1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front pinion seal help?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 01:02 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Originally Posted by EXv10
That won't work here either, just do what I say and it will be fine. Can't feel a little drag?, it's really pretty simple. I'm done here since I am starting to see opposition.
Sun burn?

Sean

Old 12-20-2014, 07:30 AM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts
For a first timer fix I'm sure following an instruction set would be the best advice and I appreciate posting of the repair guide. I can see where a seasoned mechanic can get it done by "feel" after doing many of them. But for a first time repair to not use instructions I think is a little off base in advice.

Take changing brake pads and rotors. I could probably do it blindfolded now but the first time either needed instructions or a person who had done it multiple times showing me step be step how to get it done.

Thanks to anyone who has participated in this thread though. All info appreciated.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:07 AM
Bigpipes 35
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Follow Seans advice and you will be fine...

Old 12-20-2014, 12:51 PM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
I was trying to check the breather tube but it feels like it's connected somewhere inside the fully boxed front rail. Is something holding that in there?

Also the fluid level is slightly below the fill hole so at least there is still fluid in there and must not be any major leaking.

Old 12-20-2014, 05:29 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Ford at some point had one of the plastic "Pine Tree"
clips that held it and they also had a metal clip at
some point also. So what could be holding it is
a mystery.

Sean

Old 12-20-2014, 05:52 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigpipes 35
Follow Seans advice and you will be fine...
Sean is wrong because an inch pound wrench is for a bench rebuild and the drag disappears anyway but of course you wouldn't know that so why even post?

Old 12-20-2014, 05:54 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by MDSuperDuty
For a first timer fix I'm sure following an instruction set would be the best advice and I appreciate posting of the repair guide. I can see where a seasoned mechanic can get it done by "feel" after doing many of them. But for a first time repair to not use instructions I think is a little off base in advice.

Take changing brake pads and rotors. I could probably do it blindfolded now but the first time either needed instructions or a person who had done it multiple times showing me step be step how to get it done.

Thanks to anyone who has participated in this thread though. All info appreciated.
Not really, it isn't rocket science and not that hard.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:19 PM
Bigpipes 35
Cargo Master
Sean is wrong because an inch pound wrench is for a bench rebuild and the drag disappears anyway but of course you wouldn't know that so why even post?

Because what you don't get Brent is people that have never touched a ring and pinion have no idea what you are talking about with the slight drag. and most of the time you don't know what your talking about. A slight drag to one person is going to be totally different to the next. Maybe you should try to help somebody by giving them a way to do something that can be measured instead of well maybe a little drag is the proper setup. And you have no idea what I know or don't know so keep your assumptions to yourself...

Old 12-20-2014, 07:37 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Bigpipes 35
Because what you don't get Brent is people that have never touched a ring and pinion have no idea what you are talking about with the slight drag. and most of the time you don't know what your talking about. A slight drag to one person is going to be totally different to the next. Maybe you should try to help somebody by giving them a way to do something that can be measure instead of well maybe a little drag is the proper setup. And you have no idea what I know or don't know so keep your assumptions to yourself...
That's just ridiculous. OP; if you want to get away from these hecklers PM me and I will walk you through it. (It's not hard).

Old 12-20-2014, 09:26 PM
Bigpipes 35
Cargo Master
That's just ridiculous. OP; if you want to get away from these hecklers PM me and I will walk you through it. (It's not hard).

Yep the hecklers are giving you specs and procedures the other guy is saying just give a good feel and you will be fine, I am sensing opposition I am done with this thread ..

Old 12-20-2014, 10:41 PM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
EXv10,

I don't need a pm but thanks anyways. Are you saying the .pdf instructions provided are wrong?

I'm also just curious if I don't just have a blocked breather tube and was having trouble with it because it seems stuck in the front boxed frame horns. But no one picked up on that because they were to busy beating their chests and couldn't offer help or offer a solution on how to get that out..........

Old 12-20-2014, 10:52 PM
Bigpipes 35
Cargo Master
EXv10,

I don't need a pm but thanks anyways. Are you saying the .pdf instructions provided are wrong?

I'm also just curious if I don't just have a blocked breather tube and was having trouble with it because it seems stuck in the front boxed frame horns. But no one picked up on that because they were to busy beating their chests and couldn't offer help or offer a solution on how to get that out..........

Actually me and Sean picked up on that and he addressed it in post number 20, Could it be a blocked breather maybe but I think your reference to the pinion seal being bad is probably more likely..

Old 12-21-2014, 12:24 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Sorry I forgot to go into detail.

I guess you could cut the OETIKER clamp off
the nipple and use a hose clamp after.
Just take the hose off and blow to see if it's
plugged or not.

The Oetiker crimp tool is basically a blunt nosed nipper tool.

You should be able to pick up one if you want to use this vs a hose clamp
at a plumbing supply. I think the hose clamp would do and costs a lot less.

Sean

Old 12-21-2014, 06:53 AM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Thanks. I'll dig into again when I get a chance again......

I found a thread I posted back in 2011 about this pinion seal and that was when I purchased the truck and it had 26k/mi on it (now at 54k/mi). Sad that the seal would fail that soon. Again there was fluid in the axle so it must just be a small oozing leak.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1114832-pinion-seal.html

Old 12-21-2014, 07:14 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
EXv10,

Unfortunately there is a lot of mis-info on this thread already. There are specs, bulletins, etc for everything but this is an easy fix with a little guidance. Everybody brings up inch pound wrenches but they are totally not needed, partly because the bearing drag goes away anyway. Also; it's not your breather.

Quick Reply: Front pinion seal help?