Sponsored by: DP Tuner

99 psd. problems 911 please help

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 08:54 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 psd. problems 911 please help

Hey guys. Got a long story for ya gonna try and make it short!

I was on my way to sale my 03 3.8 base model Mustang today! IV been asking 6500$. I was setting at a red light when someone ran the light and another driver went to miss them and hit me....... completely totaled my car!
anyway for some reason the guy had no insurance - I'm good friends with the police in my area and they basically said -if they wrote a ticket they wear gonna arrest him and suspended his drivers license on the spot...... I felt bad for the guy - he had a 9mth pregnant wife and 2 Lil girls in the car..... so I talked with the cops and asked what would happen if they did not write a ticket and they said they would let it go but his car would be towed..... but it may make it hard for me to file a case against him in cort..... I only have liability so my insurance isn't gonna help.....

While I was talking with the cops the driver comes up and says that he has no money and no way to pay for repairs or damages but has something he can offer up as payment...... I told him it was unlikely but shoot......

He starts to tell me about this truck he has on Craigslist.... He is asking 7500$ for it and it has a tone of stuff done to it...... After listening to everything he had to say - I asked him for the Craigslist info so I can look it up [wanted to see if he was lying] sure enough it came up!!! Iv been looking for a psd and is part of the reason I was sale the bad bad bad BAD STANG!

Here is the info
99 powerstroke 7.3 for sale. 199,200 miles
New turbo
New alternator
New hpop (high pressure oil pump)
New batteries x2
2.5in leveling kit from pro comp
17" rims with BFG km2
6 speed manual transmission with new clutch 19,000 miles ago
New remanned injectors 15,000 miles ago.

So that being that..... I went ahead and took the offer.
The guy was straight up and said it had issues..... it starts up but is down on power and smoking.
He said it uses 2 gallons of oil in 40 miles.
He said multiple shops said they think it had issues with number 8 injector.... compression checks showed - lower compression on 8 but nothing to bad that would effect running - they said they felt like it was a injector seal or such.
Truck does have a ton of upgrades and is pretty straight on the body. I'll get pics up asap.....ITS CLEAN!

My question is! Does this sound like a injector issue to yall?

What is the worst case scenario?

If I end up needing a new engine - what year power stroke or idi engine would work with this truck with out flashing the computer or having to splice and cut up wiring? I would want something bolt and go.

I can get the 7.3 out here running from the scrap yard for around 350 - I gotta hunt a good one down and pull it.

I'm in KINDA rush so if I forgot something my bad. Appreciate you guy! Thanks.

Old 12-13-2014, 09:01 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
And just in case someone wants to know why 6500$ for a base model 6er...... This is why.

V6. 3.8. Heavily modded. 110lsa cam. All new roller set up. True duals. No cats. No egr system. 5 speed manual. Heads have about 1500 in work and parts. Long tube headers. Engine tuner [450$] that can change and adjust all aspects of the car. [Example - can turn off speed limiter - adjust idle - Gets 33mpg to 38mpg.- took it to okc on 20$ I drove 80 the whole way and had fuel left over. Its about 200miles in all. 3.73 gearing lsd. Has mini in dash dvd player and a lot more things.
Transmission is upgraded and is under warranty and most of the engine is.
03 mustang for sale: http://youtu.be/uyaC7Rd50no

75 to 105. 03 mustang: http://youtu.be/r1OzydLm5ls

Old 12-13-2014, 09:11 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like injector o rings too me. Check the fuel filter and if it is black I would say pull the injector replace the orings and inspect the injector cups for cracks. Also before pulling the injectors check the ohms.

Sorry about the Stang and that was nice of you to help the guy out by keeping him form going to jail. As long as no one was hurt I think you did good on the deal.

Old 12-14-2014, 07:10 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Any way to find out who put all those parts in and where the parts came from?

Sounds to me like someone changed all those under hood parts trying to fix a problem and now either haven't touched the original problem or have created a new one with bad parts.

My advice is invest in a scan tool or gauge that can read live data since you've got a lot of things to check. Till then, see if you can figure out where the oil is going. Remove the fuel filter and look for any signs of oil in the fuel. Remove the exhaust down pipe from the turbo and see if there are any signs of oil in there.

Old 12-15-2014, 03:45 AM
jgilrfr
Laughing Gas
compression test it

Old 12-16-2014, 04:38 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
Taking all bet - blown injector oring..... iv managed to get the drivers side injectors out. They all look like this one....http://rs1288.pbsrc.com/albums/b488/Bluemule93/Mobile%20Uploads/20141216_150231_zps589d836e.jpg~320x480

The middle being the worst. I'm pretty sure even tho these are not completely blown - they wear leaking. Differently not helping.

Thanks everyone for the help....

Anymore advice. Sorry for the delay in update

Old 12-16-2014, 04:39 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
Sounds like injector o rings too me. Check the fuel filter and if it is black I would say pull the injector replace the orings and inspect the injector cups for cracks. Also before pulling the injectors check the ohms.

Sorry about the Stang and that was nice of you to help the guy out by keeping him form going to jail. As long as no one was hurt I think you did good on the deal.
Thank you for the advice sir will do!

Old 12-16-2014, 04:41 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
Originally Posted by F350-6
Any way to find out who put all those parts in and where the parts came from?

Sounds to me like someone changed all those under hood parts trying to fix a problem and now either haven't touched the original problem or have created a new one with bad parts.

My advice is invest in a scan tool or gauge that can read live data since you've got a lot of things to check. Till then, see if you can figure out where the oil is going. Remove the fuel filter and look for any signs of oil in the fuel. Remove the exhaust down pipe from the turbo and see if there are any signs of oil in there.
A place called blackwater diesel did all the work. I'll be contacting then if it's not the injectors.
The owner confirmed that yes he was basically throwing parts at it trying to fix the issue.

Thanks anymore advice?

Old 12-16-2014, 06:34 PM
f350hammer
Senior User

Fuel in bowl is black..... does this mean injectors? Thanks again much appreciated

Old 12-16-2014, 06:40 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by f350hammer
Fuel in bowl is black..... does this mean injectors? Thanks again much appreciated
it means o-rings, like you suspected

Old 12-16-2014, 07:59 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
In most cases a black fuel filter would lead me to believe that the injector Orings are bad. And when you pull the injectors make sure the little copper washer isn't sitting in the bottom of the injector cup. So make sure you have all of the copper washers accounted for. And do not use the old copper washers which I am sure you knew that. And be careful installing new orings so not to damage them.."Lube"

Old 12-17-2014, 11:12 AM
f350hammer
Senior User
In most cases a black fuel filter would lead me to believe that the injector Orings are bad. And when you pull the injectors make sure the little copper washer isn't sitting in the bottom of the injector cup. So make sure you have all of the copper washers accounted for. And do not use the old copper washers which I am sure you knew that. And be careful installing new orings so not to damage them.."Lube"
Thank you sir. All the copper seals wear there. The passenger side is good but gonna change just in case.

Never actually found a broken or ring! I'm sure it was those 4 causing the issue. I'll get pics of the truck it self asap.
I didn't notice it until I got it home but it's a super duty. I forget what all I told ya lol about it but. It's a 250 - crewcab 4 door - 6 speed with granny gear - all electric - l.e.d light bar on cab - new halo head lights - Boddy paint is rinolinner. Has upgraded tires a wheels from a 07 f250.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:51 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
Did you get a chance to look at the pictures? Do you think they wear causing the issue?

IV almost got the truck bad together. I got pull the glow plugs and get the oil out of the cylinders and then I'll finish putting it back together. Once back together I'll test fire it!

Old 12-19-2014, 08:29 AM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Did you get a chance to look at the pictures? Do you think they wear causing the issue?

IV almost got the truck bad together. I got pull the glow plugs and get the oil out of the cylinders and then I'll finish putting it back together. Once back together I'll test fire it!
I did look at the photo and them O rings were in sad shape so I do believe that they could have been leaking. Sounds like you have it handled. When you go to start it I would unplug the ICP until it wants to start up. That way it sets the icp to default setting and helps purge the oil galley of air. Don't forget to put battery charger on and let the starter cool down between cranking.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:56 AM
f350hammer
Senior User
I did look at the photo and them O rings were in sad shape so I do believe that they could have been leaking. Sounds like you have it handled. When you go to start it I would unplug the ICP until it wants to start up. That way it sets the icp to default setting and helps purge the oil galley of air. Don't forget to put battery charger on and let the starter cool down between cranking.
OK so I'm trying to pull the glowplugs but it's not working. IV got a 10mm thin wall deep socket. I pull the plug and I can easily get the socket over the glow plug but it's not going on the head of the bolt/nut. It just goes over onto the plug and spins. It never bits or drops down any more.

Any advice?

Quick Reply: 99 psd. problems 911 please help