6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Heated Seats...Need some help.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 08:50 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Heated Seats...Need some help.

Ok, I am venturing into this project not only for me, but for everybody else who's truck didn't come with heated seats and they want them. I am not talking about the cheap aftermarket stuff you have to drill the truck to install. I am talking Ford Factory baby.

Before you guys shake your heads and sigh and nod, keep in mind this can be done and for a lot cheaper then some of you think. I figured out that you can upgrade to the super deluxe Auto Dual Climate Control by just changing faceplates that includes Heated and Cooled seats button. Both of which are already fused or I assume, since the lights come on when I press the buttons.

This is where I am "somewhat" stuck. I got the part numbers for the pads for both driver and passenger seats, and what I believe is the "wiring harness". What I'm confused about is, is there a module underneath the seat that controls the heating pads? Also what about the Thermistor? Obviously if I had an example truck that I could look at things I would be able to figure it out. Has anybody done any tearing into their truck at all just to see like me???

I had a wiring diagram awhile ago, but beyond basic diagram reading skills, I can't read it. Soldering ability is top notch as is my "tinkering" ability, I just need some help.

Basically this is what's in my mind.

Heated Seat Switch on Dash gets power from battery or other power source. Then it sends power to the module and thermistor which work accordingly with the heated seat pads. Once the seats get to a specific temperature, the module turns off until it goes below the set temperature for the circuit to work.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:03 AM
BlackBeest
More Turbo
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Tofan
Ok, I am venturing into this project not only for me, but for everybody else who's truck didn't come with heated seats and they want them. I am not talking about the cheap aftermarket stuff you have to drill the truck to install. I am talking Ford Factory baby.

Before you guys shake your heads and sigh and nod, keep in mind this can be done and for a lot cheaper then some of you think. I figured out that you can upgrade to the super deluxe Auto Dual Climate Control by just changing faceplates that includes Heated and Cooled seats button. Both of which are already fused or I assume, since the lights come on when I press the buttons.

This is where I am "somewhat" stuck. I got the part numbers for the pads for both driver and passenger seats, and what I believe is the "wiring harness". What I'm confused about is, is there a module underneath the seat that controls the heating pads? Also what about the Thermistor? Obviously if I had an example truck that I could look at things I would be able to figure it out. Has anybody done any tearing into their truck at all just to see like me???

I had a wiring diagram awhile ago, but beyond basic diagram reading skills, I can't read it. Soldering ability is top notch as is my "tinkering" ability, I just need some help.

Basically this is what's in my mind.

Heated Seat Switch on Dash gets power from battery or other power source. Then it sends power to the module and thermistor which work accordingly with the heated seat pads. Once the seats get to a specific temperature, the module turns off until it goes below the set temperature for the circuit to work.
Once again, Matt, an adventurous upgrade you're undertaking there, can't wait to see you get it all ironed out and enjoying. The only thing I can try to help with, and maybe you didn't mean it to come out that way, but my seats don't "cycle" on or off dependent on temp, that I've ever been able to detect. They reach the temp selected on the 3-position switch and hold there.

Dunno if that helps you understanding the system any better or not, just putting it out there

Old 12-15-2014, 11:11 AM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 3,999 Likes on 1,600 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackBeest
Once again, Matt, an adventurous upgrade you're undertaking there, can't wait to see you get it all ironed out and enjoying. The only thing I can try to help with, and maybe you didn't mean it to come out that way, but my seats don't "cycle" on or off dependent on temp, that I've ever been able to detect. They reach the temp selected on the 3-position switch and hold there.

Dunno if that helps you understanding the system any better or not, just putting it out there
I would agree.........Appears to be a set current flow, therefore a set heat output.

Old 12-15-2014, 11:29 AM
King_Kong_01
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackBeest

How can you tell whether the power cycles on/off or not?
Have you actually measured the current drawn by the heating element, or just looked at the lights on the switch?

BJ

Old 12-15-2014, 12:01 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 3,999 Likes on 1,600 Posts
The heat output stays very steady.....

Did not throw a meter or scope on the ckt.

Old 12-15-2014, 12:57 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The factory heated seats are controlled from the console screen rather than a switch as I understand it..
I have been looking for the best option here as well and so far, the best (non Mickey-Mouse) setup I have seen comes from these folks:

https://www.heatyourseat.com

Most of the aftermarket setups are a couple of small carbon fiber pads and a short lead to a Low/off/high switch that youinstall in the seat base. Exactly NOT what I want.. Do I have eyes that can see the position of that switch whilst driving down the road? Not bloodly likely...
Give me a dash mounted switch that I can see and control - one for each seat...

Old 12-15-2014, 01:31 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Big-Foot
The factory heated seats are controlled from the console screen rather than a switch as I understand it..
I have been looking for the best option here as well and so far, the best (non Mickey-Mouse) setup I have seen comes from these folks:

https://www.heatyourseat.com

Most of the aftermarket setups are a couple of small carbon fiber pads and a short lead to a Low/off/high switch that youinstall in the seat base. Exactly NOT what I want.. Do I have eyes that can see the position of that switch whilst driving down the road? Not bloodly likely...
Give me a dash mounted switch that I can see and control - one for each seat...
The rear seats have a button in each rear door for control.

Old 12-15-2014, 02:05 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 69cj
The rear seats have a button in each rear door for control.
Good to know, but I'm not really looking to warm any back-seat butts at this point..

Old 12-15-2014, 02:28 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
2011 it was a button on the dash. My 2015 it is controlled on the radio/nav touchscreen.

When mine turn on I can hear a click under the seat and it almost sounds like a fan turning on. I have A/C seats as well. Not that I have much use for those in Alaska.

My back seats in the 2015 are buttons in the door and they get a lot of use from my kids. Plus, as someone on the forum pointed out, if you don't have people back there, put your jacket in the backseat and turn on the seat warmers... (I also leave gloves and a hat on them too...)

Old 12-15-2014, 09:54 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Yeah the 2011s and 2012s have buttons on the dash. The one that I have has the button on the dash and also have the cooled seats. Cooled seats are so far away if I plan to do that at all. I just need to know if there is a module that controls the seats. I have looked on almost every Ford Parts site that I can look. I really appreciate it, I will post a picture of what I have so far along with a video. Thanks guys! If anybody could take a picture of underneath their seat that would be awesome! I am looking for a module that controls the heated seats only! So if you ONLY have heated seats that would be a plus!!!

Old 12-16-2014, 08:58 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Hey maybe I was a little confusing in my post. You guys with Heated and Cooled seats will STILL work. I will just have to do the research to figure out what is what. They have to have the same parts in either trucks, I can't imagine them making a heat seat only module and a heated/cooled module or a cooled seats only module if that even exists. You guys are great really!

Old 12-18-2014, 11:45 AM
fordboy2
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Subscribing as I am thinking of taking on the Same undertaking.

Old 12-18-2014, 01:46 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,072 Likes on 2,218 Posts
I don't know what shot you are looking for, but here is some I just took for you. If you want something else, let me know. I have the heated and cooled seats and yes, I know my filters are dirty

Old 12-18-2014, 02:05 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Nice pictures Andre!!!!

Hey - if you phart, it may clean out those filters!!!!

....or would it just make the fan spin backwards???.

So I believe that the cooling is handled via Peltier effect chips but the heating would be done by heating elements or carbon fiber panels.. Still it would all be most likely controlled by the body control module.. IE you ain't doing anything without having that programmed...

Old 12-18-2014, 02:40 PM
BlackBeest
More Turbo
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
****, our seats have filters?? I know mine are filthy then

Quick Reply: Heated Seats...Need some help.