6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

coolant filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 12:11 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Grant-Dieseltech
Who makes those? I've never seen that type of filter.
I went to an auto parts store for a replacement filter for Dieselsite coolant filter. Can't remember the name of the parts store, maybe NRC? I noticed that the filter sounded like it had a ball inside of it when I shook it so I asked the parts guy about it, wondering if it was faulty. He said it was an SCA charged filter and had an additive that was good for the cooling system. I mentioned how finicky the 6.0 is, especially the cooling system, and he said that it was no problem. Stupidly, I believed him and installed it before consulting with FTE. 8 months later I read on Dieselsite's website saying to NOT USE SCA FILTERS!!! Oops. Drain and flush, drain and flush... While flushing, however, it was discovered there was diesel in the cooling system so things definitely got flushed well during head replacement. Not sure if the SCA charged filter had anything to do with this or not, but SCA is still a bad thing as Ford Gold coolant will jell when mixed with incompatible additives or coolants.

The moral of the story is, SCA filters DO exist at local auto parts stores. Do a search on this forum as this has been discussed before. There is a list of acceptable filters to use with your coolant filter setup on one of the earlier threads. Don't deviate.

Old 12-10-2014, 12:17 PM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
list

Fleetguard WF-2077
Baldwin B5134
Baldwin B5089 (shorter)
John Deere RE11992
Caterpillar 9Y4528
Cummins 3300721
Wix 24070
NAPA 4070
NAPA 4069 (one inch shorter)
AC-Delco WF-108
Fram PR3383
Donaldson P554685
Alliance (Freightliner) WF2077
CarQuest 89070
Hasting WC8
Purolator W54451

Old 12-10-2014, 12:26 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks, I was searching for that list but couldn't find it.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:18 PM
Grant-Dieseltech
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah the 24070 Wix is all I've ever used.
With the old IDI trucks I would actually add the bottle of Wixcool SCA to the coolant because those things are so prone to cavitation.

Have never seen a 6.0 make a pin hole from the water jacket to the cylinder like they would. I know ford starting adding the SCA to the coolant in the late 90s though.

Old 12-10-2014, 08:06 PM
Lynnmcmahan
Junior User
Originally Posted by amdriven2liv
Add a filter, change a filter.

If you decide to go this route, I did, make sure you lube the filter's o-ring. The most complaints I've seen about coolant filters is getting the old one off.
Amen to that brother. Had to uninstall and use a vice, a monkey wrench, and a few choice words to get it loose.
Put a saws all to the filter which revealed, nothing. Guess I should be happy but somehow I think I would like to have seen a pile of crud.

Old 12-10-2014, 11:00 PM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Lynnmcmahan
Amen to that brother. Had to uninstall and use a vice, a monkey wrench, and a few choice words to get it loose.
Put a saws all to the filter which revealed, nothing. Guess I should be happy but somehow I think I would like to have seen a pile of crud.
The most I have had to do to get the filter off was cuss. Which goes against my luck on things mechanical! ( I did find my three torx bits when I changed my turbo!)

Just so you know, I had a filter plug and I cut it open and found nothing!!!

Not sure why it plugged, but I kid you not, the dang thing quit flowing coolant.

It was my third filter. The other 2 did show signs of sand and crud in there.

Old 12-12-2014, 07:40 PM
stroked4life
Junior User
coolant filter

definitely recommend a coolant filter. Had an oil cooler plug up. I cut it apart and it was plugged with fine grit. my truck only had 47,000 mi. on it. Changed the oil cooler, and a ton of other goodies , and installed the sinister coolant filter set up. I ran the wix filter for 8K each time (im on the 4th one now) and each time they have had some sort of fines in them. Definitely worth adding .

Old 12-12-2014, 08:10 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 80 Posts
Just to put all the facts out there, several people here would say it's simply not necessary and they have some good points.

It's added complexity, meaning more things that could leak.
It's added costs, both to purchase the set-up and the filters in the future.
It's another maintenance thing to keep track of. (And we have plenty already )
If you flush thoroughly, it shouldn't have any foreign stuff in the coolant.
If you change coolant on schedule it shouldn't be creating more corrosion.

On the other hand, the argument would be:
The oil cooler passages are so small, I want to put something in the system that's smaller so I'm not using my oil cooler as a filter.
It don't cost that much and isn't a huge hassle.
I'll spring the $$ for a quality part so I don't have to worry about future failures.
I think it will look cool.
I like the piece of mind, even if the filters do come out clean.

Maybe that will help you make up your mind. I hope this post don't come off as "smarty" but I tend to think things out like this when I'm having trouble making up my mind about something.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:54 PM
jswartz84
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well, I don't have a coolant filter. My cooling system has always been clean, no residue in the degas bottle or anything. So, no I don't think it's necessary (for me).

I think this is one of those additions that you need to see for yourself if you need it or not. Personally, if I don't need it, I don't want the parts under my hood.

Old 12-12-2014, 10:11 PM
woodlander
Senior User
Mine has been that way as well. However I cut my first filter apart and was full of gelled coolant. I will keep mine.

Old 12-12-2014, 11:14 PM
jswartz84
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by woodlander
Mine has been that way as well. However I cut my first filter apart and was full of gelled coolant. I will keep mine.
Are you running Ford Gold?

Old 12-13-2014, 08:15 AM
woodlander
Senior User
I just switched over to CAT-ELC last month.

Old 12-13-2014, 09:00 AM
jswartz84
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by woodlander
I just switched over to CAT-ELC last month.
Personally, I think that is the best choice.

Old 12-13-2014, 09:12 AM
woodlander
Senior User
Im hoping it is a good choice. Wonder how many folks have have had further issues after switching over to elc?

Old 12-13-2014, 10:33 AM
stroked4life
Junior User
Coolant filter

My system was clean as far as I could tell, and with 2 coolant flushes and only 47000 miles on the truck , I figured there was no way I could need a coast filter. No way that it would be dirty. Then i started tracking my eot/ect and noticed a growing differential in temps. Which is fairly common in our trucks. $30 for a filter and $150 ( can't remember actual price) for the filter kit is a lot cheaper and easier than doing another oil cooler swap. Looks can be deceiving. Anyways to each their own

Quick Reply: coolant filter