Sponsored by:

Identified the problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 08:23 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Identified the problem

Hows it going folks! Been a longtime lurker of this section, post a lot in the 6.7 Powerstroke section. Here is my dilemma fellas, I'm married with no kids, but probably will start having kids in the next year. I own a 2013 F350 CCSB Tuned deleted and everything, a 2012 Ford Focus that has nothing done to it. I LOVE the Excursion and so does the wife, she wants something big to drive but doesn't want a truck. Money isn't TOO much of an issue, but I'd rather find a cheaper one that I can tear into. This will be the wife's primary driver so I will be looking for a 7.3. Please don't let this be a debate on how she should drive the Focus blah blah, We are getting an Excursion, I just have some questions for you guys.

So now that I have identified my problem that I do not own a Ford Excursion, I need to start gathering data which I have to an extent. My intent is to have something that she can drive for the next 10 years until something similar that is newer comes out from Ford that is diesel. What kind of things do I need to start looking for the purchase that I might not be able to get in say 6 months? Things that the Excursion will have is a 7.3L Powerstroke, 4 wheel Drive, Leather, Backup Sensors and everything else I can work around.

I would like to rebuild the 7.3L and the Transmission so I don't really have to worry about it other then just maintenance for the 10 years. This won't be no show truck, it will be used to haul children, hunting stuff and tow occasionally. If any of you guys have suggestions for what I need to start getting, lets start a list! 1 Item per person please!!!

Old 12-16-2014, 08:36 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
You need to keep in mind the 7.3 Ex will be 13-15 years old. So the entire vehicle often has close to 200k miles and STILL the asking prices are surprising high.
Find a low mileage 7.3 Ex, 4x4, Limited and it'll cost even more.
Check the sticky thread at the top of the forum for buying tips and common issues and their solutions.
Welcome to FTE and the Excursion addiction club.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:04 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honestly, you first big issue will just be finding a truck to start with. I see you are in Washington, and this listing is popping up for just north of Seattle...

Might be worth a look.

2000 Ford Excursion Limited ***7.3L DIESEL** 4X4 **LIFT WHEELS & TIRES

I have never seen the rig, so I have no idea what its issues are, if any.

Good luck!

Old 12-16-2014, 09:07 PM
aaedin
Senior User
The elusive and rare Eddie Bauer with the 7.3L.

'03 was the last year for the 7.3 in the Excursion, most of '03s have the 6.0. '03 was the year the Eddie Bauer's edition came out.

Just as Misky said, this has a ton of miles on it but they still want some coin. They know people like them 7.3s.

Cars for Sale: 2003 Ford Excursion 4WD Eddie Bauer in Burlington, WA 98223: Sport Utility Details - 387841336 - AutoTrader.com

Old 12-16-2014, 09:18 PM
Forest
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know you have a plan, but...

If you are planning on a 7.3L and tranny rebuild, why not consider about the same effort in making a 6.0L 'bullet proof'?

You would be able to find a lower mileage chassis and the 6.0L/Torqshift combo CAN be made really reliable.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:22 PM
aaedin
Senior User
Originally Posted by Forest

If you are planning on a 7.3L and tranny rebuild, why not consider about the same effort in making a 6.0L 'bullet proof'?

You would be able to find a lower mileage chassis and the 6.0L/Torqshift combo CAN be made really reliable.

Couldn't agree more. I'd rather have a sub-100k mile late production 6.0. Have it studded and other basic 6.0 mods and drive drive drive.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:24 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
It is hard to go wrong with a nicely built out 6.0!

Old 12-16-2014, 11:32 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I am not opposed to a high mileage vehicle. Like I said, I will take the dirtiest roughest city mile'd Ex, because I will be rebuilding the majority of it. I want to stay below 30k for the whole rebuild and everything else.

Well I have messed around, worked on, studded many a 6.0s, but there are a couple of things that I worry about. My wife ain't exactly tech savy, she wants to get in the vehicle, turn the key and go. Some of the things I worry about is if the batteries die and she keeps trying to start it and fries the FICM, If for some reason she is driving when we are towing and forgets to watch the EGTs, etc. I will admit, I do not have nearly enough seat time in a 6.0 unloaded or towing to really make a "fair" determination, but I just want her to be able to get in, drive it and not have to worry about making it happy. That being said, I am not opposed to a 6.0, but either way I go, the engine and transmission will be getting rebuilt. High mileage rigs don't scare me fellas! This sucker is gonna be rebuilt to last!! I can't wait either hahahaha!

Are the 6.0s like the trucks in that they are a lot cheaper then the 7.3s???

Old 12-17-2014, 12:18 AM
aaedin
Senior User
If you aren't worried about high mileage 7.3s, I'd take a close look at that one I posted above. If it all checks out, it'd be pretty neat to have a 7.3 eddie.

Regarding the 6.0, I'll quote a friend of mine on the Illinois forum, Clint-The-Great:
"Actually THIS community is very high on the 6.0. It was such a problem child that there is now so much info on it and how to deal with the issues that it is almost easier now to deal with."

I concur whole heartedly with his statement. bulletproofdiesel.com makes many fixes and tweaks for the 6.0. For example, here's some info on your FCIM concerns straight from their website:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTFRiDr-7o0#t=79

Old 12-17-2014, 07:22 AM
J ballan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

What he said.^^^^. I've drove both a 7.3 and a 6.0 and if you are planning on doing a bunch of work yourself I would go with the 6.0l. More power, nicer shifting tranny and you can find a 05 with the better looking front end. Good luck.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:17 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts

Either way you're dropping the same money to make either the 7.3 or 6.0 realiable, so you never have to think or worry about anything.

You'll spend around $2500-$3000 for a good, bulletproof transmission rebuild on a 4R100.

You'll spend close to $1000 at Riffraff Diesel in upgrades and other typical 7.3 parts.

On a 6.0, you'll spend the same $3500-4000 and never have to touch the transmission.

This is why when the time came, I bought myself the 2005 Excursion I have now, had it bulletproofed, and don't worry about it at all. All I do is drive the **** out of it with a huge smile on my face.

Some more reading for you here, post #11:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post14657237

Old 12-17-2014, 05:27 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
The '05 front end is much better, in my opinion. Every other year excursion looks like a 2000 to me.

Old 12-17-2014, 05:47 PM
Immortal_Ben
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Yep, if you are not opposed to the 6.0, then bulletproof it and benefit from newer, fewer miles, and better technology. You really can't go wrong either way.

There is a sticky up top for buying an Excursion.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:44 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 834 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by Tofan
I LOVE the Excursion and so does the wife, she wants something big to drive but doesn't want a truck. Money isn't TOO much of an issue, but I'd rather find a cheaper one that I can tear into. This will be the wife's primary driver. Please don't let this be a debate on how she should drive the Focus blah blah, We are getting an Excursion, I just have some questions for you guys.

So now that I have identified my problem that I do not own a Ford Excursion, I need to start gathering data which I have to an extent. My intent is to have something that she can drive for the next 10 years until something similar that is newer comes out from Ford. What kind of things do I need to start looking for the purchase that I might not be able to get in say 6 months? Things that the Excursion will have is 4 wheel Drive, Leather, Backup Sensors and everything else I can work around.

I would like to rebuild the Transmission so I don't really have to worry about it other then just maintenance for the 10 years. This won't be no show truck, it will be used to haul children, hunting stuff and tow occasionally. If any of you guys have suggestions for what I need to start getting, lets start a list! 1 Item per person please!!!
Originally Posted by Tofan
I am not opposed to a high mileage vehicle. Like I said, I will take the dirtiest roughest city mile'd Ex, because I will be rebuilding the majority of it. I want to stay below 30k for the whole rebuild and everything else.

Well here are a couple of things that I worry about. My wife ain't exactly tech savy, she wants to get in the vehicle, turn the key and go. I just want her to be able to get in, drive it and not have to worry about making it happy. That being said, Either way I go, the engine and transmission will be getting rebuilt. High mileage rigs don't scare me fellas! This sucker is gonna be rebuilt to last!! I can't wait either hahahaha!

With very little editing it looks like a V-10 would be perfect for you!

Old 12-17-2014, 08:56 PM
thx997303
Senior User
I would agree with the above. Diesels are great, but they definitely require more attention, maintenance, and know how to drive.

You pretty well do not just get in a diesel and go. But you drive one right? You should know this. I wouldn't put my wife in a diesel. She would melt it down in a heart beat. She, like many other women I know (not representative, I'm not misogynistic.) treat the throttle and brakes as on/off switches.

Quick Reply: Identified the problem