deal with all the other idiots stuck on the road and possibly very eager to hitch a ride; whether you want them to or not...
Now you're getting into the spirit of things!

Hopefully, anyone prepared enough to have a bugout location is also prepared enough to have a plan to get there, including fuel. For me, my 'bugout location' (it's really more of a "where do I go if something bad happens in Atlanta" location) is my parents' house about 50 miles south of the city. That should be in easy range of my 300-powered F-150, even at 14mpg. I typically keep the 19 gallon tank half full or better (to mitigate rust formation, not as apocalypse insurance), and have 5-10 gallons in cans for lawn equipment. Combine that with whatever I can get from the two other vehicles I have, and I should be good to go.

Also, if you want to go full tinfoil on this look into wood gasification systems. I would then use a 300 inline six for my engine of choice.
See? You're having fun, too.

Last edited by Dorsai; 12-23-2014 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Speeling & grammer
Old 12-23-2014, 12:48 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Probably the best investment a person could make for a doomsday situation would be chainsaws and wood stoves.
All the northern states and canada would need heat in an emergency situation and not many people have a wood stove anymore.

Sure there are lots of things a person could trade, but heat is going to be a major one.
I am not a bug out type of person, but think a lot of people with these "bug out" plans are not thinking things through very well.
First of all, all these guys that plan to bug out to remote farms and land; farmers have guns, and I imagine they would use them if you just move into their property.
Second, with bug out vehicles, just because you have a reliable fuelled up vehicle thats EMP safe, is no guarantee at all that you’ll get anywhere at all. Chances are that roads would be littered with dead cars. Sure you can drive over lawns and curbs, but chances of getting a flat are huge.
Thirdly, Being in a remote location is a terrible idea, police will likely not be there if something goes down, and something is likely to happen, since "have nots" will be a constant issue.

I don't understand these guys that have massive rifle and gun collections and are like "they won't be taking nothing of ours, good luck!" Well all it takes is one bullet in you, and all those guns are useless.

I think the best solution is "bugging in". Stay where your familiar with the area and landscape, and keep food water and heat available in backup situations.
Don't **** people off, don't try and take stuff that isn't yours, don't think you can drive to someones farmland or public forest and think you can start a frontier style living arrangement.

Old 12-23-2014, 12:56 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
Dihatsu?

Take the governor off and open the gearbox to remove the top gear lockout.

Those things are scary fast for what they are.
You can get them in canada without governors on them.
Ours is a daihatsu 4x4 with ac and heat, it goes 110 km/h wide open, and actually pretty easy to drive on the highway. Oh yeah we also have plates on it haha.
The biggest problem is offroading and getting chunks of junk in the wheels then getting vibrations down the highway after, but thats like any vehicle.

If there was an apocalypse, I'd rather be putting fuel in a 1400 lb mini truck than a 14,000 lb deuce or even 8000 lb pickup.
Also it would be was easier to hide than a massive truck.

A lot of farmers are using them now, and say they're way tougher than any ATV's or UTV's you can buy, maybe not as fast of offroad capable, but hey you get heat, AC, and parts that can last hundreds of thousands of kilometers, where you see 10,000 km's on an ATV or UTV, you know it's been through the ringer and likely darn near worn out.

Quick Reply: Bug out my Bullnose