1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

OT What do you guys know about snow plows?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 04:54 PM
Whirnot
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EffieTrucker

Okay, since we're on the subject of snow and ice, how did you learn to drive in the snow?

My dad took me to an empty factory parking lot, covered with snow and ice, and had me do donuts, lock-ups, wipe-outs, and hard take-offs.

When I got that out of my system, he taught me how to take-off easy, brake properly and corner carefully. His point being I now knew how the car was going to react to the slick road conditions.

That may have been the most fun thing we ever did together .
I spent hours on end in empty parking lots, doing donuts or simple oval tracks. the best way to learn to drive in the snow.

Old 12-19-2014, 04:58 PM
Whirnot
New User
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe
Well, if we move into an area that snows, we won't need anything to move it for a few months, as we'd be moving in warm weather. I'm sure the locals would be able to tell us what to expect.

For a plow, I sort of like the idea of the ATV. Small enough to store and powerful enough to do a driveway.

Good to know about blowers. That's another thing I didn't know.

If you get any significant snow, An ATV just doesn't cut it. about 6 inches and it becomes a real chore. Been There. That's is why we just bought a Kubota Side by Side diesel with heated and A/C cab, and full hydraulic plow. Now snow is fun........

Old 12-19-2014, 05:08 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Whirnot
If you get any significant snow, An ATV just doesn't cut it. about 6 inches and it becomes a real chore. Been There. That's is why we just bought a Kubota Side by Side diesel with heated and A/C cab, and full hydraulic plow. Now snow is fun........
I see you're in Colorado. I've been to Colorado many times. I was actually stationed in Denver for radar tech school during the last century...

And I appreciate your input, but the weather in Denver (you know, if you don't like the weather, just wait a minute) would preclude me from living in the beautiful state of Colorado. You get way too much snow for me.

Old 12-19-2014, 05:54 PM
Elmo4895
Senior User
Originally Posted by EffieTrucker

Okay, since we're on the subject of snow and ice, how did you learn to drive in the snow?

My dad took me to an empty factory parking lot, covered with snow and ice, and had me do donuts, lock-ups, wipe-outs, and hard take-offs.

When I got that out of my system, he taught me how to take-off easy, brake properly and corner carefully. His point being I now knew how the car was going to react to the slick road conditions.

That may have been the most fun thing we ever did together .
f

I learned by being assigned to northern Maine when I was in the Air Force. I had a new VW but no money for snow tires. Went the first winter without getting stuck. Not a lot of difference from driving in mud.
Elmo

Old 12-20-2014, 09:12 AM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
I didn't read through this thread, but my old F6 dumptruck had a plow on it. It was the plow for Ely, MN back in its day. It only had thick plate bosses on a piece of steel mounted under the frame. It then had the overhead cable setup like Bob showed. But in today's day and age, I'd mount a manual angle plow to a carriage underneath similar to my old truck, with an ATV winch mounted on a "Bull-bar" front and above to lift it up and down. Just don't go into contract work, do just your own driveway, keep the pads on so it doesn't bite into the dirt, causing it to bend over... which springs should be on the back of the blade for just that. The F4 frame is the same size as the F5 and F6, just without the double wall behind the cab. Also, my F6 was 2wd, and it was the weight of sand in the dump box, and tirechains, that made it work.

I had planned to make an F4 into a 4x4 plow truck, too.... just hadn't found the frame to use. And may go a different direction now.

Meanwhile, my Golden Jubilee tractor does just fine.

Attached Images  
Old 12-20-2014, 09:32 AM
David7.3
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I dont know about your area but here in jersey they plow the side streets at 30 plus, when your clearing your sidewalk and you HEAR that plow coming, you run. They dont slow for nothing, and with a 15 yard salter in the back, thats alot of mass

Old 12-20-2014, 10:34 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by havi
I didn't read through this thread, but my old F6 dumptruck had a plow on it. It was the plow for Ely, MN back in its day. It only had thick plate bosses on a piece of steel mounted under the frame. It then had the overhead cable setup like Bob showed. But in today's day and age, I'd mount a manual angle plow to a carriage underneath similar to my old truck, with an ATV winch mounted on a "Bull-bar" front and above to lift it up and down. Just don't go into contract work, do just your own driveway, keep the pads on so it doesn't bite into the dirt, causing it to bend over... which springs should be on the back of the blade for just that. The F4 frame is the same size as the F5 and F6, just without the double wall behind the cab. Also, my F6 was 2wd, and it was the weight of sand in the dump box, and tirechains, that made it work.

I had planned to make an F4 into a 4x4 plow truck, too.... just hadn't found the frame to use. And may go a different direction now.

Meanwhile, my Golden Jubilee tractor does just fine.
If you had read the whole thread, you would have seen me state several times that I didn't know anything about this topic (before the thread got so long).

So my question Havi, is that plow lift on your tractor electric, hydraulic, running off a PTO or what? I'm assuming the tractor is still 6 volts?

I keep telling myself I'll have a tractor like that someday.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:36 AM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
hydraulic up and down to the front cylinder, via the selectrol valve under the seat. 6 volt, no electrical anything for the plow.

Old 12-27-2014, 03:23 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
A lot depends on the terrain too. If you live in the mountains or hills 2WD will be a pain in the But in the flat lands your F4 should do the job with chains 90% of the time.

I like snow and have plowed with a lot of different vehicles from the age of 15. For areas with a long run like a supermarket parking lot or highways in most areas of the country 2WD is OK. But for driveways maneuverability is important so I have used Ford and John Deere tractors here in Michigan.

Snow blowers are great but as ET says, not in heavy, wet snow.

A snow blower works great in most snow but in the wet snow it clogs up and is a real pain.

So when I bought my new John Deere 2520 I just bought a snow plow - no blower.

But we had so much snow last year I switched back to the bucket so I could stack the snow 10 feet high in some places.

Old 12-27-2014, 06:09 PM
DR Smith
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
If you are going to move why in hell would you move where you need a snow plow ?

Old 12-27-2014, 06:18 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Originally Posted by DR Smith
If you are going to move why in hell would you move where you need a snow plow ?
That was what I was kind of thinking

Old 12-27-2014, 06:45 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by DR Smith
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
That was what I was kind of thinking
I don't know that I will need a snow plow or a snow blower or snow shovel. Or sand. Or salt.

I don't know where I'm moving to yet. I just started the thread to learn something about the subject, since I haven't lived in a place where snow removal is required since I was 10 years old. And that was the middle of the last century, before the government decided we have global warming or climate change or whatever the buzz word for weather is this week.

In case I move someplace that snows in the winter, I wanted to get an idea of what I would be up against if I HAD to get out of my house. The answers were given several times in this thread, and I have learned a lot.

So it doesn't snow where I currently live. But I'm not going to stay in the state where I grew up and have lived for nearly 60 years. Because this state has become unstable and unfriendly to businesses and taxpayers, and will probably be bankrupt in 5 years. And the state government sees it coming and can't seem to figure out why or do anything to stop it. Except raise my taxes. I choose to live somewhere where it might snow to escape this state. And wherever it is that I move, it will not have 1/10th of the US population.

And, it will have lots of trees.

And it will be closer to Truckstock. So now, there's a good reason!

Old 12-27-2014, 06:56 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Joe move to a condo and have someone do all the snow removal for you. That would be my choice but maybe not my wife's. Unfortunately, I'll be stuck in this winter hell for the rest of my life, two seasons hot and bugs, and cold.

Old 12-27-2014, 07:21 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
Joe move to a condo and have someone do all the snow removal for you. That would be my choice but maybe not my wife's. Unfortunately, I'll be stuck in this winter hell for the rest of my life, two seasons hot and bugs, and cold.
I am truly sorry your stuck Bob. I can't live in a condo. I would have neighbors in the same building. No, I can't do that. Where would I keep my dogs? Or my car and truck(s)?

I want 10 to 20 acres. That will be close enough to my neighbors. Probably require a ride mower. Or a tractor.

I want a big shop, maybe 50 x 100 and really tall with a 4 post lift. And the cool part is, my wife wants me to have that big shop.

We want to build our dream house, and when the price for houses goes up a bit more in beautiful, desirable, Sunny Southern California, we'll be able to afford those things.

Old 12-27-2014, 07:30 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Joe, what you will get for your CA home you'll be able to buy a palatial estate in any other part of the country with money left over for more toys. My wife watches the house hunter shows and for what people in CA and NY pay for a closet you can get a four bedroom with acreage in any other part of the country. Just keep to the south, I guarantee no matter how much some people love the snow you will grow to hate the cold and snow in a very short time.

Quick Reply: OT What do you guys know about snow plows?