6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Ford factory auto start

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 06:06 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Thinking about this more, maybe the antenna cable or connection got loose or frayed/cut?

Old 12-14-2014, 07:42 PM
rtazz17
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dakster
Thinking about this more, maybe the antenna cable or connection got loose or frayed/cut?
Well if it is either of those its been like that for 2.5 yrs since the day it rolled off the lot new... Once I actually find it ill know better..If I actually find it..It does appear by the posts here that some are in the same boat as me.No distance to it and finicky with buttons.While others appear to have no problems.I get the same distance with the door locks as I do the starter so maybe its the fob?Unless the same antennae is for starter and locks...

Old 12-14-2014, 08:34 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by rtazz17
Well if it is either of those its been like that for 2.5 yrs since the day it rolled off the lot new... Once I actually find it ill know better..If I actually find it..It does appear by the posts here that some are in the same boat as me.No distance to it and finicky with buttons.While others appear to have no problems.I get the same distance with the door locks as I do the starter so maybe its the fob?Unless the same antennae is for starter and locks...
Dude look up my post on how to potentially remedy this fix!!!

BLUF: Take apart your key fob and remove the battery. Clean off the clear stuff off the battery contact and wipe the battery down. Put battery back in and try it!

I had this problem for the first two weeks of owning the truck. I took it back to the dealer and they would stand 5 feet away and get it to work. Well it would be hit and miss for me, it got so bad I would have to stand right next to the truck and click it to work. Well I was just messing around with it after they said, well we tried to fix it blah blah blah. I did what I said above and it works great. I even did it to my new keys when I got them after installing the remote start.

Old 12-14-2014, 10:05 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rtazz17
I have the ford factory auto start.(came with the truck)Problem is it only works from about 30 feet away.About as far as the door unlock button will work.. Obviously this is just about useless to me since when Im working my truck is atleast 80 ft away.. Other guys in the firehouse (work) laugh as they sit at the kitchen table and start their trucks.. Ive already changed the keyfob battery with a brand new one.Even checked voltage on it.Is there a antennae somewhere under the dash that could be the problem or is this all I can expect out of this.If so its useless to say the least.
The OEM key is short range. Ford designed it that way. Look up any Ford literature, hero cards, etc for the key head remote start and it is advertised as maximum 300'. That is clear, unobstructed line of sight with a brand new battery.

I've seen tinted windows cut the range in half. Any other obstructions such as walls, metal, whatever... will cut it even further. Sorry, but there's no way around it. It will always have the same range as your lock/unlock buttons.

The antenna is always behind and above the glove box. It's bolted into two brackets if you look directly above the glove box, and it's plugged into the TPMS module on the far passenger's side of the dash. I can almost guarantee you that there's no problem with the antenna. If there was any issue with the antenna, the remote start would completely fail to function at all.

Ford has 3 other options for remote start that are dealer add-ons and will reach out much further than the key. Two are long range, and one is from the cell phone. All systems are designed to work together, so you can mix and match how you see fit. The two long range ones are advertised at up to 1000' range, and they usually get that pretty much any time. Only time I've seen that range cut down by quite a bit is if I'm in an all metal building.

The remote access from the cell phone has unlimited range as long as both your phone has a signal, and the truck has a signal. So if you're in a rural area, don't bother as it works off cell tower data connections, and most rural areas don't have that great of coverage. But if you're in a more populated area with a larger data network coverage, then it works fantastic. The kit is kinda expensive, and there's a $50 a year service charge.

Anything else is aftermarket and not OEM. Problem with aftermarket is that you are at the mercy of whoever is installing it. If they short cut or don't do it right, you'll always have problems both with the remote start and the truck. A few weeks ago I dealt with a guy that had a system put on aftermarket, and the PATS module would no longer program correctly. Those aftermarket installers love to use Scotch-Locks and cheap relays. 9 out of 10 installs I come across make me cringe.

So pick your poison. Stick with the OE key and deal with short range, get a long range kit from your Ford dealer, or go aftermarket and cross your fingers hoping for the best.

Old 12-14-2014, 10:16 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
what are the part numbers for the other 2 long range kits?

Old 12-14-2014, 10:38 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Telling you man, before you spend some money, take the key fob apart and wipe the battery gel protectant from the battery terminals. They helped me and many other people, trying it is free.

Old 12-15-2014, 12:03 AM
Dakster
Lead Driver
I don't have an issue, just wondered what those part numbers were. Was thinking of looking at the one that uses the cell phone. SO I could remote start before I left the mall. Seeing as I typically park far away from any other vehicles if I Can.

Typically, I remote start, and I can do it from inside my house, but I still have to go out and chip ice off the windows before I can leave anyways. Remote start doesn't get the truck warm enough to melt the ice off the entire windshield, much less the side windows...

Old 12-15-2014, 12:17 AM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Oh my bad man! Thought you were the OP. I am getting tired! Got out there with the axe and maul today and cut some wood!

Old 12-15-2014, 02:53 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 83 Likes on 16 Posts
My fob works great across parking lots, but I have a problem every once in a while in my garage 20 feet away. I think my problem is the key sequence with XL hands..I too would like a way of starting the vehicle from a longer distance. I like the idea of the app...thanks for mentioning it.

Old 12-15-2014, 06:18 AM
Gearitis
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting here as My 11 remote starts from about 150 feet easily thru walls. I work in a basement of a historical building and the walls are 18 inches of solid Rock/concrete. I am about 100 feet from my truck and I can start it from my office thru the thick walls. At Nascar Races, I can start it from well over 100 yards out in the parking lot. I would sure look at doing simple things first such as clean off the battery or even put in a new one.

Old 12-15-2014, 06:42 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Dakster
what are the part numbers for the other 2 long range kits?
Here ya go!

Long Range One-Way:
DL3Z19A361A (base security/control module)
EL3Z19G364B (long range antenna & 2 FOBs)

Long Range Bi-Directional (FOB will flash and beep with successful remote start):
DL3Z15603C (long range antenna)
DL3Z15K601A (one bi-directional FOB, you can add additional FOBs if you want more than one)

Remote Access (remote start from Android/iPhone):
DL3Z19A390B (RMU cell phone receiver)

For trucks without remote start from the factory, you must also include the RFR antenna, part number: DA8Z15603A.

A small number of trucks (typically base models) came from production without a hood switch. If your truck does not have a hood switch, you'll need to add it with this kit, part number: BC3Z19G366A

When Ford switched to the 2nd generation long range plug-and-play kits, they upgraded them to all include an alarm system along with remote start, so you're actually getting 2 kits in one. The security/control module has an adjustable 2-stage shock sensor that functions with the factory perimeter alarm to give you a full alarm system. You can even add an LED light with any of the above kits to flash when the system arms, part number: DM5Z19D596A

With remote access, you can set the system to email or text your phone when the alarm is triggered. It will tell you if a door was opened or if the shock sensor was set off. That feature is included with the subscription.

Those are the Ford OEM options for longer range remote start systems. All of them are plug-in systems that require zero wire splicing, and covered by Ford warranty: remainder of the 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty, or 2 years/unlimited miles, whichever provides the greatest benefit to the customer.

Installing these kits on vehicles with the factory remote start on the key is simple and doesn't require IDS. However, if you're putting this on a truck without factory remote start already on the key, the system must have IDS turn on remote start. Also, the Remote Access kit does require dealer activation of the RMU cell phone receiver in order to function and connect to your cell phone.

Hope this info helps.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:55 AM
sledhead_24_7
Tuned
My 2015 remote start/door unlock barely works from 20 ft. Has never worked good since I bought it. Had the dealer look it over seemed to help gig out to 50 ft now it's back down.

Called them the other day said this is B.S. Get ahold of Ford and find out what is causing this issue. Since Ford is running the remote start through the TPMS modual there is lots to diagnose before out right replacement but sounds like there is a issue there.

My 2011 would work from at least 100yards.

From the sound if it Ford has kits to get "extra" range. But for us with 20-30 ft range we have problems that need to be fixed. Then if we want to upgrade then great.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:57 AM
sledhead_24_7
Tuned
Pocket, thank you for that information.

We needed that

Old 12-15-2014, 10:10 AM
rtazz17
Fleet Mechanic

Originally Posted by Pocket
Here ya go!

Long Range One-Way:
EL3Z19G364B (long range antenna & 2 FOBs)

Long Range Bi-Directional (FOB will flash and beep with successful remote start):
DL3Z15603C (long range antenna)
DL3Z15K601A (one bi-directional FOB, you can add additional FOBs if you want more than one)

Remote Access (remote start from Android/iPhone):
DL3Z19A390B (RMU cell phone receiver)

For trucks without remote start from the factory, you must also include the RFR antenna, part number: DA8Z15603A.

A small number of trucks (typically base models) came from production without a hood switch. If your truck does not have a hood switch, you'll need to add it with this kit, part number: BC3Z19G366A

When Ford switched to the 2nd generation long range plug-and-play kits, they upgraded them to all include an alarm system along with remote start, so you're actually getting 2 kits in one. The security/control module has an adjustable 2-stage shock sensor that functions with the factory perimeter alarm to give you a full alarm system. You can even add an LED light with any of the above kits to flash when the system arms, part number: DM5Z19D596A

With remote access, you can set the system to email or text your phone when the alarm is triggered. It will tell you if a door was opened or if the shock sensor was set off. That feature is included with the subscription.

Those are the Ford OEM options for longer range remote start systems. All of them are plug-in systems that require zero wire splicing, and covered by Ford warranty: remainder of the 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty, or 2 years/unlimited miles, whichever provides the greatest benefit to the customer.

Installing these kits on vehicles with the factory remote start on the key is simple and doesn't require IDS. However, if you're putting this on a truck without factory remote start already on the key, the system must have IDS turn on remote start. Also, the Remote Access kit does require dealer activation of the RMU cell phone receiver in order to function and connect to your cell phone.

Hope this info helps.
Thanks for the info on this..Ill checkit out...I really like the iphone deal cuz you know if it actually started but Im not sure I like the yearly fee.Truck is garaged at home and I only need the auto start maybe 20 times at work during the winter..Your right I dont like the idea of an aftermarket kit installation with potential issues..

Tofan I will take a look at fob and do this today and see what it does..

Old 12-15-2014, 10:14 AM
rtazz17
Fleet Mechanic

Originally Posted by Tofan
Dude look up my post on how to potentially remedy this fix!!!

BLUF: Take apart your key fob and remove the battery. Clean off the clear stuff off the battery contact and wipe the battery down. Put battery back in and try it!

I had this problem for the first two weeks of owning the truck. I took it back to the dealer and they would stand 5 feet away and get it to work. Well it would be hit and miss for me, it got so bad I would have to stand right next to the truck and click it to work. Well I was just messing around with it after they said, well we tried to fix it blah blah blah. I did what I said above and it works great. I even did it to my new keys when I got them after installing the remote start.
What takes off the clear crap? Rubbing alcohol?

Quick Reply: Ford factory auto start