2011 to 2019 Explorer Discuss the 2011 to 2019 Explorer

2015 explorer pricing

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 09:25 PM
maytea
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 explorer pricing

Swore I would never buy anouther gm, but ford a plan lease pricing is still not competitive with gm supplier lease pricing.

Can not even get a factory original tow package on a base 2 wd explorer

Have to upgrade to an xlt package for $40/month more.

Trailor pkg is standard on base Acadia.

I hate to park a gm at my house, but looks like it is going to happen.

Old 12-13-2014, 08:04 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
$40 difference is a deal breaker ?!?!

maybe negotiate a bit harder or go to another dealer ?

good luck on your decision..

Old 12-13-2014, 05:08 PM
maytea
Senior User
re

$40/mnth more on a base lease vehicle that is same engine body etc is a big deal given that I get the bonus of a free factory trailor hitch.

I am A plan, so no negotiating.

I just have never understood why A plan does not beat GM pricing outright.

I still thing it is crazy I can not order a base model with hitch from factory. It is same engine and Chassi,

Old 12-17-2014, 01:12 PM
heymrdj
Posting Guru
Yeah right now GM is leader on leases. Hate to say it but it's true, I've been looking at the new 2015 silverados.

Fact is on a 48000$ truck GM is willing to get me out of my fiesta for about 435/m, while Ford is willing to give me an XLT Supercrew with base radio, 4x4, and a 5.0L for 415$/m without even factoring in negative equity. I let the dealer know that I found the numbers almost offending, if Ford really is the number 1 truck, their residuals should match that. But that's not the case. While I liked the F-150 better, fit and finish and power is NOT work 100$ a month. The 5.3L DI V8 is very powerful and the All Star truck is a VERY nice truck for that 100$ cheaper.

Plus the chebby gives you the 8" My Link Touch Screen, which I'm apparently not good enough to get unless I want to pay 500/m or more for a truck.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:52 AM
maytea
Senior User
Re

Thanks for confirming what I had been seeing. Thought I was crazy as everyone said a plan employee pricing would for sure get the best deal.

The last gm I purchased and had lots of repairs around 100k.

However if leasing, this is in no way a concern....

Old 12-19-2014, 11:14 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
And, how much has the bail out enabled GM to offer these deals? Easy to give a deal when someone else s money is helping out. It'll be a cold day in he!! before I buy another GM product.

Old 12-19-2014, 11:24 AM
maytea
Senior User
Re

Agree 100% on that point. I lost a bunch of $ on stock as I never thought they would be able to walk away from their dept...

Old 12-22-2014, 11:11 AM
heymrdj
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by raytasch
And, how much has the bail out enabled GM to offer these deals? Easy to give a deal when someone else s money is helping out. It'll be a cold day in he!! before I buy another GM product.
You can be cold and bitter about it all you want, that's your right. We can't change what the guberment did, and Ford still used money from banks that only survived based on our taxes. The fact is Ford doesn't have to do better on pricing because they can sell them at their current price point. But the rest of us younger generation that have to buy cars but are strapped with trying to pay off student loans and a 50K micro house for that life that we were promised from that previous generation need vehicles that don't cost 40K and still get at least 20MPG.

Welcome to the endless chain of shafting, rolling down the line since 1930.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:23 PM
LabCab
Laughing Gas
Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts
Color me confused.....
I have nothing positive to say here, so enjoy your GM vehicle and best of luck to you in the future. I sure hope you get what you want.....

Old 12-29-2014, 06:25 PM
heymrdj
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by LabCab
Color me confused.....
I have nothing positive to say here, so enjoy your GM vehicle and best of luck to you in the future. I sure hope you get what you want.....
Maybe if you're confused we could help unconfuse? What part confused you?

Old 12-30-2014, 10:57 AM
LabCab
Laughing Gas
Sorry,
I must have take your post wrong..... I read into the statements about school loans, negative equity, micro houses and promises not kept and lost track of what the focus of the thread was about. Almost went into one of my famous lectures I have used on my kids.....
As you said, Ford is pricing to the market, you may be able to find a better monthly payment with another make, but it sounds like you want a Ford. Only you know your whole situation and real needs. My best advice is do what you need to do, but try to NOT make deciisions based solely on monthly payment as dealers LOVE folks that make decisions just on monthly payment....
Best of luck to you and the original OP on your decisions. I say drive all the potential vehicles that meet your needs and buy based on long term ownership goals.
End of rant....

Old 12-30-2014, 11:31 AM
oneowner83
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Average loan duration on new cars is now around 6 years. Then they trade in and roll the deficit into the next loan. Then it all blows up and we have Great Recession - The Sequel.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:44 PM
LabCab
Laughing Gas
Yup,
I went with a 5 year loan on my 2015 Superduty, less than 15K borrowed to start and it will be paid off within 18 months. Loan is at 1.99%.
It is a trap for many young and old.....

Thanks to a great wife that has always been an awesome saver we don't buy till we can pay cash, but still finance a little for a short time just to get the extra finance rebate.
All my toys were bought with cash, not financed.

Old 12-30-2014, 03:50 PM
heymrdj
Posting Guru
Sorry,
I must have take your post wrong..... I read into the statements about school loans, negative equity, micro houses and promises not kept and lost track of what the focus of the thread was about. Almost went into one of my famous lectures I have used on my kids.....
As you said, Ford is pricing to the market, you may be able to find a better monthly payment with another make, but it sounds like you want a Ford. Only you know your whole situation and real needs. My best advice is do what you need to do, but try to NOT make deciisions based solely on monthly payment as dealers LOVE folks that make decisions just on monthly payment....
Best of luck to you and the original OP on your decisions. I say drive all the potential vehicles that meet your needs and buy based on long term ownership goals.
End of rant....
You can lecture if you like, not sure that it affects me but feel free. I have no neg equity currently, but I do have 50K in student loans after getting a masters. See when I went to college, I didn't have someone to hand me checks, like parents. I went to a state, non-private college, had all the grants I could get, and worked 2-3 jobs at a time from the first month I moved on campus. But I could only get 7.85 an hour so I didn't make very much to actually make headway. But I did what no one else that I knew from my tiny town of 6,000 people did, I got out. Everyone else is still working for the local Kmart (which just closed a few months ago, killing all their jobs) and for the most part living well below poverty. Me? I make a great living now. After making 10$ an hour for a few months, then losing that job and being jobless for months, racking up credit card bills to avoid moving 900 miles back home where I knew I couldn't get out again, I finally managed to get the job I'm still doing now, and make a great salary. Managed to melt over 27K of debt in just under two years.

But when my truck got totaled a new one wasn't an option. Not at 500$+ a month for something that didn't even have bluetooth. Looked at leasing a truck so I could keep a truck to do things I enjoyed, but Ford wasn't playing ball so I got the Fiesta. While I never mentioned monthly payment to them (I had my own financing lined up so I wasn't concerned with their monthly, just the best bottom line), lets face it, the lower the monthly payment the more that I could keep paying off my debt. And cash on hand? Laughable, I have liquidity for the next depression, I wasn't going to get rid of it on a consumable when I am far from trusting this economy.

The point of the "rant" is, for lots of Americans we are below the point of just cashing out on cars or trucks. I gave up boating, kayaking, and biking beyond the neighborhood so that I could get a fiesta rather than a truck. For most it'll be getting a loan so that they can get a truck. Personally, I always recommend the deep used route, but I didn't do that because having not transportation for more than 3 days is a fireable offense and I don't have liquidity for extended repairs and loaner cars. My brother tried it on a car that was supposed to be reliable, but now at 100K miles he's had to put about 5K in it total (I think more but I don't remember those items). He has cash on hand to handle that, but at what he put into the car originally, he could have been happier with a newer leased car, not something that doesn't have functioning ABS and a radio that doesn't work when it's more than 60 degrees.

Congrats on your truck, to afford those things you're living the dream. Many want to get there, but many also need a people mover well before they reach your ripe old age, and sometimes that money isn't there. We all come from different walks of life. At the end of the day, the monthly cost matters to us. At least, the you would have figured the amount of time it would take to restore that money back to 100% in the least amount of time and figured the loss of liquidity vs the interest.

Old 12-30-2014, 03:52 PM
heymrdj
Posting Guru
Yup,
I went with a 5 year loan on my 2015 Superduty, less than 15K borrowed to start and it will be paid off within 18 months. Loan is at 1.99%.
It is a trap for many young and old.....

Thanks to a great wife that has always been an awesome saver we don't buy till we can pay cash, but still finance a little for a short time just to get the extra finance rebate.
All my toys were bought with cash, not financed.
Anyone that carries a loan outside the full bumper to bumper warranty is definitely foolhardy at best.

Quick Reply: 2015 explorer pricing