Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rollover

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 02:30 AM
crazytwo
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My intention was not to hijack this thread. The only reason for injecting the pictures was someone was impressed with the engineering from Ford. I didn't want other people to be impressed because I know the roof is a weakness on the EX. I DON'T WANT PEOPLE TO BE IMPRESSED WITH FORD ENGINEERING WHEN IT COMES TO THE ROOF. I just want people to know the reality of the vehicle they are driving. In a solo rollover, I want to be in a MBZ. In any accident with another vehicle, I want to be in my EX...unless I've got 2 tons of crap loaded behind me.

Whenever I hear Excursion and rollover in the same sentence, I pray that the occupants are OK. The OP had 8 people in that truck and it makes me very happy that they all walked away from that wreck.

I was less impressed that someone was claiming parts off of that vehicle 2 hours after the OP started this thread. Hey, are you going to finish those fries?

Old 12-09-2014, 11:05 AM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by crazytwo
I DON'T WANT PEOPLE TO BE IMPRESSED WITH FORD ENGINEERING WHEN IT COMES TO THE ROOF. I just want people to know the reality of the vehicle they are driving. In any accident with another vehicle, I want to be in my EX...unless I've got 2 tons of crap loaded behind me.
And honestly I'm glad you pointed that out. They were blessed and it was a great thing. Our trucks are tanks, but all tanks have weaknesses and just because this one got through it fine does not give us all a pass. It did need to be said, reps sent

I was less impressed that someone was claiming parts off of that vehicle 2 hours after the OP started this thread.
That was just Krazee Matt, there is no way he was serious about that There are tons of seats close to him (south*ish* Texas) and shipping makes those worthless to him. I'll put my name out there on the line that he only did it to lighten the mood He's a great great guy and wouldn't do that.

Old 12-09-2014, 11:21 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Sometimes I can't figure you and the things you say out.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ford...shes+pictures+
lletin/580x435/80-train_blog03_85544defed7dc2a30bd0c480fd0e2c4995ad7 7c7.jpg[/IMG]
Basically what I was saying was that the drop test meant nothing. It was like an ad on TV that said their paper towels pick up more. How high was is dropped from? how much was missing out of it? etc. It's like betting on another mans game............stupid Now you see where I am coming from? We are on the same page.

Old 12-10-2014, 01:06 PM
nate0031
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
God, drunk drivers get me in a rage. I knew a person who got a DUI. Complained about the stiffness of the penalties for a first time offense, and went on about how they're a better driver when drunk. Just wanted to knock 'em out.

Old 12-10-2014, 01:12 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
The only I was injured was when I jumped in a car with a drunk driver.

Old 12-10-2014, 03:31 PM
kennisonxgs
Senior User
Terrible situation, but good results given the known Excursion weakness.

Originally Posted by EXv10
The only I was injured was when I jumped in a car with a drunk driver.
Did both of you bump heads and sustained injuries?

Old 12-10-2014, 08:21 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by kennisonxgs
Terrible situation, but good results given the known Excursion weakness.

Did both of you bump heads and sustained injuries?
Why would you want to say something like that?

Old 12-10-2014, 08:33 PM
nate0031
Junior User
I'm not sure it was clear what you meant. Did you mean you rode with an intoxicated driver and were involved in an accident?

For some reason, when I read it, I imagined you jumping into the passenger seat and headbutting the driver, then you both just laying there dazed. But my imagination is a bit weird.

Old 12-10-2014, 08:40 PM
Immortal_Ben
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Somehow people expect that a 4 ton vehicle will not squish the roof down a good bit if it lands wheels up???

Old 12-10-2014, 10:00 PM
1 Excursion camper
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I took it out before I saw your posts.

Look everyone, I'm not slamming the EX. I have one and drive it every day. But I'm no fool to think that I'm not going to get squashed like a bug in a rollover because mine is bigger than 99% of the cars on the road.

I laugh when someone says not a real world test. You think freeway speeds will cause less damage than dropping a car from 12 inches? If anyone wants to live in LaLa Land because they are driving an Excursion - THE LARGEST PRODUCTION SUV IN THE UNIVERSE, be my guest.

Out of all those pics only a few were really crushed. and you could tell those were more than a simple roll over! the rest faired really good for an 8k lb tank.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:21 AM
kennisonxgs
Senior User
Originally Posted by nate0031
I'm not sure it was clear what you meant. Did you mean you rode with an intoxicated driver and were involved in an accident?

For some reason, when I read it, I imagined you jumping into the passenger seat and headbutting the driver, then you both just laying there dazed. But my imagination is a bit weird.
Not weird at all. Your interpretation is slightly more humorous than mine, but the same concept.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:38 AM
dougger222
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad to hear the OP's family was not seriously hurt in this accident.

Around this time last year hit a patch of black ice on a bridge towing a 20ft flat bed with my 2 year old in the middle/middle seat. Speed limit 60 was doing 55 when I lost control. The trailer first hit the concrete median and then the rear driver side of the Excursion hit hard. The trailer hit a vehicle in the right lane as well.

I never stopped the X on the road knowing how dangerous that would have been, pulled onto a side street and called the police to report the accident (out of state driver hit). My phone was on the center counsel and during the accident it didn't move an inch.

The concrete may have been the saving grace because you never know what could have happened without it slowing me down and getting me straightened out.

The cop thanked me for pulling onto a side street, after giving us the accident report (no citations) he had to go back to the same spot as another accident had occurred.

The Excursion was a total insurance loss but we collected and had it repaired and still daily drive it. The year before driving the other direction had to travel 25 miles on black ice and on the same bridge noticed a guys mirror got busted off and he was on the ice rink trying to get it, that was one of the dumbest thing's I've seen on the road...

Feel much safer with my family of 5 in one of the X's rather than a small SUV or car.

Old 12-11-2014, 08:19 AM
jspence105
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad everyone is well! Time to start looking for a replacement.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:23 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by nate0031

I was a kid then and he pulled up in his custom 48 Chevy and drunk, I hopped in, we went out on a back road, he started driving fast and complaining about women, crashed into a tree, and my face hit the metal dash.

Old 12-11-2014, 02:44 PM
nate0031
Junior User
I think I like my version better...

In all seriousness, I'm sorry to hear that happened. Glad to see it wasn't your last car ride.

Quick Reply: Rollover