1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

OT: Hobbies, skills?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 11:24 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Topmoo, I played competitive soccer until I was 41. Guys I played with in college put together a team and we played in the Keystone State Games. We took 1st place in the over 40 age group. The next year we came in second and I didn't think I played well so that was the last I played for real. I would knock it around with my HS kids and step in and play at practice but then they became to fast for me..

Originally Posted by cstempert
Nice clocks Abe

I live in Wolcott, CT right between Bristol and Thomaston where your clocks were built
There are several businesses in the old clock factory now Still has its stack and water tower on the roof
Thanks, CT must have been the clock capital of the US.

Dennis, where in Ephrata is your Model RR Club. That is some awesome layouts you have there. Are any of those buildings replicas of local places? I am glad you have a Ford truck by the building you built.

Old 12-22-2014, 06:00 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 765 Likes on 375 Posts
Very cool stuff guys.
Dennis, does that 56 by the house you built have a chopped top? It kind of looks like it in the pictures. Those displays are amazing.
Am I odd for noticing the lighting and how you direct the light to the displays? It really enhances the displays.

Old 12-22-2014, 07:02 AM
pintoplumber
Fleet Mechanic
Received 554 Likes on 266 Posts
Abe, it's at 11 S. State St. rear basement. Use to be the old Nissley bottle gas building. We have a website. www.slmrc.com

Harrier, it's not a chop top, must be the camera angle. We're set in the mid fifties. I had painted one of those trucks with some of my blue paint, but someone stole it. Dennis

Old 12-22-2014, 11:41 AM
My Old Tools
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PADI SCUBA Instructor (retired)
underwater photography
woodworking and metal working
collect old tools and machinery
beekeeping
fishing
I used to hunt and shoot a good bit, but my eyes went.
travel
and now my 1951 F1
My job is computer system engineering.
Ross
www.myoldtools.com

Old 12-22-2014, 11:52 AM
My Old Tools
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by abe
here are some pictures of my old clocks:

This is my Thomas Lister tall case clock built in England over 200 years ago. In front is my rocker built by my Great-G-G- grandfather which predates the civil War.

This is a Wooden gear clock built in Bristol, CT. It is not working at this time, several teeth are missing from a gear.

This is a mantle clock that belonged to my wife's grandfather made by Ingraham of Bristol, CT.

This is a banjo clock made by Sessions in 1929, the same year our house was built. It is identical to one my parents had hanging in our kitchen when I was a kid.
My dad collect early American clocks for all of my growing up years. He rebuilt hundreds of them and sold a bunch putting kids through college. I still have a few, a E.N. Welch beehive, a North Haven Fashion, a couple of OG cased clocks, a couple of banjo's, and a grandfather built around 1805 in Pennsylvania. I can't remember the maker right now, but we also have a cherry four poster bed made by the same cabinetmaker.

Old 12-22-2014, 01:14 PM
wallster
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So many interesting people with cool skills!

Wally

Old 12-22-2014, 02:34 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
For 27 years I have been active in collecting and fixing old gas engines. Single cylinder jobs from the first quarter of the 20th century. The big one here was given to me minus the cylinder head back in '88. Every part was stuck solid. I freed it up and made a wood pattern for the missing head. An iron foundry that makes man hole covers cast the head and a retired machinist friend did the machine work. He wouldn't take any money so I bought a big sirloin roast at the market. This engine was built by The Stover Engine Co of Freeport Illinois in 1912 and has a bore of 6" and 12" stroke. It was built to deliver 8hp @ 300 rpms. It weighs 2125 lbs. The square hopper over the cylinder hols the cooling water. The ignition is by battery and low tension coil and instead of a spark plug uses a mechanical device called an igniter which consists of a set of points working inside the combustion chamber. This is actuated by the exhaust push rod. The intake valve uses no push rod as it's atmospheric like a check valve. If the engine is under a full load it will fire every other revolution like any four cycle engine, but if it's idling it only fires about 3 times per minute, this explosion carrying it through many revolutions as the inertia is stored in those heavy flywheels. During this period, the exhaust valve is held off it's seat by the governor latch and it freewheels without any compression. This is what makes this engine a 'hit and miss' type of gas engine. If anyone wants to see it running, I found a video that was taken at Lynden Wa. a few years back. I had no knowledge someone was filming my engine until I searched youtube to see if any other 8hp stovers were out there. I can't remember how to do a link, but Look for (1912 8hp stover gas engine) . In the video it's running at about 75 rpms. Unlike my posts, the video is quite short. Probably because someone else made it.

Attached Images    
Old 12-22-2014, 03:11 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
GB SISSON's 1912 8hp stover gas engine

Old 12-22-2014, 03:13 PM
mustangmike6996
Elder User
Jet skis
Beer brewing (and drinking)
Yardwork
Home projects
Boating
anything automotive

Old 12-22-2014, 05:00 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 609 Likes on 379 Posts
Originally Posted by GB SISSON
....Look for (1912 8hp stover gas engine) . In the video it's running at about 75 rpms. Unlike my posts, the video is quite short. Probably because someone else made it.
It took me two hours to post a link to your video, because once I found it, I had to watch about 30 others... And Pete beat me to it anyway

Old 12-22-2014, 05:56 PM
Aus56
Elder User
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
It took me two hours to post a link to your video, because once I found it, I had to watch about 30 others... And Pete beat me to it anyway
Yes it is a trap getting involved with those Youtube videos, one inevitably leads to another and on it goes. I looked at this one after the one you mentioned and then others. I thought this was interesting, some people are amazing the things they come up with. I guess that gets back to the hobbies and skills we were talking about.

Old 12-22-2014, 06:09 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
Thanks guys! That radial engine is radical!. And some people say I have too much time on MY hands!

Old 12-22-2014, 06:20 PM
Aus56
Elder User
still going with that youtube stuff, thanks Ross and Effie, came across this one, Aussie 55 Chev with V12 Merlin engine. So many videos, so many people with a vivid imagination for amazing things to do to cars and motorbikes. This car is painted to represent a plane from WW2, with nose art and lines of rivets painted on. I understand he took it to America recently and toured a bunch of shows.

I just read in a magazine today he is building a Fiat Topolino altered style hotrod with a V12 engine from about a 1946 Le France fire truck. I think he may be the same bloke who built a speedster style hot rod with a V12 WW2 tank engine.

Old 12-23-2014, 12:12 AM
Aus56
Elder User
The bloke with the V12 55 Chevy is one of Australia's premier hot rod and modified car component builders. Here is the V12 speedster he built recently. I believe he also has a tough T coupe rat style rod.

Here is his speedster.

Old 12-23-2014, 06:10 AM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts
I know this music probably isn't most of you guys' cup of tea, but here is a video i just did last night.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/roj1U71s3wk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Quick Reply: OT: Hobbies, skills?