6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Sync Services?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 09:07 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Templar
Never had any issues...

I don't use the Sync services. I have my smartphone for that. If I am parked somewhere and want to know the nearest fast food place or something, I just use Google or the like.

Find the address if it's that far away and plug it into the NAV. Only reason I don't use the NAV on my phone strictly is because of the battery life it eats.
I plug my phone in all the time.

remember that these functions were designed long before smart phones ripped up the whole services model.

waze as a gps is amazingly live

Old 12-22-2014, 09:18 AM
Templar
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sdetweil
I plug my phone in all the time.

remember that these functions were designed long before smart phones ripped up the whole services model.

waze as a gps is amazingly live
Very true. Waze is great. I just got into using it and have been using it more. I typically only use my phone GPS or something for long trips, and I haven't been on a "long" trip in a couple of years. Will be driving a nice ways this week though for the holidays so I am looking forward to using it!

Old 12-26-2014, 05:07 PM
lanedecamp
Junior User
This is where Alpine's Carplay is the way to go. It brings all your iPhone functions to the dash and integrates it all with cameras, nav, yada yada yada. It's less than what Nav alone costs from Ford and does so much better. Ford is finally giving up Microsoft and going with Apple -- giving up the 2% market share leader and going with the 80% one.

Check out the Alpine Carplay, though. It's gorgeous and gives you a touch screen with live nav updates and the rest.

Long before I'd buy an automotive manufacturer's nav system, I'd either get a big fancy Garmin Nuvi unit or do what I'm doing now, which is a wireless capable iPad Air. It has voice-over, all kinds of graphics, satellite view, photographic visuals of the buildings you're looking for, traffic updates, accident and construction updates, etc. And then you can add Waze or speed trap trackers or a dozen other apps. Honestly, it sits on your console and gives you so much more info, and it is always updating for no incremental cost. I even got a rechargeable exterior-rated bluetooth video cam, mounted it on a magnetic base, and use it as a portable camera if I am front-hitching or have a load in the back I want to keep an eye on. The bluetooth has enough range that you can stick it to the wall of a horse trailer or whatever else and watch it live from your driver's seat on the iPad (or any iPhone or other device for that matter).

All in all, there are better, more creative solutions out there by far than MS Sync Services.

Old 12-26-2014, 05:21 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
im glad my smartphone dont charge me 150$ to update the map like fords sync does! WHAT A RIP.

Old 12-26-2014, 07:05 PM
Thom12
Senior User
Originally Posted by FordIVTteam
The built-in navigation is free for the lifetime of your vehicle. Please note, this does not include map updates. Should you feel the need to update the maps, a new SD card or DVD (depending on your system) can be purchased via our map provider, HERE, at HERE navigation - Update your sat nav with the latest HERE maps..

I hope that helps answer your question, but if not, let me know and I'll explain further.

Rebecca

Hello Rebecca,
I have a 2011 F-350 with the original map data base. The only way that I would pay $150 to update those maps would be if Ford got Navtech to produce a version of maps for RVers. It only makes sense since many of us use our trucks to tow fifth wheel campers and other large trailers and it would be nice to know information like the kind that Garmin's RV GPS provides.
Just food for Ford's thought.

Old 12-26-2014, 07:20 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like to use my nav but then I have to check it against my maps just to make sure it's right. I am not spending $150 in updates, I would rather use maps. That Alpine Carplay sounds interesting.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:29 AM
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by Thom12
Hello Rebecca,
I have a 2011 F-350 with the original map data base. The only way that I would pay $150 to update those maps would be if Ford got Navtech to produce a version of maps for RVers. It only makes sense since many of us use our trucks to tow fifth wheel campers and other large trailers and it would be nice to know information like the kind that Garmin's RV GPS provides.
Just food for Ford's thought.
That's an excellent idea. Get your voice heard on our Ford Social site. You never know what will happen. Here's the link:

Social.Ford.com

Rebecca

Old 12-29-2014, 09:49 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
I have mentioned it a number of times. Why Ford does not offer the option in the map display preferences I don't know. Short sighted.

I use a Rand McNally RV GPS for towing anything of real length/WT.

Small stuff is no big deal.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:52 AM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
For Its New In-Car Computer Systems ? Ford Ditches Microsoft For Blackberry

Looks like Ford is officially ditching Microsoft. That's great, except now I have an "old" system in my brand new truck that won't be supported with the software change. Great. I wonder what hardware needs to be changed to make this work? I never would have thought my system would be completely obsolete soo quickly.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:01 AM
metfancowboy
Senior User
Just think about those brand new F150's. Total redesign, new everything, but with an old outdated NAV system.

Old 12-29-2014, 05:19 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
suprized ford dont get sued when someone drive off the road into a canyon or something when the old sync map was used and they of course are not paying attention just following the computer guidance!

we get the morons by us all the time looking for a road that doesnt exist they say their iphone tell them is there.