1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Door panels

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 02:31 AM
drpaul311
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Door panels

my truck is a 1996 f350 crew cab with the burgundy interior. the front door panels are toast, to say the least. I cannot find door panels anywhere. I went on to ebay a few months ago and bought a pair for the front doors. unbeknownst to me, I did not realize that the door panels I bought were for a two door truck. so I have door panels that I cant use.

any ideas/thoughts as to where to get door panels? also, since they are all cracked and beat up, in the event I cant find new panels, would fibeglassing the backs of the current panels where they are all cracked up, will that strengthen them and help hold them together?

thanks everyone.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:48 AM
mjunk1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is my biggest issue with my truck. I hate all that plastic and it rattles and cracks every time i tur around. I tried epoxy on the back of some of the cracks but it didn't hold, so I am convinced there is nothing that is really going to solve it.

My tact is to have gotten 2 manual crank doors (thanks again Nate) and I am going to make a custom panel that will hold my revolver, flashlight, handcuffs (just kidding), etc. I like manual windows and I can fab the panel pretty easily. I'll keep the rear doors with electric and wire a couple of toggle switched for rolling them down from the front. I think I can make things match fairly well and be rid of the plastic up front. Probably won't get to it for a while, but that is the plan.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:54 AM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Have you looked at rock auto? I'm pretty sure I saw a set for the front doors for under 300, for a 4door with power windows. .

Old 12-16-2014, 11:12 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Can also get from LMC I believe.

Old 12-16-2014, 01:29 PM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
I'm in the same boat as well, only I need a whole new door. The thin panel that holds the door handle sheered off. PITA to open the door. Usually I just roll the window down and unlock from the outside. Window motor is going out, so it get's sketchy sometimes, gotta make sure I don't roll it down too far!

Old 12-16-2014, 01:46 PM
drpaul311
Senior User
Originally Posted by ProjectDually
Have you looked at rock auto? I'm pretty sure I saw a set for the front doors for under 300, for a 4door with power windows. .

as in rock auto.com...?

I don't think LMC sells them to whomever suggested it. I have looked but I will look again.

I have done some amazing things with fiberglass and that stuff is very strong. if I cant find a pair, I will try fiberglass.

Old 12-16-2014, 02:07 PM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Originally Posted by drpaul311
as in rock auto.com...?

I don't think LMC sells them to whomever suggested it. I have looked but I will look again.

I have done some amazing things with fiberglass and that stuff is very strong. if I cant find a pair, I will try fiberglass.
RockAuto Parts Catalog

A little under 400, I have seen them cheaper elsewhere, I just don't remember right now. It's somewhere buried in the mess I call my bookmarks right now.

Old 12-16-2014, 03:34 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ProjectDually
I'm in the same boat as well, only I need a whole new door. The thin panel that holds the door handle sheered off. PITA to open the door. Usually I just roll the window down and unlock from the outside. Window motor is going out, so it get's sketchy sometimes, gotta make sure I don't roll it down too far!
There are threads on some of the various truck forums describing how to repair that part of the door. This happens because the cable attached to the handle stretches, and rather than adjust/replace the cable, the user typically just pulls harder on the handle, eventually breaking the door. Dealing with the cable in the first place avoids the damage to the door.

Old 12-16-2014, 06:01 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by drpaul311
my truck is a 1996 f350 crew cab with the burgundy interior. the front door panels are toast, to say the least. I cannot find door panels anywhere. I went on to ebay a few months ago and bought a pair for the front doors. unbeknownst to me, I did not realize that the door panels I bought were for a two door truck. so I have door panels that I cant use.

any ideas/thoughts as to where to get door panels? also, since they are all cracked and beat up, in the event I cant find new panels, would fibeglassing the backs of the current panels where they are all cracked up, will that strengthen them and help hold them together?

thanks everyone.

You can use the 2 door panels. You just need to scavenge your 4 door window bolster and put it on the 2 door one. Less than an hour project

Or spend $500+ on the overlay ones
http://coverlaymfg.com/lookup.html?c...ree=Door+Panel

Old 12-16-2014, 06:16 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
You can use the 2 door panels. You just need to scavenge your 4 door window bolster and put it on the 2 door one. Less than an hour project Or spend $500+ on the overlay ones http://coverlaymfg.com/lookup.html?c...ree=Door+Panel
those are the same ones rock auto sells for 430

Old 12-16-2014, 09:14 PM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by MOOSE_MACHINE
those are the same ones rock auto sells for 430
$370 for NEW made in USA ain't too bad in my book. Plus they have more colors available than stock.

If anyone uses or has used them, please post here. I'm curious on fit and quality.

I was planning to go through the whole plastic paint process to get my inerior black, but this may save some time.

Im sure they don't carry rear panels though...

Old 12-16-2014, 10:50 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by OldWoodsDiesel
$370 for NEW made in USA ain't too bad in my book. Plus they have more colors available than stock. If anyone uses or has used them, please post here. I'm curious on fit and quality. I was planning to go through the whole plastic paint process to get my inerior black, but this may save some time. Im sure they don't carry rear panels though...
that darn canadian difference is 60 bucks

Old 12-17-2014, 04:08 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
But they still don't match the truck

He already owns matching ones for FREE

Old 12-17-2014, 06:46 AM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Originally Posted by madpogue
There are threads on some of the various truck forums describing how to repair that part of the door. This happens because the cable attached to the handle stretches, and rather than adjust/replace the cable, the user typically just pulls harder on the handle, eventually breaking the door. Dealing with the cable in the first place avoids the damage to the door.
It happened a about a week after I bought it. And my door panel was messed up too. I'm thinking I just need to find a used complete door. That will be the simple and easiest route ATM.

Old 12-17-2014, 01:02 PM
drpaul311
Senior User
Cool

Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
You can use the 2 door panels. You just need to scavenge your 4 door window bolster and put it on the 2 door one. Less than an hour project

Or spend $500+ on the overlay ones
Coverlay Interior Accessories Catalog - Dashboard Covers, Instrument, Door and Kick Panels

thank you for the idea. my problem is however, that gizmo is broke. i now will have mounting issues for my window switch because it broke. that is why i bought them.

speaking of buying them, these are tan and are in really good shape. i paid $250 plus shipping if somebody is interested. i was going to paint them, but noticing they are the two door, and mine is broke, i just want my money back that i spent on them.

Quick Reply: Door panels